Author Topic: Anyone dealing with Dysplastic BPs?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Anyone dealing with Dysplastic BPs?
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:28:33 pm »
My 18 month old golden, Whiskey, has bi-lateral hip displasia. He was diagnosed when he was about 5 months old, we noticed he snapped his hips to the right like a call girl every time he walked and had him checked. It came as a bit of a suprise because both of his parents were OFA'd good and excellent, but Whiskey was born with a rare birth defect (non-congenital or however that is spelled) on the base of his spine that took the form of a spur, and it created nothing but a protruding hook where his tail normally is. Because of this, he moves his hips a lot differently then most puppies, and within 6 months had deterorated them so bad he could not play for 5 minutes without collapsing.

It's possible he has to have his hips titanium reinforced within the next few months, but we are doing everything possible to avoid that at this time. Currently we are doing underwater therapy (we just got turned onto underwater treadmill therapy as well as his normal swimming routine) and massage therapy, and natural remedies, like MSM, Glucosamine, Shark Cartlidge etc to help him. He is also on a strict diet to get his weight down.. I'm such a bad dog mommy and before the diet I had let him get about 10 LBS overweight because I felt just so awfull for him not being able to move, and I let him have whatever he wanted... but thats 10 extra pounds right on those bad hips!

What about you guys? anyone else dealing with a BP with HD? What kinds of treatments are you doing? how do you get about on the bad days when they cant walk? (How are we supposed to help an 80 LBS dog, or a 150 LBS dog move around?!)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: Anyone dealing with Dysplastic BPs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:58:11 pm »
My rescued neo Jesse has HD and ED, and we are giving him several daily supplements, keeping his weight down, and doing massage frequently.  We are waiting to find out if Hip replacements can be done effectively on dogs his size, though his vet says its probably not going to help much if at all, because going through two separate surgeries and recoveries will be painful, and even after he recovers, he will still have the pain in his elbows, so she thinks we should just do what we are doing, try to keep him as comfortable as we can, and have him PTS when his quality of life starts really decreasing.

Weedsport, NY

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:31:47 am »
Zoey also has hip dysplacia. We use supplements and such, and she is doing pretty well. When she does have bad days we help her stand up, give her lots of massages and cuddles, and such.

If you look in the medical issues forum you will see a sticky called "everything you ever wanted to know about hip dysplacia" that has a compilation of many posts related to HD. You might want to read through it and add any thoughts :)
RIP former BPO

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:56:26 pm »
My Tucker, dane/lab mix has severe HD in both hips.  I've written several detailed post here about our journey.  If you are interested you can read the following thread:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,14217.0.html

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  I know how difficult this can be.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 07:44:23 pm »
Thanks for all the great info- off to read those posts now ;) BTW your pack is amazing- How did you end up with so many similarly colored brindles???

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters