Author Topic: Questions for breeders or those with breeding experience  (Read 11978 times)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: Questions for breeders or those with breeding experience
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 07:06:46 am »
i have never had that problem   tho im sure it could happen   have to be as carefull as possible
if not for ethical breeders  most people wouldnt be in this site
some storys arte sad, but most are wonderfull

like i said  go to the shelter and adopt if you want a pet to love and do not want to go to a breeder

our contract says  we have the right to pop in at anytime to visit our pup and  if you cannot for any reason keep the dog,,,,at any age, must come back to us for placement
 i guess i have been very lucky on my dogs  and hope anyone that breeds  will be as lucky to get wonderful homes for the pups
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

ann

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 07:11:44 am »

i just wanted to ad ,for those who breed to better the breed and do all the testing and do everything possible to make sure your pups have good homes i do respect you and  i know you all love your breed and want nothing more than to have good healthy pups in good homes......... ........

taijinrr you dog is great i was considering a ridgeback before i decided on boxers now seeing yours i want one again

ann

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 07:12:48 am »
The lady who originally bred Sanity (She falsified Neutering papers to my friend who bred the father and sold him to her on a S/N) had 19 puppies she couldn't find homes for.  I think she sold 2 and it was to the same family, and they just couldn't stand to see them left there.  The good breeders are the ones that would take care of left over puppies, but they never have puppies left.  The bad ones dump them or sell them as bait dogs (THis is a HUGE problem with Danes) and they always have puppies left.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 07:19:15 am »
thank you ann
i consider that a wonderful compliment  e mail me if you want to see my dog page at

billie4121@aol.com

for the love of the breed !!!!!!

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 07:26:34 am »
btw     he kinda spoil our dogs  but  that is why they own us   lol

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 07:31:00 am »
good luck  wish you the best   how exciting for you
wait until you get your championship  what a high!!!!!!!!!
keep me posted  love to see the winners 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 07:57:28 am »
That all makes me feel good about the breeder I am getting our new Pyr pup from!...I felt good about the whole contract, health & temperment gauruntee, & the fact that she stands behind her dogs 100%...Also, I believe the contract stated that the dog has to go back to her if I can't keep it for any reason...Like that will ever happen!...lol...She also has the be spayed as per contract agreement...Sh e has been raising these dogs for 20 years & I know some of them in my new pups line have & are being shown...It makes me feel like I am getting a dog that I can trust in!...I'll be forthright here, Samson came from I guess what would be considered a b.y.b....His mother only had 3 litters in her lifetime & the dogs come from long line of actual working dogs on both sides & that is what she breeds for...She has her own sheep farm & the mother & father both worked there...She also raises Border Collies to work her farm & to sell as working dogs mostly...She only has the 2 sets of dogs to breed hers is a very small operation but there was no health & temperment gauruntee, no contract...I do keep in touch with her & she has always been there for advise & support...I take Sammy to see her & she stops by here as she works in town...But Sammy does have temperment issues for sure!...he's not mean or agressive but extremely wary of not only strangers but it even takes him what seems liek forever to warm up to fairly frequent visitors in our home...I have to say though I feel much better about the circumstances surrounding our new Pyr girl...There is a certain peace of mind that goes along with her that is worth more than money...Don't get me wrong, Samson is loved & cherished as much as any dog could ever be & I wouldn't give him up for the best pedigree a dog could carry or all the titles, gauruntees, or anything else in the world...He is my baby!!!...But I just feel so safe with this new girl who is coming...Again, peace of mind is priceless!

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 09:23:30 am »
i do not know anything about thr great pyrn  are they supposed to be aloof with strangers??
if so  i dont see a problem

thank goodness for ethical breeders who care more about the homes the pups go to then the all mighty dollar
anyone who ,,,,,,ummmmmmmm
always has puppies available is either overbreeding or  has a lot of bitches  something to check on
there is a so called  breeder in texas who always has puppies  any one who is interested in seeing something so apalling  can e mail me at

billie4121@aol.com   it's a letter some one sent to me who bought,,,,,,, at a lower cost, then most breeders, a puppy and what horror this woman and her poor little baby went threw, the puppy was put to sleep befoer the age of 1 year.  also,,,,, beware of guarentees on 2 year hips   ,,,you cant OFA until 2, so the gaurentee is null and void by then. even if both parents are OFA good to excelent, dosnt mean the puppy will have good hips, but the % is so much lower.! most times  the genetics are produced and the puppy will be sound. example:   a litter of 14 i had,,,,,,,all puppys at the age of two who were OFA were good to excelent.  omg  yes  14, and all sound and healthy, except for me  lol. actually  i enjoyed them  and missed the babys when they left, i still see 5 of them in person, and photos of the others, some who went on to become champions, others that did obed. cgc, cd  cdx  etc and more. one thing i do know, all are loved and have great homes.  that is the most inportant thing to me, show or not!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 09:56:39 am »
Pyrs are aloof dogs but Samson takes it to an extreme I think...He used to knock down chairs & barstools in my house trying to hide under them from my visitors...He had no socialization before we got him at 14 weeks though so that worked to his disadvantage.. .After MUCH time & effort spent on socialization he will actually do what I call a drive by sniffing when we are in public...That means he goes up behind someone to sniff them & usually they are unaware of it....VERY rarely will he allow a strangerto approach him even if they are following the rules I insist on for him...& he is so very wary & tentative still...Both my vet & Samson's trainer have told me that they can't believe he is the same dog they first met...He was a BASKET CASE back then but he has come a very long way...My new little girl is very people oriented...The y can't keep her out wiht the goats with the rest of her family...She is always on the porch begging to be let in the house & that is what I am looking for!...Another Sammy as much as we adore him would be a real headache!...Now, I realize he will never be a jump up & lick your face kind of dog...& that works perfectly for me...I love the big mellow dogs!...But I am hoping Delilah will teach him that people aren't all that bad. :)  Ty for the info. & advise taijinrr!...I do appreciate it!...& I fully agree with your views on uncaring unethical breeders but I don't have time to go into my anger about situations like that!...I am off to the Humane Society in the town I used to live in...I have a little gray cat no more than 6 month old who is pregnant...No, she's not mine (I have 8 of my own in the house) She showed up at my neighbors last night dirty, had been in a fight & starved...so very thin...Well, I kept her last night in the basement away from my cats & in a large pet porter with food, water, & litter box...I have worked with that Humane Society for years & they are excellent!...a 96% adoption rate...I hope she & kittens will be o.k. but I have done for her what I can. :'( I guess I am rambling on...sorry...S he is weighing on my mind & heart like all of the "unwanteds" I have done my best for in the past. :'( :(

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 09:59:04 am »
thank you for your reply and great work
good luck with the cat

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 10:04:17 am »
Thanks for the good luck wish!...She needs it...She doesn't look good & was coughing this morning...I fear the worst but the shelter will evaluate her & hopefully she will go to a good home...If it is the feline luekemia as I fear there is nothing I could do for her anyway. :'(

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 11:19:13 am »
Hopefully she will be fine, at least she is in good hands now and get the treatment that she needs. You did a great thing and saved more that one life  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 11:46:28 am »
Wow! Both Red and Taijinrr are so full of wonderful advice and expertise! Thanks for bing such wonderful breeders and being so loving and responsible with your dogs. You both are the type of breeders that the world needs more of!!  ;D I also like your requirements Red of getting the ss # and having a friend make a home visit if you can't. That shows how much you really do care about your forever babies! If I ever wanted a Rotti I would love to get one from you so that I would know I always had someone that I could count on for help when it was needed!

Our breeder sold Bear to us without restrictions which I know is very unheard of but she is awesome. We have gone to visit her so many times at her home and at shows and we adore her. She is so caring and kind and was a great shoulder to cry on when I thought Bear had dysplasia. We love her so much and wouldn't trade her for anything!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 12:41:52 pm »
Thanks Nina...It is just very difficult for me...I wish I could keep & save them all....That's for the most part how I ended up with the 8 cats, 2 house bunnies & guinea pig I have...I knew I had room, time & money for Samson as I wanted a dog so badly but couldn't get one until we bought our house...I also knew we wanted another Pyr & have everything I need for her too...But that is it...My family has to be complete after Delilah comes...I never walk away from ANY animal in need of my help I just sadly have no more room at the inn. :'(

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 01:10:06 pm »
Your a great person and mom. And its easy to tell you have a big heart.
My parents took in a pregnant stray cat, after our beloved siamese cat passed on, she was skin and bones, they took her to the vet and she was neg for feline leuk, and she pulled through just fine.   :)  I'm sure the cat you rescued will be fine and find it's forever home, and that is all because of you  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)