Author Topic: What type of coat does your Pyr have?  (Read 8641 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

What type of coat does your Pyr have?
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:53:49 pm »
I have an A.K.C. book of Pyrs that is wonderful!...But, I am amazed at the differnces in their looks...mostly in the coat...Sammy has a coat that is silky &  soft to the touch...I don't know if he will keep it as he still hasn't really blown his puppy coat or if he will end up with the thicker, coarser coat...What kind of coats do your Pyrs have?

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: What type of coat does your Pyr have?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 08:29:31 am »
Yes, that's the first thing I've noticed when browsing the websites for pics of pyrs (gotta get my Pyr fix, sometime.lol)

Blizzard is my 5 yr female and I think it all depends on certain things.

Like climate. I noticed other Pyrs who are kept mostly outside, like guard dogs, to have a thicker, more dense undercoat. It then makes the top coat look fuller. Indoor pet Pyrs, if brushed often (wich I know we all do. No one wants white tufts tumbleweed floating down the hallway in the morning.) normally have a thinner, less poofy coat. I think it's due to climate controle. Of course the Pyrs on farms, in the summer, blow huge hunks of coat that can be peeled off and then their coat looks thinner then the indoor pyr's coat.

Males have a heavery coat then females around the neck area, also

But feel of coats? I think that all depends on genetics. I've actually met one female Pyr with wavey hair! I'd never seen that before!

Blizzard's hair, I'd like to think, is average for a Pyr. It's straight, with more around the pant and writhers, and neck. The only cotteny/silker area she has is around the ears. I like to clip that part off, however, so she has more circulation , airwise. Just as a practice to help prevent ear infections (along with cleaning the ears, often). Her top coat feels smooth,  but corse. It's very water resistant and takes allot to get her drenched enough for a bath. The second layer of fur is softer, more dense. She gets groomed, once a week for about an hour, but only bathed once a month. Her hair is easy to clean by just brushing out the dirt. It dosn't cling at all. The bath is more for getting rid of the doggy oder. hehehe

Umm anyway...

I think it just all depends on two things... genetics and invirment. I honestly think invirment has the most impact, however.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 09:48:57 am »
Envoirment...o f coarse!...I hadn't considered that!...DUH!...lol...Sammy Whammy is an indoor dog & gets brushed out regulary...He isn't silky around his back legs back end...His fur is coarser there...Hey, do you have a pic of Blizzard you can post...We would love to see him! :)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 03:42:28 pm »
I would love to show her! But, no digi cam. Well, we did have one but the kids throught it was a toy and we weren't smart enough to put it up so they couldn't get it.
It was a sad sad day the digi cam met it's demise. We'd only had it for a few days.

Well, needly to say a very frustrated husband claimed we'd never get another.  He's loving,but grumpy..lol

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 04:42:03 pm »
Wavy haired Pyrs?  This discussion has been addressed pretty well here but I wanted to bring up this one subject.  Your Pyrs coat should be wavy.  How much?  None that you would notice.  Some waves that make the hair not lay down flat.  However the standard states it all.......

"The correct Pyrenees coat is both functional and attractive.  Preference must always be given to correctness of coat rather than mere abundance.  The outer coat must be quite coarse and flat - lying in order to shed rain and keep the undercoat and skin dry and warm, and so as ot to mat or pick up debris.  The outer coat is thick and is especially long on the tail, the backs of the thighs and elbows, and over the rump.  The outer coat can be straight or wavy but should never be curly or cottony.  Highly undesirable is the stand-off coat as seen in the Samoyed, Pomeranian and Chow.  The uncerdoat is dense, fine and woolly.  It is shed for the summer and returnes for winter. The correct coat requires very little care.  A ruff is usually present, often more pronounced in males.  This gives protection to the vulnerable throat area.  It also contributes to the beauty of the dog.  As the head is not massive, an especially well-developed ruff often leads to the remark "oh, he looks just like a lion about the head."

A test, take a long strand of hair, not the undercoat, from your Pyr.  I imagine it will be easy to get....lol  Hold it up to the light and look at it closely.  You will notice your Pyr has been to the beauty shop and had it's hair crimped!  You fellas might not be able to understand what I am saying but you ladies do Im sure.  So no, Pyr hair is not completely straight.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 04:49:37 pm »
Hi Jackie,  What is the best way to keep the mats from the elbows. No matter how much I brush the elbows mat and stain.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 05:23:58 pm »
Stain they will says Yoda!  Nothing you can do but add French White chaulk, available at locals that sell to show folks for the stains.  Tangles?.. how old is Sugar, I forgot?  Puppy coats matt worse than they do in adult dogs.  If Sugar is an adult, it is most likely genetic and the only answer is... deal with it... sorry

Jackie
Jackie Wood

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 05:26:55 pm »
Hi Jackie!...Samson's coat is as your post described I think...I know when he gets wet it looks like he got a bad perm (crimped) mostly around the ears.

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 08:22:13 pm »
Jackie,

"The outer coat can be straight or wavy but should never be curly or cottony."

That's what I meant!
I met her at Purina sponsered dog event out here. It was just a basic little family thing. Rescue groups came out, like SPOTS and so on, as well as a family fun day with frizby demos and AKC breed information.

Anyway, We had Bliz and were walking around and up comes another woman with a Pyr too. I had to make sure at first. I mean the features looked Pyr, but.. the hair.. it was intensly wavishly curly? Expecially along the back of her neck, oddly along her sides and down her back legs. Not tight ringlets that you find in a poodle, but tightly wavish hair. I'm not sure how to discribe it but it looks so odd.
Hard to discribe. I asked if I could pet her, but as soon as I allowed the dog to sniff me, she barked. I never got to touch the hair.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 11:30:48 am »
What you saw was not a Pyr Teresa.  I am sure she thought it was but what you were looking at was a Kuvasz.  Also a guardian.  But from Hungary.  Was it like this one?... Jackie
Jackie Wood

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 12:02:21 pm »
Hi
I've been wondering this for a while, I know the Pyr is a very old breed, are there other breeds of guardians that come from the Pyr. There are a few out the that resemble them. Like the Kuvas and the Maremma sheepdog.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 12:53:36 pm »
The Kuvas may or may not be a desecendant of the Pyr...It may be the other way around...I have read it both ways...I would be interested in knowing for sure...The Marrema is a desendant of the Pyr, Kuv, & two other dogs but I can't remember what they are right now...I believe one of those two were a desendant of the Pyr also..A very cool breed but not recognized in the U.S...It is in the U.K. however...Not as good of family pet as the Pyr I have read & heard...They are pretty serious about only their pack...I have read they might attack a child it does not consider it's family.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 01:22:42 pm »
Nina,

The Pyr is somewhat of an inigma to date.  Dont let anyone tell you that they know the parent breed of a Pyr as they do not know for sure.  The speculation through the ages has changed as they have found some archeological evidence to reput the existing theories.  Facts we do know......

Their existance predates the bronze age, there is archeological proof of this from cave drawings in the old french caves.

The Pyr is associated with the Pyrenees Mountains where it was bred in isolation for a single purpose for thousands of years.

The breed is associated with the French people but also the Basque and that association predates the written word for the Basque people.

The French saved this breed from extinction, not once, but twice.

The Pyr is very similar to many other guardian type breeds, and not just the white ones.

I have a list of other breeds on my site... not a complete list by any means... but fairly complete. Rare breeds in todays world.. some I bet you've never heard of.  I might add that the page is incomplete yet but there are a couple of links to info on other breeds there if you are interested.

http://www.geocities.com/tanimara_2000/Site_Directory.html  Click on other guardian breeds....

Picture is of a Russian Ovcharka - new to the US
The dog in the picture is owned by Gene and Tina Blackwell in southeastern OK at Round Bottom Ranch.  They also own Estrella Mountain dogs and Anatolians they run with goats.
http://community.webtv.net/rbr/RoundBottomRanch

I can post a picture of his Estrella Mountain dog if anyone is interested.

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie Wood

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 01:41:18 pm »
WOW that is a beautiful breed, thank you so much for all the info! I will for sure check it out. I've been to your site before but haven't had a chance to check it out fully. I must say that your Pyr's are beautiful  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 01:43:28 pm »
Yes they are Nina! :)   I am proud to say that's where our new little fluffy butt is coming from! ;D