Author Topic: No Dew Claws!!!  (Read 6512 times)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
No Dew Claws!!!
« on: March 02, 2007, 11:34:42 am »
Otis has no hind dew claws!!!  I checked both legs and can find nothing???  I was told about the double dew claws showing that a pyr was a prue breed and to be honest I forgot to look when we got him  :-[.  Both the parents were there when got him and I got to love on them they sure had all the looks of pyrs and the owner said that they were prue....  Can a pruebred have no dew claws??
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

angelsmama

Re: No Dew Claws!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:38:58 am »
I've met many many Pyr's and all of them had double dew's. According to AKC and other sites, it's a serious fault if they don't have double dew's, and sometimes mean the dog isn't purebred. Contact his breeder and talk to her about it.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:55:54 am »
Is it possible that the breeder had the dewclaws removed?  I know Koby's breeder had his removed and you can tell they were there at one time, there's tiny scars where they should be. You might want to contact the breeder to ask, I'm not sure if Pyr breeders remove the dew claws normally.  Hopefully someone else can help a little more.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 12:51:48 am »
For some reason, some vets don't realize that Great Pyrenees are SUPPOSED to have double dewclaws. My vet for example removed Mokey's while she was under anesthesia for her spay. I didn't ask him to do it, he really thought he was doing me a favor. I was mortified when I found out what happened. But life goes on. I think he thought they would get caught on stuff and cause her problems or injury. :(
Maybe when your pup's litter was born the vet removed their dewclaws when they were a few days old...? A lot of breeders (of other purebred dogs) bring their pups in at a few days old and the vets remove dewclaws at this time, they don't even need stitches.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, and I think it's definitely time to call the breeder.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 02:27:51 pm »
For some reason, some vets don't realize that Great Pyrenees are SUPPOSED to have double dewclaws. My vet for example removed Mokey's while she was under anesthesia for her spay. I didn't ask him to do it, he really thought he was doing me a favor. I was mortified when I found out what happened. But life goes on. I think he thought they would get caught on stuff and cause her problems or injury. :(
Maybe when your pup's litter was born the vet removed their dewclaws when they were a few days old...? A lot of breeders (of other purebred dogs) bring their pups in at a few days old and the vets remove dewclaws at this time, they don't even need stitches.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, and I think it's definitely time to call the breeder.

Actually a lot of breeders remove the dewclaws themselves within the first 3 days after they are born...

I knew someone who bred Pugs that would do this.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 12:37:53 pm »
Otis has no hind dew claws!!!  I checked both legs and can find nothing???  I was told about the double dew claws showing that a pyr was a prue breed and to be honest I forgot to look when we got him  :-[.  Both the parents were there when got him and I got to love on them they sure had all the looks of pyrs and the owner said that they were prue....  Can a pruebred have no dew claws??
All Great Pyrenees have to have their dew claws!!! They do not need to be removed! Every breeder should know it. I think you have a real issue with yours though...first you got a boy and was told that it's a girl...then this? You really should get back there and talk to the breeder. 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:15:51 pm »
All Great Pyrenees have to have their dew claws!!! They do not need to be removed! Every breeder should know it. I think you have a real issue with yours though...first you got a boy and was told that it's a girl...then this? You really should get back there and talk to the breeder. 
Yeah, you are right everything with getting this guy just was all a$$backwards ::).  Even all my so called research didn't turn up things that I am finding out about this breed.  I was surprized not to see the dew claws but then they really don't matter as we aren't breeding or showing him.  This certainly has been a learning curve  ;)

I never did get back to the breeder on any of this thou.  Hubby and I talked about it and decided it wasn't worth it as the whole familly just loves this not so little guy and what would we do, give him back  :o.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:27:41 pm »
Awww, yeah who cares! But just the way I am I would have to get back with the breeder and drill her with questions cause my mind is like that. He's a cutie though! How old is he now? I remember that's the first thing I did when I picked mine up was look for the dewclaws haha. My stupid vet kept telling me she wanted to remove them when she spayed/neutered them..but she's dumb. ;D Is that a recent pic of him on your avatar?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:28:48 pm »
i just noticed the date on the pic, duh..guess it's not recent lol. i'd like to see some new pics of your guy!

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 01:38:01 pm »
i just noticed the date on the pic, duh..guess it's not recent lol. i'd like to see some new pics of your guy!
No I haven't got any more recent ones of him but I have to.  Problem is he is a huge dirtball!!! :o.  I should have called him Swiffer instead of Otis as everything attaches to him.  I have to almost scrap him off before he comes in the house.  He is not a white dog anymore - dirt, leaves, sticks, grass, you name it it is stuck to him.  I get him all brushed up and looking presentable and within 30 seconds of being outside he is covered all over again.  Definate pigpen  :D

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 01:40:27 pm »
lol he sounds exactly like mine, exactly! i stopped letting them outside unsupervised because of how grey and ugly they get and even still, they  manage to with me watching. in they come with mulch, leaves, small branches, whatever sticks to them lol.. i'm happy to have an Oreck- it's gets severly abused. ;D

after i bathe them, i never remember them being that white lol
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:41:18 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 02:00:38 pm »
alot of breeders that feature *pet quality* will go ahead and remove the dewclaws when they are babies so that they don't catch on things when they are older.....
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox