Author Topic: Another one found me!  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Another one found me!
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:46:08 pm »
This just happened!  Aaron and I were going to the house to feed and spend time with "the kids". As we were driving past the apartments at the front of the street, I saw a dog curled up by one of the dumpsters. It didn't move so my first thought was, Some bastard just threw a dead dog out at the dumpster.

But the dog was curled up like it was asleep so I wasn't sure. So, on our way back, we stopped at the dumpster. The dog was still there, still curled up, but as I walked closer she lifted her head. I went up to her and she got up on her front legs and started wiggling. She seemed a little tentative about moving so I wasn't sure if she was hurt or not.

I asked some apartment residents if they knew who she belonged to and they said she'd been running around all day, but they had never seen her before.

Well, you all know me - I couldn't just leave her there to get hit by a car. So, while Aaron held her and gave her some attention, I ran back to the house and grabbed a leash and some food.

As Fate would have it, I ran into my neighbor Mary and her two dogs, Bowser and Mercedes just heading out for their evening walk. I asked her if she would be able to keep another dog for the night. To my surprise, she said, "Of course! We have a kennel in the backyard that never gets used."  Mary is an Angel.

We walked the dog, a smallish-medium-sized golden retriever/terrier mix (at my best guess) back to her house and secured her in the kennel with a spare comforter from Mary, some food and fresh water. Mary said if she seemed scared tonight she would probably end up in her daughter Carolyn's bedroom.

The dog seems to be slightly injured on her back hip. She still puts weight on it and can sure pull herself along (and me!) on the leash, but she walks a little wonky. She also had a collar on, was fairly clean and well-fed so I am hoping she is just lost and someone is looking for her.

She's very friendly, seems healthy, and is quite young.
I'm going to see if Mary will keep her for a couple of days so I have time to put a found ad in the paper tomorrow and give her owners a chance to find her before taking her to the shelter. I just don't have the money right now to take her to the vet or I would try to get her placed myself.

I'll try to get pictures of her tomorrow.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Re: Another one found me!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 09:31:46 pm »
awwww! I cannot wait to see the pics!!!
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Anakalia

Re: Another one found me!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:47:46 am »
Awww Jeanne you're wonderful for trying to help that poor girl!  I can't wait to see pics!  ;D