Author Topic: Pyrs and Cats, any advice?  (Read 3027 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Pyrs and Cats, any advice?
« on: March 19, 2007, 03:25:24 pm »
I've always read before I got my pups how good they were with cats, or how much they liked them .. as far as small animals that were part of their family. We have 2 indoor cats and 1 outdoor, all declawed. They chase them all but one they pretty much leave alone, because she has stood her ground from day one. She even follows THEM around and makes sure she's always present, like telling them she's always one step ahead or something. My oldest kitty though, as much as she runs and screams and bats their noses and hisses, it doesn't keep them from going after her and it's just escalating. Just a bit ago, I was actually in tears because of how persistant they were and Yukon actually put his mouth on her and had part of her side in his mouth before I could get her away from them. What do I do?? :'( I yelled very loudly at them telling them 'NO' and 'ENOUGH', and trying to pull them off but of course they were focused. They had to go to bed after that though. It's hard to tell if it's just being playful, a puppy thing- of course even that could easily kill a cat. They just get so serious about the cats, not playful acting. This is the first time I've actually been scared for them though, especially since they tag team.

Any advice or anything? I wish my cats had claws so they could give them a couple good swats in the nose. I hate for her to be under such stress, she's not young anymore... sigh.

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Pyrs and Cats, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:29:31 am »
Thanks Julie, I will give that a try and see if it helps. I know these guys are a stubborn as they come so some things just take a little longer with them ..persistence has been key! haha.

Funny like right now they are out and the cat they don't bother much is sitting just a few feet away from Yukon (the dominant one of the 2), staring at him and nobody is bothering her.  She just has a look of evil and she keeps her eye on them at all times, it's kinda funny. .but at least they leave her alone.

Thanks again :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:42:03 am »
you could also try keeping them on a leash when the cats are around for a bit to help you keep a hand on them.  you know "that look" they give right before they go after something?  they usually tense up, their ears go forward and they get a concentrating look on their face, while their tail either wags a little fast or goes up and is stiff?  you can try keeping them on a leash and the SECOND you see them starting to get "that look" pop the leash (not hard just enough to get their attention) and say "NO, LEAVE IT" and then turn them around and walk off.  don't give them a chance to react or you've already lost the control over the situation.  once they do it, praise them.  i've always had good luck with that, also julie's way is a great way to do it too.  you can also use a key chain for that with a lot of keys, but that may make your cats skiddish.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:24:21 am »
Welcome to BPO.

I think the ideas above-the squirt bottle and the leash-are good. The noise of coins might scare the cat (as would the water if you aren't a good shot) more than the dogs. I used "leave it" or "no", with an occasionally water bottle squirt for Riley, my Saint, who likes to bark at the cats if they hiss at him. You basically need to establish that the cats are off limits. You may still have occasionally chase scenes or barking, but puppies can be taught to respect cats or, at least, to respect their people's rules about the cats.

I will stay off of my declawing soap box, but I will say this: Please, please keep that outdoor declawed cat indoors. Declawed cats do not have a good means of defense (including to defend themselves from your dogs), nor can they climb to get away from predators. They become sitting ducks, unless you have him/her in some sort of enclosure to keep him/her safe.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:13:15 am »
Welcome to BPO.

I think the ideas above-the squirt bottle and the leash-are good. The noise of coins might scare the cat (as would the water if you aren't a good shot) more than the dogs. I used "leave it" or "no", with an occasionally water bottle squirt for Riley, my Saint, who likes to bark at the cats if they hiss at him. You basically need to establish that the cats are off limits. You may still have occasionally chase scenes or barking, but puppies can be taught to respect cats or, at least, to respect their people's rules about the cats.

I will stay off of my declawing soap box, but I will say this: Please, please keep that outdoor declawed cat indoors. Declawed cats do not have a good means of defense (including to defend themselves from your dogs), nor can they climb to get away from predators. They become sitting ducks, unless you have him/her in some sort of enclosure to keep him/her safe.

Well the thing about that kitty is she was always an indoor cat, as all the cats that I've always had have been but she started to pee inside and she RUINED our last rented condo..it was horrid. Nothing I could do would fix the problem. It started when my hubby brought home a new kitten and they hated eachother and she started to pee in various places and never stopped. Then we moved into our first home while I was 9 mos pg and I vowed that she would be outside and not ruin another house. So outside she went and she is always here, she's always out front or under a bush somewhere or climbs the back fence when she hears us open the side door..she's inside/outside now because she comes into eat or nap or when it's cold and wants outside when she needs to potty.  She gets away from the dogs just fine but I'm always out there to supervise.  She's also a pro at catching 'presents' of various species even w/out claws but ..I get what you're saying.

And I know lots of people don't agree w/declawing and it irks some people but for me and too many bad cat clawing/children experiences- it's the only way to go, that and I've been fortunate enough to have every declawing go smoothly w/out complications, they still have the back ones tho.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:14:11 am by mama23+pyrs2 »