Author Topic: Is it impossible...?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Is it impossible...?
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:32 am »
 okay, all you dog owners out there, is it utterly impossible to have a nice yard (GRASS!) and also have big paws? Because if there is someway to have both, i have yet to find it. after seeding every spring/fall for several years, hubby and i decided to sod the backyard last fall. it was pretty expensive, but it was WONDERFUL to have pretty, green grass and not just dirt/mud. unfortunately, and not to anyones surprise, it did not last long. first, all the dogs peeing burned up the grass, and their running and trampling killed the rest.
 we have gotten so much rain here lately and our backyard is a disgusting and embarrassing mess. the mud problem is totally stressing me out and i am constantly trying to clean up their mess when they come inside.
  so, has anyone here managed to have both a nice yard with grass and also big paws? if so, whats your secret? and if not, then how do you all deal with the mud problem when it rains?????
 im trying to talk hubby into sodding the yard again, but he thinks it would just be a waste of money. but i dont care, im desperate!
 Leah

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Is it impossible...?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:58:44 am »
Right now I have some grass coming back in my yard.  It's been a dirt bowl and mud pit all winter and there are areas I don't think will ever have grass again.  I gave up on grass with my last dogs because every time I put seed out they would eat it.  I don't have carpet in my house so I don't care about that.  I have all tile and I just wait for the mud to dry and sweep it up or mop.  
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:33:38 pm »
Well, the trick is to have a yard that is made up of several acres......... lol.
I've never had a problem with my lawn until Gunther came around.  Keiko ran around and it was fine.  I could not imagine how running around in the yard could make such huge divots.  I didn't care at our last place as the yard was mostly dirt and weeds, but at our next place I would like to have a nice yard.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:18:55 am »
Hi,

Consult a landscaper, maybe they can recommend a hardier type of grass, that may be better for you and the dogs!!  also mixing in some Gravel "trails" can help segment the yard. They won't get muddy on gravel, bark mulch some areas (JUST NOT THE CHOCOLATE Husk mulch) can kill the dogs if they eat it.

I guess I am suggesting take out the "mud" with something other than grass, in the space, if you can't grow a tougher grass in the yard.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:21:55 am »
hee hee hee i'm doing a happy dance because i have grass!  luckily, even with 5 dogs, all our dogs use one area to go potty, and even there we have grass  ???  naturally, we do have trails leading around two edges of our yard, but other than that our grass is super duper nice.  actually, it's nicer now than it was when we moved in.  the dogs do dig, but like jenn we have a deck about 5 ft off the ground, and they do all their digging under there.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:58:02 am »
Ha oh can I sympathize. One of my worst peeves are dirt, dirt, dirt >:(.  I can't stand letting the dogs out and letting them back in and the dirt in brings in, it's a nightmare. Our last dog was a medium size paw, haha..and she did more digging then these guys have yet actually but she got some areas nice and ready for them and I'm sure they appreicate it. ;)

Before I brought these guys home, I bought several bags of mulch and some stepping stone and tried to cover the dug out area in front of the side (doggy) door, it worked except instead of dirty- they tracked in all the mulch ???. I didn't even think that stuff would stick to them like velcro because of the hair they have, duh. Now they've dug to the right of the mulch and left a dirt area that needs to be dealt with. The other night Yiska dug this trench on the other side of the yard where it's shade and we can't really grow anything there so we decided to make that their official dig spot.  I am thinking I will put something around it so they know they can dig there and no one will accidentally fall into it or anything.

Next for the areas I mulched I'm gonna redo with rock, river rock or something and border it so we don't have mowing trouble, that way the rocks wouldn't be tracked in. So, my solution has been: A: I keep my vacuum plugged in at all times (this is for my own sanity) and I vacuum, well kinda all day but I love a clean floor and I LOVE my awesome vac. ;) B: If the dogs are muddy rather than just dry dirt, I either, carry them to their crate until they can dry and clean off or wipe their feet before I let them go to their crate, but they aren't running around my house like that!! I'd need a rubber room. :o C: and most importantly I keep an eye on the dogs, either I am out there supervising their romps or I check on them every few mins to make sure they aren't digging where they should not be. All the holes are close to the house at least, and nothing in the rest of the yard, except grass!

That was a book! Can you tell this is a problem for me also? :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:00:58 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:35:17 am »
 hahahaa, im glad to know im not the only one dealing with this issue ;D i wouldnt mind the lack of grass so much if it never rained and i didnt have to deal with the mud. i have probably 10 towels that are 'dog towels', that i use to wipe muddy feet, but somehow i still end up getting muddy paw prints in the house. it drives me mad!
 i dont expect a perfect yard, i would be THRILLED with a yard full of weeds, just so long as it is not dirt! i am determinded to find a solution to this problem. i love to sit outside on the deck in our backyard, but i hate to look at such an ugly yard. i am still trying to convince hubby that we need to re-sod. and then maybe we could add a little sand place where they can dig.
 thanks for all your replies!
  Leah