Author Topic: I need poop help - long :(  (Read 12665 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: I need poop help - long :(
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 04:43:10 am »
Hi,

You can also go to a homemade food to settle them down. Boil up a big pot of Rice, boil up some chicken (some dogs have chicken alergies so you can use other boiled meat too) and feed that until they settle down. Start mixing in the Kibble of choice once the stomachs settle down.

boy i bet they would like that, probably not want to eat anything else after that lol. maybe i should start that and then gradually add in only the food i wanted to switch them to. that may be my best bet.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 05:04:46 am »
I would suggest putting them on an easy to digest food (lamb is probably not your best choice) and feed them absolutely nothing but that for at least 10 days.  It may take a week or more for their intestinal tracts to settle down, so you need to be patient.  The only thing you should be adding to their food is water and perhaps a few table spoons of pumpkin.  Nothing else.  No treats.  None.  I would even give them bottled water for awhile to make sure that your tap water isn't contributing. 

After they settle down, I would still wait a couple of weeks before trying any kind of treats.  I would only introduce treats one at a time.  By that, I mean give one treat and then wait at least a week before giving any others.

In my experience, the easiest food for dogs to adjust to is plain old Innova Dry Adult.  You may want to try that.

The main thing is to slow down and be patient with these tummies.

Good luck!
Holly
[/quote]

the adult innova you mentioned is it this formula? http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271%27%5D  also if lamb and rice is no good for digestion, what other protein source would you recommend? just when i settle on something i feel really good about, then i have to start all over.  ??? i feel like i've wasted so much money on food.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 05:07:10 am »
Kristina,

When is your next visit? If it's not for a while, maybe you could call and see if you can just drop off a stool sample to check and see if the bacteria has gotten worse. Also, maybe they can give you more details about the bacteria and then you could research that. Getting to the root of the problem is probably the best way to figure out which way to go.

-Katie

Yes, you're right. But I think my vet is a moron unfortunately and I hadn't planned on going back there so I've been looking for a new one for their next visit. Maybe I'll have better luck there. They didn't tell me anything about the bacteria but in looking up the medication I found out which bacteria it treats- so hopefully they did something right and treated it correctly. Apparently it was a very small amount of bacteria and it was taken from the female.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 05:17:52 am »
I'm with Winslow's dad... my Bear has an infamous tender tummy (booty blow-out AT the vet's office ::)). A couple meals of boiled beef and rice, and we're back to good poops. I also use Immodium to help stop the projectile nasties. Good luck!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 06:27:36 am »
I find that boiled brown rice helps too. Our Harley is on innova evo red meat diet and she has perfect small poop. This is the only food that she does well on. Our old vet recommended Science Diet and she had the worst gas and booty blowout I have ever seen. We have since changed vets and we returned the bag of food. That was over a year ago. We now go to a holistic vet, and we googled them to see what credentials sp  ???  they had ect.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 08:33:10 am »
I think you've gotten some great advice! I have witnessed myself some things with regard to diet and my pups. I wanted to mention that while my dogs have typically done fairly well on food, I have a lot of trouble with "additions".  For example, Bully Sticks cause MAJOR trouble for Bella; real bones of any kinds caused MAJOR trouble for Pepper; I've seen certain other treats do the same.  Also, I've noticed that lamb doesn't agree with Bella for some reason. When she's on a Chicken formula her poops are better.  I think the best thing is what you've already been told; to cut out everything except the food, and then try one thing at a time. And you may find eventually that one particular type of meat doesn't work as well for them. Lots of people switch to Duck and other meat types to get away from some of the "typical problem meats". Eventually, you may find that it was just ONE thing that you hadn't even considered causing the problem. I hope you get it resolved! Yucky dog poops suck!

Your puppies are sweetie pies!!!!  :D
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:41 am »
I think you've gotten some great advice! I have witnessed myself some things with regard to diet and my pups. I wanted to mention that while my dogs have typically done fairly well on food, I have a lot of trouble with "additions".  For example, Bully Sticks cause MAJOR trouble for Bella; real bones of any kinds caused MAJOR trouble for Pepper; I've seen certain other treats do the same.  Also, I've noticed that lamb doesn't agree with Bella for some reason. When she's on a Chicken formula her poops are better.  I think the best thing is what you've already been told; to cut out everything except the food, and then try one thing at a time. And you may find eventually that one particular type of meat doesn't work as well for them. Lots of people switch to Duck and other meat types to get away from some of the "typical problem meats". Eventually, you may find that it was just ONE thing that you hadn't even considered causing the problem. I hope you get it resolved! Yucky dog poops suck!

Your puppies are sweetie pies!!!!  :D

thank you! i can't wait to figure it all out. funny they are both the same way about whatever is bothering them. i've never had sensitive dogs before. our last dog we could switch her food at the drop of a hat, add in anything and she never missed a beat. just goes to show you how different they are. i never anticipated such problems. they look very sad today expecting and not getting their treats and bones but it's for their own good. :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 09:20:47 am »
Kristina, don't get to frustrated with their diets. Great Pyrenees are not great eaters! They don't eat a lot and they are not food motivated (at least most of them). They are very picky eaters and the more you offer the pickier they get!!! My dog is totally out of place with her diet. One day she wants raw meat only...another week she only wants kibble...then she will not eat for a day or two. She would not touch any friets or veggies. She would not eat raw turkey or chicken and only wants lamb and beef. I'll tell you...she drove me nuts for a long long time. And I gave up! I can only worry for so long! And they know when you concerned and WILL manipulate you. Those dogs think they are smarter then you are, you know!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 10:39:50 am »
Okay, I agree. Thanks so much for all your information. I may do the unthinkable and switch them over to Innova then when I get some more money next month, but in the meantime I'm giving them strictly Canidae and no treats or bones or anything. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll do super well and I can keep them on it.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 10:42:26 am »

There is also some research that indicated lamb diets leech taurine from a dog's system, and can lead to heart problems including DCM.  Some people don't put a lot of stock in that, but I know when we were testing the crap out of Kiz, we ruled out genetics and other heart conditions.  Guess what puppy food he was on?  Lamb and rice.  Just not worth the risk, IMO.
[/quote]

Yeah true, that is very scary. :(

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 10:59:17 am »
Hopefully your pups will be free of booty blowouts soon! One quick quesiton, why is switching them to Innova unthinkable? It's a fantastic food that is super healthy. I'm just curious! Thanks!

No, I just meant because I would be switching them yet again.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 11:17:57 am »
ahhh I see. Sorry I misunderstood! If you do switch them, I hope that you are pleasantly surprised! Good luck!

Gosh, me too. You all might make a believer out of me. ;) I'd be ever so grateful!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 11:43:56 am »
innova is a GREAT dog food!  diesel does wonderfully on it!  with him, we buy a 33 lb bag of it, and it lasts us over a month.  we spend $40 a bag, but like i said it lasts forever, and that's with a dane eating twice a day!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 11:51:04 am »
innova is a GREAT dog food!  diesel does wonderfully on it!  with him, we buy a 33 lb bag of it, and it lasts us over a month.  we spend $40 a bag, but like i said it lasts forever, and that's with a dane eating twice a day!

yeah that's about what i've been paying for what i feed them, but that's impressive how long it lasts you. these guys don't eat a hefty amount so it's lasted a long time. i just gotta find out where i can get the Innova now.. time to make more phone calls. :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 12:02:47 pm »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]