Author Topic: What if he's marking?  (Read 4036 times)

mama23+pyrs2

What if he's marking?
« on: March 22, 2007, 07:38:20 am »
I was told by a couple people that it sounds like Yukon  is having marking behaviors in the house, if so how do I curb those? I just cannot have this dog loose in the house w/out him peeing and I don't understand it. I just took them out, made sure they did both- he peed for like 2 minutes.  And then let them inside for some house time and sure enough, he pees again within 10 mins of being in here. This is getting to be depressing because it doesn't seem like he's improving at all since I got him, Yiska on the other hand hasn't had an accident in a long time.  Last night she was wandering around aimlessly like she was looking for something so we let her out and that's what she had to do. Yukon doesn't give a second thought, half the time you don't know he's peeing because he does it so casually.  I wish I could have them out in the house more but it's getting impossible to have him out with the kids because it's so unsanitary.

I get the feeling he's a lot more dominant than my breeder thought just by observing things he does, but as far as marking this young? Not sure what to do about that. Will he outgrow it? I was told to clean it with something strong smelling .. I use the enzymatic cleaner and or mop the entire floor like I just did.

Sorry I just realized I should have posted this in the training section!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:40:07 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What if he's marking?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:42:55 am »
personally, i think hes too young to be marking...  but i do know many many dogs who will be outside, pee outside, come inside and pee again... Sorry, no answers, but im sure someone has suggestions
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 08:00:32 am »
I'm sorry you're still having problems with the pee! I really think it could be a UTI.  Our husky pup always had UTI's and that's exactly how she acted.  She'd squat to pee for a long time outside, come inside and a couple minutes later she'd be peeing again!  There was pee everywhere!  It is frustrating but if he does have a UTI they usually clear up pretty quickly with some meds.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:08:36 am »
i guess i thought if it was a uti that he would be peeing in small amounts? that's what i always read anyway and what the vet asks. they treated Yiska for an infection when i first took her in because she was whining to go out like every hour and then after that she quit..but she still squats multiple times outside in little amounts but doesn't pee inside. these dogs are confusing me lol.

the past 2 days Yukon hasn't been able to make it out of the door and has peed before he gets out and this isn't even with much of a warning if one at all (whining in the crate). so maybe he does, man that would suck! it's just been one thing after another.

one day they won't have so many problems right? i'll be optimistic :o

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:56:20 pm »
Sounds just like my Otis.  The boy is constantly peeing outside and then comes in and pees as well  :o.  I hear ya cause I am at my wits end on this too.  Our Saint was just a breeze to house train but Otis is just too much. 

The really funny thing on all this is that he is locked in our ensuite at night and he has no accidents at all.  I take him out to pee during the night and he is great, he pees then comes straight back in and goes to bed, but as to the rest of the house..... :-[
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:15:10 pm »
Sounds just like my Otis.  The boy is constantly peeing outside and then comes in and pees as well  :o.  I hear ya cause I am at my wits end on this too.  Our Saint was just a breeze to house train but Otis is just too much. 

The really funny thing on all this is that he is locked in our ensuite at night and he has no accidents at all.  I take him out to pee during the night and he is great, he pees then comes straight back in and goes to bed, but as to the rest of the house..... :-[

is it small? it is probably small enough for him to not want to dirty it, just like the idea of crate training- that dogs won't dirty their den. Yukon can hold it for many hours in his crate as well but in the house, he goes when he feels the urge I guess. :-\ how old is he? i feel like we have a loooong road ahead.

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »
Full bathroom so not that small.  Otis is about 4 1/2 months old now.  He is getting really big  ;D.  Sounds like we are in the same boat with our boys.  Why is it always the boys  LOL ;D
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:28 am »
Full bathroom so not that small.  Otis is about 4 1/2 months old now.  He is getting really big  ;D.  Sounds like we are in the same boat with our boys.  Why is it always the boys  LOL ;D

Haha, poor boys but isn't it the truth! So Otis is about a month and a half older than mine. I bet he is getting big now yeah! We always catch ourselves saying, 'man he is huge' lol..you're used to it but then you're not, at least I'm not haha. Our female is still small, well he dwarfs her standing side by side, but she was the large girl of the litter and I think he just makes her seem small. Still funny to see the difference.

I can say I hope Yukon isn't doing this peeing thing in another month or two but I know better. :-\ :P

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:19:47 am »
with him going on the way to the door from his crate, axle had that problem when he was a puppy and we started carrying him outside and it helped a LOT (i know they're big, axle was too, but i'd rather carry him than clean pee!).  when he was a puppy he'd pee ALL the way to the door and when he got outside he didn't have to go anymore!  when we started carrying him, i guess it stopped giggling everything and he was able to hold it then.  kinda like a kid running to the potty that has accidents, ha ha.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 02:26:25 am »
with him going on the way to the door from his crate, axle had that problem when he was a puppy and we started carrying him outside and it helped a LOT (i know they're big, axle was too, but i'd rather carry him than clean pee!).  when he was a puppy he'd pee ALL the way to the door and when he got outside he didn't have to go anymore!  when we started carrying him, i guess it stopped giggling everything and he was able to hold it then.  kinda like a kid running to the potty that has accidents, ha ha.

ah yes, very true. we used to carry our american eskimo to the door, on her back like a baby because of that problem too, course she was easier ;) He was doing so well before, and they always know to sit at the door before they can go out and wait for me to tell them. Now though, I'm so paranoid he's gonna puddle while he's waiting that I just open the door and let em run or open it even before I open the crate lol.  As soon as he hits that grass it's like a water hose haha. Funny because if he had to go that bad you'd think he'd vocalize but most of the time he doesn't. His sister is the vocal one who gets them both out.