Author Topic: How does this happen to pyr babies?  (Read 10267 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: How does this happen to pyr babies?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 09:22:04 am »
I am sorry if I come off as extremly angry about this subject but it does make me really angry...& I forgot to add that it is a good thing there are people like us who stand by our committments but I too often feel we are in the minority...Som etimes I feel I am fighting a loosing battle with the rest of the world.  :(

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 10:38:22 am »
Very true, and extremely well-said, Gypsy!! I see the results of this every day at our shelter, too. I can't tell you how many pure bred GSDs, Rottweilers, and labs I see all the time, not to mention chihuahuas, beagles, schnauzers, chows, great danes, rat terriers - you name it - we've had it. And, most of them - especially for the big dogs - are a result of owners bringing them in after they are not cute little puppies anymore, but big dogs that - SURPRISE - couldn't train themselves to go potty outside or were so bored from lack of attention they chewed up the furniture or dug a hole to china in their precious manicured backyard.

I have bit my tongue so much when people tell me how they had to "get rid of" their precious dog because of behavior problems or because he was too big. They always start off by saying "we loved him, but" or "he was a great dog, but.."

Excuse me? You LOVED him? Do you routinely abandon living creatures that you love to possibly die in a gas chamber within 24 hours because you can't take a little extra effort to train them to be a part of your family? Or spend a few extra dollars on an obedience class? Or a few hours online researching training techniques or alternatives to help him gel with your household??

Anyway, this topic struck a nerve with me - can you tell? There is no reason to let your dog get pregnant or breed ANY dog unless you are prepared to take on the responsibility of those puppies until they find a permanent, responsible home.

Kudos to each and every one of you on this list - whether you purchased your dog from a breeder or adopted from a rescue or shelter - I can tell by the conversations on here that you all are the shamfully rare elite who consider your dogs a family member and not posession to be disposed of when it's not convenient anymore.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 10:56:04 am »
Ty jj!...& you know, it just occured to me that the same people who don't take life seriously & are irresponsible are the same reason I feel guilty that I want my purebreed dogs!...I shouldn't have to feel that way for choosing a breed that I know fits us & comes from a responsible breeder!!!...I have 11 other animals in my house not counting Samson & the soon to come Delilah...Cats, bunnies, & our surviving little guinea pig princess...The vast majority rescues, strays, shelter pets or oterwise "unwanteds"..Not a purebreed anything in the bunch nor did I care!...I just wanted to give them the love they deserved!...But, regardless I still feel guilty about not giving a shelter dog a home...Why?..Because of the previously said kind of people!...It really burns my butt!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 11:20:15 am »
Ty Tina!...& you are right...I am probably just battling my own conscience...S amson is my 1st dog & though I fought myself over it I knew I needed a dog without "baggage" from prior training or owners...& I knew that I needed to know what to expect from my dog as per having young children & small animals here...Althoug h I have very good reason it is still difficult knowing that maybe I could have saved a life. :'(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 11:55:17 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 11:21:51 am »
I got Rocco as a puppy from a shelter, he had tons of small medical issues which brought his cost from $100 rescue fee to over $750 in vet and care in the first year, which is close to the cost of a Rott or Newf, I think.

I got Maia as a puppy for $750 from a breeder who didn't know how hard it would to be raise a litter of puppies.  She came to me in good health and has only had minor issue with a UTI and staph infection in her fist year. 

When I got Maia a few people couldn't believe I got a dog from a breeder with all the volunteer work I do with Circle Tail.  Some peoples comments made me feel that it was aweful that I would do that when I saw so many dogs who 'needed a good home'.  None of the other dogs fit what I wanted.  I wanted a Mastiff.  I have the resources of time, space, and money to take care of my dogs for the rest of their lives.  They will never (unless someone steals them and I can't hunt that person down and kill them) end up in a shelter.

Other people being irresponsible might always make you feel a little guilty for buying a dog from a breeder but you shouldn't.  You are good person who needs to get a dog that fits what your family needs.  Plus you have the resources to get that dog.

Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 11:28:35 am »
I am glad I posted how I feel...I feel much better...Ty!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 12:34:47 pm »
I have to admit that, up until recently, "breeder" was a bad word in my book. That comes from doing rescue in ALL of my free time and seeing the results of backyard breeders, hoarders and irresponsible pet owners not sterilizing their pets and letting them run loose to get preggers.

However, recently I have come in contact with some VERY responsible breeders - those who only breed for the love of the breed, will not breed their dogs for more than five years and let their dogs only have a maximum of one litter per year. These breeders are vigilant about where their dogs end up - not just the first person to pony up the money and will even do follow-up checks and home visits if they think it's necessary. I know one lady who even sends her puppies Christmas and Birthday presents religiously!!

These are the people who should be allowed to breed and should be applauded for breeding pets instead of property, who offer healthy family members instead of a home-based business opportunity.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 10:59:02 pm »
jj, You are so right!...If no one bred the breeds we know & love would become no more. :'(  RESPONSIBLE is the key word here!...For the love of the breed..for the love of the breed!!!! ;D

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 09:00:27 am »
You are all soooooo smart!  I think I resolve myself from now on to speak my mind and say the following:

"Excuse me? You LOVED him? Do you routinely abandon living creatures that you love to possibly die in a gas chamber within 24 hours because you can't take a little extra effort to train them to be a part of your family? Or spend a few extra dollars on an obedience class? Or a few hours online researching training techniques or alternatives to help him gel with your household??"

Thanks jj and everyone else.  I think you took this topic to a crucial level.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 09:28:43 am »
Yw Moonlit...It always stengthens my fight for the animals when I have interaction with like minded people...Ty for asking the question what happens when...I keep coming back to this thread as it is really moving me to read the posts & replies....Tod ay I am going to contact the nearest rescue & ask what I can do in the way of transporting or perhaps fostering...Th ere really is more I can do! ;D

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 09:43:55 am »
The more I mature and learn about people, the more I begin to adopt the notion that people need to hear the truth.  They so seldom have an opportunity to hear the truth, because more often than not other people are more worried about being "liked" than pointing out the facts.  Perhaps if more of us take on the challenge of being "frank" (and we don't need a sex change for that) then we may not be "liked" per se, but we will attract honest people we can stand to be around.  Or at least those who appreciate the truth and are willing to take responsibility .
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline luvs-pyrs

• Gnawer
  • My Baby Girl Megan
    • View Profile
    • Saving Pyrs In Need
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 06:54:44 am »
I'm in rescue, www.txpyrs.org, and I have yet to see any rescue that "kills".
I would be so hacked off if there was any. The only time that is done is if there is NO way of turning that
dog around, meaning sick, injured or just totally untrustable/biting, and making it adoptable.
But I have yet to see any of that done in our group. We exhaust EVERY avenue there is before we would put a dog down.
We have 2 pyr pups up for adoption right now. SOOOOO SWEET. The best thing is the foster home they are in has young children so the pups are being raised with kids.
As far as breeders dumping puppies, I was at a first monday type thing and a breeder had 1 male pyr w/ papers and was just going to give him to me. SAD.
What really breaks your heart is these 1-2 y.o. pyrs that come to you that are trained and everything else but the owners didn't take care of them ie: heartworm meds, mange etc...
Not that gets to me everytime.  :(
Heather