Author Topic: We just got a Dobie/Rottie mix!  (Read 7141 times)

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
We just got a Dobie/Rottie mix!
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:49:42 am »
We got him (Bo) at the shelter yesterday and he was/is emaciated.  He's about 4.5 months old and a real cutie.  I've never been very partial to dobies, but I just COULDN'T leave him in there looking like that....the other dogs in his cage obviously were more aggressive and he looks like he hadn't had a real meal in weeks.  We picked him up around 4pm yesterday and he ate 3 times before we went to bed.  Poor baby....

Anyway, does anyone here have this mix??

Carey

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: We just got a Dobie/Rottie mix!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 10:58:58 am »
He is a sweetie!...The longer I am here at  B.P.'s the more & more I am liking the Rotts & Dobies!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 02:38:19 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:02:04 am »
I couldn't agree more Gypsy! I have never had either, but many people here have them and I am sure they will help you out with a lot of useful information! Very cute pup by the way.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

SaraphWolf79

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 01:49:14 pm »
Hi!  I had a part rottie/dobie for 11 years.  He was (and still, I can say)  the best dog I've ever owned.  He was the most intelligent and loyal dog a person could ever own.  My dad actually rescued him from a place that bred and raised hunting dogs.  Dad told me he looked a little silly in the group of setters and pointers lol and just sat there disinterested while the other dogs barked and went mad at the presence of a guest.  He talked the owner of the place in letting him take Ben home, and so from that day on, he was officially part of the family. 

Besides that time, that was the closest we've ever come to "rescuing" a dog...until I went a few months ago and adopted my Husky.  He too was very malnourished, and I immediately took him to the vet to get a check-up.  Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with heartworms :(  But praise God, the my local animal shelter provides free insurance coverage for a month, so they reimbursed me for the money I paid to have his treatment done.

He's been through a lot I'd say, and a pretty high-maintenance dog at that lol but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Congrats to your new pup!

Carrie   

Offline Rottndawg

• Gnawer
  • Jake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 09:36:12 pm »
We just adopted a rottie/dobie mix also!  We picked her up at the shelter one week ago today, she is approx 9 mos old.  It's been a LONG week!

Sue

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:49:00 am »
Hey Sue...what's your pup's temperment?  Bo is REALLY docile.  He hasn't barked, jumped, done any puppy-type things at ALL.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 11:52:21 am »
I beet it has been a long week!  I was just wondering the other day what one of these pups would look like. 
Kinda cute!

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 10:15:16 am »
Well, good news!  Baby Bo is going really well.  We took him to the vet and had him medicated for suspected intestinal parasites.  He's not eating VERY well and his poop is no longer liquid!  He's putting on weight and starting to act like a real dog.  He barks a little when he hears something "off", he runs through the yard.  He hasn't mastered walking on a leash yet and he seems to go o nly so far before he wants back in his yard.  I'll post new pics in a couple of weeks to show how he was when we got him and his progress so far.  He's a real cutie!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 01:30:53 pm »
Good for you, that you rescued a poor starving baby. He is sooo cute. I am sure he will come around and be more and more "dog like" now when he has a HOME.

I am so looking forward to see pics of him in a couple of weeks, I bet he will look like a different dog. Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 05:21:03 pm »
Hey Sue...what's your pup's temperment?  Bo is REALLY docile.  He hasn't barked, jumped, done any puppy-type things at ALL.

Hello,

If Bo is malnourished and been through all of that trauma, then I am sure it will take some adjusting before he feels comfortable enough to show his perky puppy side.  Betti, my little rottie, is that way.  She was malnourished and had many infections and it took months before she became herself.  She was not only docile, but timid and now, nine months later, she is a little brat bouncing around, nipping people in the arses and throwing flower pots up in the air, digging ferociously in her hole, flying through the mud and accelerating around the yard like a goofy monkey.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 06:09:37 pm »
Carey, Bo is so sweet!  He is going to love you forever. I really think that dogs who are rescued know full well that you "saved" them and provide them with a loving home, and they are so loyal.  Several years ago my mom and  I rescued a Jack Russell. I was never interested in the breed before, and had a Golden at the time. I went to Petco to buy dog supplies and a local rescue was holding adoptions. I saw this JRT and I cant explain it, but I knew we had to take him home. He is a little fiesty guy, and is stubborn as all get out, but he is very loving, and loyal.  My parents still have him, and he is so happy. He's my dad's side kick and partner in crime :) 
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline kilbaraberry

• Ankle Biter
  • katie and 1/2 of pups
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 07:14:22 am »
 :D LOL SO TRUE OH SO TRUE,I know what you mean!!!!

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 10:46:23 am »
Bo is just the sweetest!! I don't have a mix, but I do have a rotti. Puck was a rescue too. He was a year when we got him. He was returned to the breeder beause the people that owned him divorced and only kept the female. Rescue dogs  seem to know what you have done for them. He is such a faithful. loving and loyal dog. Even though we missed the puppy time with him, he has still bonded strong with all of us. Good Luck with Bo ;)