Author Topic: Socializing  (Read 4849 times)

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Socializing
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »
Hi, my dog's about 1 year old and when he was a puppy I socialized him as much as I could but I stopped doing it after he was about 8 months old because he was so big and he seemed to be doing fine with the socializing but today he jumped out of his collar to get away from my neighbor.  :-\ I was going to take him to obedience training but I put it off like an idiot and now he's about 100 pounds now. So I'm a little afraid to take him to obedience training because he's so gigantic. And you know how pyrenees are. They may be 100 pounds but they look like they weigh 150.

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Re: Socializing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:57:04 pm »
you still should go ahead and get him trained.  especially just to work on the whole socialization thing if for nothing else.  he is still young enough to fix it.  especially since he doesn't sound like he is fear agressive in any way.  i work at petsmart and really enjoy their group lessons.  they really help out with socialization.  go watch one first b4 you sign up to see if you like the trainer and if you think that the classes are something that both you and your dog would enjoy.  i think that there are other places that do group sessions also so look into something that features positive reinforcement and negative punishment.... .basically-you do good you get a cookie....you do bad and you get nothing.  it really works....espec ially with pyrenees...the y are stubborn and if you push them into doing something that they don't want to do then they will do the opposite.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 02:07:54 pm »
You think he is too big? He's a jumbo butt.... It would be horrible if he jumped on them :o

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:12:57 pm »
no, i'd ask to be in a small class with 3 other dogs....he'd be fine....the trainer should be experienced enough to handle a large dog.  i've worked with HUGE mastiffs, pyrs, danes, german shepherds....e ct.  and i'm 125 lbs.  i can handle them b/c i've delt with them b4.  main thing is to ask the trainer what kind of collar to use and all that b4 hand so you are prepared.  if he or she is an experienced trainer then you should have no problem.  if you are nervious then look into hiring a private trainer.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 06:09:19 pm »
I will take him, I don't know what I'll do with a teenager. Yeah I like it here already. Thank you. :)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:10:30 pm »
omg! fumble is a year and half old and he's about 175-200 lbs, and he's begun his "teenage years" sometimes he pretends he doesn't know his name.  I saw pretends, because he's a smart dog and he knows what he's supposed to do he's just rebelling!!  I've begun to start some re-training to just help reinforce what we learned in our puppy classes... Good luck!! This is the best place to be if you have any questions!! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 03:04:27 am »
yeah, i can definately agree with the others to get some help.  we get offers to go to training with axle (he's 135-140lbs) all the time.  we even had a woman offer if we paid for a class for him she'd give us a FREE puppy class.  it's never too late to go, and just think, not only will you get help but other people will learn big dogs aren't always "bad" dogs.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline baroo44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:55:30 am »
Yeah, I wasn't going to take him because I thought I could control him but ;D as all of you know, big dogs get a little attitude when they hit their teenager years. I'm sure little dogs too, but the big ones are the pushers of the bunch. Thanks for all your advice, if you have any more info keep writing. 

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:19:56 am »
When Rasputin was a puppy he shied away from people, and when that didnt work he got a bit nippy.  That went on for awhile, i tried to socialize him but nothing i did seemed to make a difference, seemed that he was just a timid mass of fur.  After a while i just worked with it and made sure to SUPER socialize him to people when they came to our house and controlled him when we went out.  Somehow, now, its not a problem anymore.  I wonder if it was just a faze.  He does great with kids and most adults now without any help from his mom!!!