Author Topic: keeps biting me  (Read 4929 times)

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
keeps biting me
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:39:07 pm »
My dog's name is Bear and everytime I try to pull him by his collar to take him outside he starts growling at me and leaning his head back like he's going to bite me. He also does it when I try to get him off the couch. He's never hurt me but I want it to stop. How do I get him to stop? ???

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: keeps biting me
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 03:29:23 pm »
just a few questions, so that we can better answer your question.

1.  how old is your dog, and is he a rescue or have you had him ever since he left his mom?
2.  has he had any neck injuries (ingrown collar, or otherwise) that you're aware of?
3.  is he ONLY like this when you grab his collar.
4.  what, if anything yet, have you tried to correct this behavior already?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:33:32 pm »
My dog is a 1 year old and I've had him since he was a puppy. He has never had a neck injury or anything related to that. I had someone else pull him outside he did it for a second and relized it wasn't working so he stopped so I guess if I act like it dosen't bother me he'll stop. But he's huge so I will just have to try.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:50:28 pm »
It would be good to know what breed your dog is,but have you tried to keep a leash or a *short leash* on him.That way you can give him a quick correction and lead him off or out.??With out fear of a bite,

He could be picking up on your fear,which makes you weak in the dog world.Instead of the leader.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 05:38:27 pm »
He's half great pyrenese and half australian shepherd. I have tried the leash but he lays on the ground. I must have done something wrong. :'(

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 05:55:13 pm »
when he does it, what do you do?  do you back off or correct him?  the second any of our dogs growl they get a sharp "NO" so they know i won't tolerate it.  how hard do you pull on him when you grab his collar?  if he reacts like this every time you grab his collar maybe you are hurting him unintentionall y, or you or someone else may have accidentally in the past and it makes him uncomfortable now.  have you taught him the "come" command?  maybe you could use it instead of grabbing him.  do you only grab his collar when you try to get him off the couch or to take him outside, or is this just the only time he reacts?  if this only happens in these two situations, he may need an attitude adjustment, and you could try the NILIF (nothing in life is free) training, or maybe just a lot of obedience work with him.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:57:35 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 06:17:46 pm »
I correct him, I hope I'm not hurting him but he is a big dog so I try to pull him just enough so that he'll know where I want him to go. He only does it when I am going to take hime outside. He has this sixth sense when he knows what I want him to do but listening to me is a different story. I think it's because he's half great pyrenees. They tend to do what they want not what the owner wants.

Someone told me that I should show him that I'm the boss and to grab his nose or hit it. I will not do that. I just want him to let me take him outside without a fight.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:34:58 am »
you could try the NILIF program, i've heard great things about it although i don't know the exacts of it.  also, you could do a lot of obedience to help.  have you tried just not letting him on the couch?  the scat mats work great for that if you can afford them.   i've heard GP are very hard headed, but i've also heard that persistent owners get what they want after training a lot too.  just remember, YOU'RE in charge.  you brought them into the house.  if you let them get away with something small, just like most big paws they'll eventually run all over you.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441775467&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033166&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1173882688727&itemNo=0&In=Dog&N=2033166&Ne=2
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:33:33 am »
Have you tried luring him with treats?  I would use that to get him off your couch and saying the word "off".  Reward him when he listens.
I'd also use a treat lure to get him outside.  My dogs know "outside" and love being out there.  "In the house" is a whole other can of worms over here.
You can also practice luring him around with treats, working up to a point where you can grab him by the collar and rewarding him for letting you do so.  He has associated you grabbing his collar with negativity so you'll have to change that.

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:21:35 pm »
Thanks for the advise I'll try it.

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 05:49:17 pm »
I tried it. He follows me when I have food but I'm worried about him. He has never hurt me and I doubt he would but I'm worried if someone grabbed his collar he'd act like he was going to bite them. Has anyone had this kind of problem with a pyr?