Author Topic: My family is driving me CRAZY!!  (Read 4063 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
My family is driving me CRAZY!!
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:24:19 pm »
Ok first let me say that I know that Harley is a horrible dog and I enable him to be so; so this is all my fault OK I get it.

Harley whines ALOT all day and all night for no reason we have tried training, vibration collars, ingnoring him, everything.  So my family (my sister and mother) are in town for the Jewish holidays they will be here for a week today is day one and I want to SCREAM.  they keep saying how horrible he is, stupid, Pain in the A$$ - all of this is true but I don't go to their house and insult their animals and family (OK neither has a dog or kids - I have both).

Today my sister was screaming at Harley everytime he got near her because she had a cup of hot tea in her hand she was afraid he was going to spill on her - OK valid concern - SIT AT THE TABLE AND DRINK THE TEA - no issue.

My mother sleeps on the couch (her choice she doesn't like beds because of a bad hip) well after we go to bed Harley traditionally sleeps on the couch and my mother was on it so he kept her up all night whining!  It was annoying - I thought he would go down stairs to the other couch but he didn't so she got no sleep (she is close to 80 and needs sleep).  What am I going to do for the next 9 days - I'm ready to pack him up and move to my neighbors but I don't think they want us!!

I have to go downstairs and play nice now - I hope I don't kill anyone tonight

Thanks for listening

Randy And Harley

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My family is driving me CRAZY!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:46:45 pm »
Sorry you are having to deal with all this.  I don't have any good advice except maybe spike your sister's tea with a little alcohol or something to take the edge off her. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Ma-Is-Pa

• Gnawer
  • Fal-o-Fluff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:03:03 am »
When people come to my house who don't like my dogs...those that I can't get rid of anyway, and those that I have no choice but to be polite to, I just go out of my way to keep my dogs away from them.  ;D  Why should Harley have to put up with crazy screaming two-legs any more than you should? lol! Family is another story though.  Maybe you could take him in your room with you at night? Just sort of separate them?  Hmm..sometimes people are no fun to deal with.   :-\
~Kitty Kat and..
Maxie Mouse!
Isa Piecy!
Payla Roo!

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 01:43:14 am »
hahaha, I feel for you, Randy. My family is nuts-o like this, too.

Here is my tactic, I drive THEM nuts. I start talking about dogs...incessa ntly. Anything I can think of. Rescue dogs I've had, why you should spay and neuter, how to stop leash pulling, what kind of foods are best and why. They NEVER come over! hahahhaha!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 01:58:23 am »
Can you take him to a park and exhaust him? I'm guessing there is no way your family would want to go so you get 2 hours-(stop and get a nice coffee...)alone with Harley and he comes home ready to sleep for awhile. The booze in their tea sounds good too ;D

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 01:19:59 pm »
Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions and concerns.  Last night was better Harley let my mother sleep; I think he was tired we kept him up late.   

Today I got a lecture on letting him sleep on the couch I pointed out that our dog growing up also slept on the beds and the answer was but she wasn't big and black - but she was a blond cocker spaniel and boy did she shed!!  I told my mom that I love sitting on the couch with Harley.

As far as my sister we weren't home much so she didn't have to yell at Harley as much.

Again, thanks so much I LOVE this board!!

Randy & Harley

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:20:56 pm »
Everyone that knows me including family knows if they come over how I am with my dogs and the beds and other furtuniture are theirs as much as ours.

They know before they come,so if they don't like it don't come.

I agree it is Harley;s home as well as yours and I would seperate them as much as possible ato protect him.

what if Harley was your child and they treated him like this.
?????????I mean your skin child not your fur child.????????

Not in my house family or not.

Tricia and the fur kids
PS didn't mean to sound so militant,but my house my rules.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 07:02:45 am »
Aint family great.  I had something similar to what you are going thru happening with me and Jack.  I would always bite my tongue and Jack would suffer for it.  It seemed as tho he was being punished for the bad behavior of someone else.  One day, it really had me at wits end and I said something.  I was told "It's not that big a deal"  But I answered "It's a big deal to me".  And the next time we were in that situation, Jack's comfort and personality was taken into account. 

Sometimes you have to do what you wouldn't normally do and speak up for, in this case, Harley. 

I'm sure your sister loves you very much and just doesn't realize she is alienating you. 

Good luck and Happy Pesach.

Tina

Thank you all for the ongoing advise and support!  And thank you Tima for the holiday wish.

Today Harley got them good (bad me!!)  I was off at work and they let him out in the backyard - our neighbors dog came over for a visit and they jumped all over each other and my yard is MUDDY - Harley came in covered from head to paw - they had to swiffer wet the floors 3 times.  I must say he is a happy, muddy mess!!

Oh well off to brush out some of the dirt!!

Thanks again!
Randy & Harley

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:28:43 am »
boy, i know how hard this can be!  i feel your pain, i just wish i could do more for you!  for instance, my mother in law won't let ANY of our dogs within 10 foot of her before she starts yelling at them.  literally.  they don't even have to be doing anything, sleeping even and she'll get mad they're "too close" to her even if she's the one who moved somewhere that put her closer.  the whole time she's here all i hear about is how horrible my dogs are, and here's the catch.  they're great.  they don't cause trouble, they don't make messes, or bother anyone, NOTHING.  all i can say is, keep seeing humor in things that happen, and just remember.  when they leave, it'll go back to normal and maybe they'll stay in a hotel next time (you may not want that, but that's what i wish for at least, and after 4 years everybody has finally gotten the point and does it!)
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]