Author Topic: Female mastiff UTI's and vaginitis problems  (Read 8710 times)

Offline mastiffs55

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Female mastiff UTI's and vaginitis problems
« on: February 24, 2007, 03:16:57 pm »
Hello, I have been reading the problems people are having with the never ending UTI's and vaginal infections. I just want to say I've been through it all with my 2 1/2 year Englapaleon Mastiff. (cross between english and neo). I have spent hundreds on different meds, and my vet decided it was in her best interest to have a vulvoplasty. Where they surgically reform the depressed vulva. I would NEVER do this again to my poor dog. It was HORRIBLE!!!! And I had a top quality vet! The $600.00 operation turned into a $2,000.00 nightmare! And she still has the infections! The stingy discharge coming out of her.
Really research before doing anything this drastic. After spending thousnabds on her, and all the meds I've run through her, she still has the same problems. Does anyone out there really know how to clear this up for once and for all??
Her name is Gracie-Mae, and she weighs 155. I also have an older english mastiff, Khlo-wormie, who weighs 210.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: Female mastiff UTI's and vaginitis problems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 09:14:51 am »
I have two female English mastiffs, both started out with frequent infections.  The oldest has a "pocket" of skin completely covering the vulva, which apparently helps hold bacteria in, and increasing instances of infection.  I tried all the usual meds, and nothing worked to clear them up for good.  So, I switched to the holistic answer- adding apple cider vinegar to their drinking water, and nobody has had ANY infections since.  (About 1 tablespoon per gallon of drinking water, or 1/8th cup measuring cup per 2 gallon bucket.)  Good luck! I hope your baby gets through this soon!

Weedsport, NY

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:56:49 am »
You can also try cranberry capsules- you can get them at the health stores

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:56:01 pm »
The apple cider vinegar idea seems like a good one.

Rosie's had chronic bouts with UTIs since she was a puppy. She hasn't had one in the last 5 months with her current routine:
Royal Canin Urinary SO 13 special veterinary diet
1/2 tsp Methionine urine acidifier
600 mg of cranberry
600 mg of vitamin C
All of these with each meal.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 06:54:02 pm »
Maia, my English Mastiff has had quite a few UTIs.  I give her yogurt and cranberry juice in small quanitities twice a week.  It's a nice treat and she seems to be UTI free.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs