Author Topic: Dog Urine Killing Grass  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Whiskerbiscuit94

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dog Urine Killing Grass
« on: April 03, 2007, 07:06:29 am »
We have two golden retrievers at home.  Unfortunately their urine is killing our grass.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Urine Killing Grass
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:46:18 am »
Dont know if this will help but over here i Aussie can can buy These things that look like Rocks (sorry cant think for the life of me what there called DOH )that you put in their water and it helps to stop the urine killing the grass
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:04:53 am »
We also have a problem with this, although it used to be much worse.  I have looked into giving Koby supplements to help with the urine ph level, but there are reports of the supplements actually causing harm to dogs so I chose not to treat Koby but instead treat the lawn.  In the spring/summer I soak the pee area with water daily, he only really goes in one area, so I make sure to saturate the lawn with water to dilute the urine and it works really well.  We have a small spot of grass that's not growing back in so well but our lawn is looking much better this year than it has in the past.  Hopefully this helps a bit, good luck and welcome to BPO!

Offline Rugby and Kona mum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • BLOG
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:00:10 pm »
Someone told me a long time ago to feed your dog a daily tab of vitamin C and it changes the PH of the urine to prevent grass burning. I don't know how true this is but since starting it years ago we always had green grass- at one time we had 6 dogs in our house (Rugby was the smallest). I feed my guys one chewable Vitamin C tab a day, the grass stays green, their immune systems are strong, and they love the extra treat!
Let me be the person my dog thinks I am

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:27:12 pm »
haven't had that problem yet....my dog likes to pee on my decorative rocks in my flower garden....good thing that i don't have any flowers....
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox