Author Topic: 4 month old male Pyre needs help in MO  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
4 month old male Pyre needs help in MO
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:55:42 am »
He's a sweet boy, and was purchased to be a 'house pet' according to his owner. But, two months ago (yes, when he was just 8 weeks old) they decided to just chain him up outside. There he sits and waits. This boy I'm going to get this weekend, but if anyone can help me find a  safe place for him to go, I'd be happy. She's two hours from me, that is why, unfortunatly, I have to wait till the weekend. If anyone thinks they can go get him sooner, fantastic! Just let me know.

nose_to_nose@hotmail.com

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: 4 month old male Pyre needs help in MO
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:18:32 am »
We can't give him a permanent home, but we could help transport.  We're located in northeastern Oklahoma.  We could do an overnight, if necessary.  Please keep us in mind.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:14:38 am »
If you can get some info on this pup regarding his personality etc, let me know. One of my husbands managers is considering getting a Pyr as a family dog. He has never had one so it would be important to get some info on his personality etc. We are in North Texas.

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:24:54 pm »
This 'little' guy is in St.Jame's Missouri.
from what I understand, he's very sweet and the owner said "he's so lazy." meaning, he loves to launge around, allot. He is very gentle with their two toddlers as well. He's had NO medical anything, however.
Remember, he's just a baby right now and though most pyrs at this age are well into their training to guard livestock, he's simply chained to a tree in the backyard. For two months. In those two months we've had snow storms and sub-zero temperatures, heavy thunder storms and tarnados in that area, so... not only is there  risk of seperation anxiety away from any structured pack, but to be chained, helpless with no shelter, to a tree durring and experiencing these things for the first time may put him in danger of fear of thunderstorms. He may not develope any of these two behavior problems in the future, but there is also a chance he may.

So if you are looking for a first time Pyre Owner, I'm not so sure how he'd do with them. I just can't predict anything past the sweet, calm nature all Pyrs display.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:44:03 pm »
well if we can get him to Texas, I will make sure that he gets a get home- wether it is with my husbands boss or someone else- I dont really have a way to get to Missouri, but if some one can get him here- I have someone else who has a goat farm that would probably take him- at least he would not be chained to a tree. This person is really wonderful with thier Pyrs. And until he went to his new home he could camp out here and just enjoy being a dog. You can PM me if you have any idea how to get him here.

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:33:44 am »
I don't know how I'd transport him.  I'm sorry

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 12:01:37 pm »
I am trying to get my husband into Missouri- We will take him, at least for the time being, to get him out of that situation. If not this week he is going to try and get into Missouri next week if possible. He is a truck driver.Any one else out there have any suggestions- I could even drive into Oklahoma to pick him up.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 12:09:35 pm »
Any BPO'er out there that can help with transport, I would appreciate it. I will commit to taking him and either getting him into a home comparable to my home here- or all else fails- he becomes a part of the Pyr pack. Poor baby deserves better. I have a wonderful vet who would be happy to get him caught up on shots worming etc. Please feel free to email me- Also the husband said that it would be next week at the earliest that he could maybe get into Missouri and he is not sure where St.James would be... so we will have to research that info...

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 01:33:47 pm »
Big Dog,

You have a very big heart! Thankyou for even considering this monumental task.

I do have good news. This little guy has a place that is safe now. He has been placed in a home, according to his owner. I hope it's a good one.

I do ask that you also hold tight. If you are serious about helping any other in the future, I can give you a bit of a heads up. Right now, in missouri, Pyrs are everywhere. Seems the guardian dog's that help guard stock arn't always spayed/neutered and when spring time comes, there's a flood of pups. Most find their way to other farms, or house holds, but there is always a rash of pups in need. I'll give you an example. In the Ozarks, a rescue group called Ozark Dogs, was called to help with a full litter of Pyrs. You should read what they found when they got there...and yes, this is very typical for this preed here.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7925999