Author Topic: Protector, babysitter, and certified gentle giant  (Read 11891 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Protector, babysitter, and certified gentle giant
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 10:49:19 pm »
I need to add something here...Red, you are obviously very knowlegable about dogs...I am impressed with this & I feel I should give credit where credit is due.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 03:44:03 pm »
Jaime, thanks for sharing those photos.  Sarah will love them and will now bug me even more about my, uh how can I put this in a PG format, "sperm stinginess"?   ;D  

As for Red's comments, I can only make a few conclusions.  First, (s)he doesn't know Newfies.  Like the descriptions you listed in the posting heading, Newfs were at one time used as babysitters and protectors of children when the parents couldn't be around.  They are gentle and extrememly tolerant dogs.  Secondly, they are a Rottweiler breeder.  Unfortunately for Rottweiler lovers and owners, this breed has been labeled as a dangerous dog, but for legitimate reasons.  The Tough guy/gang cultures have aligned themselves with this breed, as well as Pit Bulls and have ruined both dogs reputations due to dog fighting and irresponsible backyard breeding which has created monsters.  So that is why they are innundated with email about legislation to block Rottweiler breeding and now their hackles are up.  If their dog is considered dangerous, then dammit all other dogs are going to be as well.  I love Rottweilers and have been around many of those dogs who are sweet and loving, so I'm not blinded by the hype.  So, sorry they ruined your posting with their unsolicited "know-it-all" comments.  This board is unfortunately going to attract people like that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 03:46:15 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 08:21:22 pm »
I love pictures of doggies and kids!  Your newf is a shining example of how much newfs love children.
My good friends two newfs love my son and soak him with their kisses.  I have lots of pictures
of my son sitting on my Daisy's back, from little baby to the little toddler he is now.   I'm so happy
to have the photos to show my son one day of his first rottweiiler guardian angel. :)
...and for me to always remember Daisy's soft look whenever my son is near her.
ahh, kids and dogs make life worth living.  Thanks for posting such happy pictures!

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 08:46:06 pm »
my son is 15 1/2 so I don't know how Moose would be with babies, but if it's any indication, he's soo gentle with the cats it's amazing !  Two weeks after he arrived, my two female cats were spayed . At first I was worried about having them with their sore bellies and a newfie pup in a small house.  Well...I have NEVER seen anything like it, Moose was sooo careful with them both, and even once they started wandering around again, it was like he knew they were sore .
I've attached a picture of Moose and Cosmo, one of our females. She has been teaching Moose how to hunt flies and moths ( if I am lucky enough to catch one outside for the cats and bring it in, lol ) and it is so funny to watch these two trying to get that prey.
The other picture is of two of my cats , Cosmo and Sobe -in front- and Moose, looking for that moth. My other cat Rue is over on the one side and unfortunately just cut out of the picture.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 09:59:14 pm »
We have a Newf Therapy dog aat the hospital I work at - she is so great!!!  Her name is Sally and I just love her.  And the patients just love her - especially the kids.  It was a huge toss up for ne trying to decide between a Newf and a GD. They are both such great companions.  The pics are realy cute!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 10:50:25 pm »
I agree! Newfs and kids go hand in hand!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 11:59:54 am »
Last year Yogi asked for a baby for Christmas....I said "no way Boopee" How about a hamster? ...Is it okay for a Hampster to climb on a Newfie ???

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 09:39:49 pm »
I think a hampster would be fine...unless Yogi decided he looked yummy!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 10:53:39 pm »
It would be perfectly o.k. to put a hamster on a Newf so long as the Newf is fully developed & his bones are strong so as to not hurt him...can we get a pic?...lol!

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2005, 02:11:17 am »
Well, I have read the replys and I'll leave all that alone.  I just would like to stick to your original subject.  The pictures are great.  I fell in LOVE with Bear the first time I visited BPO.  I have never been around a lot of breeds and thought shallow thinking St. Bernards were the biggest til I seen Bear's posting (St. Bernard BPO members, pls don't take offense, I love them and think they are one of the most beautiful breeds there is.) ..   Holy Moly.. Bear is so big and adorable.  I bet the kid's loved it as much as he did.....  Since, I am gracefully installing foot in mouth and carefully removing it (hopefully):  WHAT IS THE BIGGEST DOG BREED in Weight, out of curiousity?
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2005, 05:08:57 am »
I believe the biggest is a Mastiff, I forget which one. :-\
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 07:21:13 am »
The little girls are cute. Where there any more in their litter?

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 08:25:58 am »
Nope! Just the twins.  ;D Thanks for the comments...Bea r is a love and loves everyone!
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2005, 08:38:21 am »
Bear really looks like a big teddy bear in the pics. It is absolutely adorable, I have socialized Tonka with children and the elderly since we brought her home, with always the easy command, now I can take her to the nursing home and she knows not to jump on the elderly people that live there, but to cuddle with them. With children she does very well, the only time I had to say something was with my 3 yr old niece and she is tiny so Tonka was almost taller than her and it put a little scare in her, well she started running so tonka ran with her. Nothing bad with the situation, but I had to tell Madison not to run if she was scared that tonka would think she was playing.  I just happen to agree to let dogs and children play together. Those pics are absolutely ADORABLE!!!! :-* Wish I had some of Tonka with my nieces and nephew(ages 1-8) and she was wonderful with the 1 yr old. no jumping just lots and lots of kisses.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 05:21:53 pm »
Jabas...... those pics are adorable...I love it when dogs and kiddos are loving eachother. What better PR can we give our big breed dogs.

Thanks for sharing

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog