Author Topic: Dock Diving  (Read 6308 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Dock Diving
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:22:18 am »
Has anyone tried dock diving with your pups?  I'm looking for something to do with Kaila now that I have free time again.  She loved agility but since she has had two partial ACL tears just playing in the back yard I was hoping for something a little less stressful on her legs.  She loves the jumping part of agility the best and dock diving seems like it would be better on her because the water would cushion her landing and then she has to swim back to shore.  Am I thinking correctly on this or way off base.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I still have to take her some place and see if she can swim first. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Dock Diving
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 10:37:30 am »
That's too funny.  Now I have a mental image of you pushing Jack off the dock on his red couch.  :D  There is a website called dockdogs.com that says they take any dog.  They have Chis to Danes doing this sport. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 07:31:43 pm »
Wow thats a neat website.....I would like to try something like that with Rosie--provided she can swim...lol
Farley would be a definite NO--lol. Puck would have in his younger years :)

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:36:14 am »
That's too funny.  Now I have a mental image of you pushing Jack off the dock on his red couch.  :D 

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!  I got that same mental image! Tina throwing her shoulder into the side of the couch pushing get it to go off the dock while Jack just lays there with the remote! lol 

Ok anyway enough imagining...I think dock diving would be a fun thing to do with your dog.  I've seen labs/retrievers in dock diving contests and it's fun to watch!  The dogs look like they're having a blast too! 

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:59:14 am »
We don't do it competively, but Sully loves to jump off the dock when we go up to my in-laws cabin in Northern Minnesota. They do use there back legs for pushing off, so I am not sure if that would be good for the ACL.

Here are some pics from last summer.

Stacie

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:10:33 am »
that would be so much fun, but we have to put all ours on a leash just to get them further than 2 foot off the shore.  lazy bums.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 08:57:02 am »
Wow thats a neat website.....I would like to try something like that with Rosie--provided she can swim...lol
Farley would be a definite NO--lol. Puck would have in his younger years :)

Doesn't need to be able to swim :)  Find a big enough lifejacket and the rules allow them to wear it in most competitions.  My little girl only with lifejacket has learned how to swim recently without.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~