Author Topic: CALIFORNIA PEOPLE! New bad law from the legislature  (Read 5240 times)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
CALIFORNIA PEOPLE! New bad law from the legislature
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:52:18 pm »
Here's a link to the text of the bill.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1601-1650/ab_1634_bill_20070223_introduced.html

It's essentially a mandatory spay/neuter bill, but there are some very untenable aspects to it for legitimate breeders and show owners, not the least of which is that every local jurisdiction has the ability to 1--set it's OWN arbitrary price for the "intact" permit that every single unaltered dog or cat has to have, without any kind of restriction, and 2--decide for itself what to consider a legitimate registry beyond the 4 that the bill specifies, which are AKC, UKC, Amer Dog Breeders Assoc, & Intl Cat Assoc. That means that that ARBA and some of the other rare breed registries are subject to random discrimination by local officials.

A breeder or show owner with several dogs could end up paying literally THOUSANDS of dollars annually just for the intact animal permits.

Not to mention, someone who has a Catahoula Leopard Dog could find themselves completely out of luck if their local anti-dog nut in the Animal Welfare department decides that they don't like the sound of the American Rare Breed Association. Or a breeder who's working on a small scale with a developing breed could find themselves out in the cold because they've chosen to work with the Animal Research Foundation--which has been around for more than 60 years, but works mostly with very localized breeds, often with developing or 'savior' breeds. I only know about it because it came up here in the office in reference to a story, but it's a legit registry (even if I do question a couple of the 'breeds' under development... :-\)

I'll be calling MY representative s in Sacramento to register my objections to this bill. It's better than the LAST mess, but it's still too random, as far as I'm concerned.
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline AnimalSavers

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: CALIFORNIA PEOPLE! New bad law from the legislature
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:10:29 pm »
This bill would save animal lives and, like all legislation, help educate the public of the critical importance of spaying and neutering. Mandated spay/neuter is the only way to truly prrevent the great overpopulation of dogs and cats and the unspeakable practice of animal slaughter as a means of population control.
In my extensive experience with the low income public, free spay/neuter, which I offered for 8 years, was simply not enough. My program offered free transportation for these animals, but that was not enough. Countless people negligently and intentionally breed their mixed breed their animals regardless of their fate and the fate of their offspring. Currently in my community, Sacramento County, $20.00 spay/neuter for low income dog owners and $10.00 spay/neuter for low income cat owners is availabe, but probably only 10% of the targeted population takes advantage of it. Billboards and other local campaigns to prevent the despicable slaughter of 50 animals daily in Sacramento City and County shelters by altering ones pets go virtually unheeded with as many excuses as there are unwanted pets.
If there is only a 10% compliance with the proposed bill AB1634, thousands of animals will be spared the terror of animal shelters and mass slaughter.
California is a leader in humane legislation. With the passage of this excellent bill, the rest of the country is sure to follow, saving millions of animals from this dismal fate. Diane Goldman, Founder/Director, AnimalSavers http://www.animalsavers.petfinder.com

Offline ForTheLoveOfMargo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: CALIFORNIA PEOPLE!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:21:19 pm »

RED ALERT!
THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO THINK THAT DOGS AND CATS ARE PROPERTY! THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THAT BLACKS AND WOMEN WERE PROPERTY! PLEASE BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THESE SMALL MINDED PEOPLE WHO THINK THINK IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM, MONEY AND HOBBIES!!!

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THE WORKING DOGS: HOW MUCH AN HOUR ARE YOU PAID, AND DO YOU HAVE BENEFITS? OR, IS YOUR "OWNER" MUCH LIKE A "SLAVE" OWNER OF THE PAST, OR, THE HIRER OF AN ILLEGAL ALIEN IN THE CURRENT? DO THEY WANT TO MASS PRODUCE YOU? ARE YOUR "OWNERS" STUCK IN A PUPPY MILL MENTALITY?

I CAN HELP. I'M BILL. BILL AB 1634. I'M GOING TO FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS. AND, WHEN WE NEED MORE HELP, WE'RE GOING TO FIGHT FOR MORE OF YOUR RIGHTS!

LOVE,
ForTheLoveOfMa rgo, your friend, your supporter.