Author Topic: socialization ? and pics  (Read 1361 times)

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
socialization ? and pics
« on: March 10, 2007, 12:38:47 am »
I thought we had done a pretty good job of socializing Shaggy.  We have 5 children.  Their friends and the neighborhood kids are in and out all of the time, we take trips to Petsmart and he is in obedience training.

Today, when I picked up my son from preschool, the teacher asked me to bring Shaggy in.  He was fine until the kids came up to him.  He wanted out of there PRONTO and took off for the exit.  There was a woman there that had had a saint as a child and he wanted nothing to do with her either! He is only 13 months old.  Could it have something to do with his age?  How can I get him over this?  Please Help!

The pics are of Shaggy and our 14 month old Sheperd mix Max.
Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: socialization ? and pics
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:22:46 am »
Maybe he felt a little overwhelmed. He was not on familiar ground.  When all the strange children came at one time it probably was too much.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: socialization ? and pics
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:10 am »
Maybe he felt a little overwhelmed. He was not on familiar ground.  When all the strange children came at one time it probably was too much.

i agree.  new floors, buildings, and a crowd of loud kids can send anyone into a panic, so i agree that he was probably just overwhelmed.  there's a difference in socializing with one or two people at a time in a place you've been before, and going to a new building with a crowd of little kids running at you!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]