Author Topic: New Husky Owner and Would Like to Continue Training  (Read 2495 times)

Offline ButterflyChaser

• Gnawer
  • Angelina, aka Angel Face, Sib Husky
    • View Profile
New Husky Owner and Would Like to Continue Training
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:59 pm »
I recently rescued a beautiful Siberain Husky.  She seems to be about 6 months old, well-groomed, and trained.  She sits, shakes hands, fetches a tennis ball, and walks well on a leash.  I want to continue her training, but I've never really trained a dog before.  I mean, I taught most to sit and stay and get down, etc.  But this husky seems to need more and I can't afford a trainer.  So I wanted to learn how to train her myself.

She will fetch a tennis ball, but she seems to expect me to do something other than throw it across the room.  I don't have the kennel up yet, so we haven't done any outside fetch.  When she sees me get her leash, she gets so excited.  And I think it's more than just a walk she is expecting.  I think her previous owner was doing some sort of training with her and she wants that.  But I'm clueless.  I feel like I'm letting her down.

Is there a particular site someone can recommend with basic commands and training exercises?  I might even like to later advance into agility training, altho I doubt I'd ever "show" her.  It would just be recreational for us.

She's an adorable creature, full energy, very lovable and intelligent.  And I just don't want to shortchange her.  Somebody help please!

NancyAnn
"Just living isn't enough," said the Butterfly.  "One must have freedom, sunshine, and a little flower."  (Hans Christian Anderson)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: New Husky Owner and Would Like to Continue Training
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:43:14 pm »
have you tried the training leashes?  they come in like 15 and 25 ft lengths, maybe you could take her to a park and let her play fetch, but then if she runs, you still have that long leash?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline ButterflyChaser

• Gnawer
  • Angelina, aka Angel Face, Sib Husky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:08:45 pm »
Steffanie, thanks for the leash suggestion.  I found one on ebay and just bought it.  I'll have a fence up soon so we can train in the fence.  But until then, I can use the training leash you suggested.  I didn't know such a thing existed until you mentioned it.  Thank you!

NancyAnn
"Just living isn't enough," said the Butterfly.  "One must have freedom, sunshine, and a little flower."  (Hans Christian Anderson)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:03:14 pm »
good luck!  the only thing about them is be careful if you're holding the other end b/c if they're running full force and it yanks you all of a sudden, it can hurt your shoulder.  we did that with the training leashes (letting them run lose with them attached) though and it worked good.  i got the idea off of one of those brittish dog training tv shows.  if you intend on using them while having a hold of it, i'd suggest using the halti lead or gentle leader with it, that way she'll learn to pay attention if you're holding the end.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]