Author Topic: Ahhhhh! This is serious puppy torture!  (Read 3399 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Ahhhhh! This is serious puppy torture!
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:54:05 am »
So, my friend at work is getting a puppy. She's been looking and looking and had been looking at all different kinds of dogs. She loves Bella, so she had been looking at Saint pups too, but was trying to keep her options open. WELL... there is a farmer down in the corner of CO who has two Saint that had a litter of pups.  He's selling them for really cheap ($300)... that was originally a warning sign for me, but I've seen pics of the parents and pups and they look perfect to me. Anyway, my friend picked a little smooth coat girl and there are all these little fluffy boys available! I've been looking and "drooling" over little boy puppies a lot lately, and I know I want to get a buddy for Bella, but this is sooooooo not the best time for me!  I'm so tortured resisting the impulse to take one of the little boys.  I figured I would spill my guts here because if there is anyone who can relate to this kind of torture it's BPOers!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Ahhhhh! This is serious puppy torture!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 05:12:47 am »
Hahaha, I wish I could be your voice of reason but you sound like me. :P If it's really not your best time, I'd really try to excercise retraint and wait. As much as I adore Yiska, there are many times hubby and I think Yukon would have done just fine (if not better) if we didn't get her too. Initially, it was only going to be him and she was a last minute choice. Anyway, now I'm feeling it in expenses and the fact that Yukon is so much more well behaved when Yiska isn't around him- HA.

Course yours wouldn't be so close in age or anything and man I saw a Saint pup only once and once was enough, we really wanted one after that. ;D It would be hard to resist! Especially at that price. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:13:09 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 06:15:44 am »
HAHAHAHAA!!  The only reason I'm laughing is because every time we bring a new pet home it's never the "best time"!  We bring a new pet home and it never fails something happens and we have to spend MAJOR money on an emergency house/automobile fix. lol  Anyway, there's no such thing as exercizing restraint for me, that's why Tony trys to keep me away from kitties and puppies.  Congrats to your friend, and I think you should go ummm..."look" at the cute boy pups! hahahaa

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 06:22:49 am »
you definately have to go look.  if nothing else, for pictures for us to look at   ;)  i can relate to bringing a new friend home never being the best time.  every time i do it, i get lectured, or something happens that needs a lot of money.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:34:09 am »
LMAO I can so relate to the "bad things happening " when I want another pet or just got them ! Spook ( our new Newfie boy) was the worst , tons of things kept happening before we could pick him up ( like our pipes froze and flooded our house , our car died ...several times , hubby's work was not going well , etc ) and I kept wondering if it was a sign , but I'm so glad we got him in spite of all that ! So my advice is JUST DO IT !!!  ;D  8)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:40:22 am »
This is mean but hubby always calls Yiska the 'extra one' haha. .she's usually the one getting into trouble or the one we've had the health issues with. It's always "you had to go and get 2 didn't you". Or, the 'extra one' is pulling up the carpet again. ::) Poor Yisk
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:41:08 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Anakalia

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 06:48:11 am »
LMAO I can so relate to the "bad things happening " when I want another pet or just got them ! Spook ( our new Newfie boy) was the worst , tons of things kept happening before we could pick him up ( like our pipes froze and flooded our house , our car died ...several times , hubby's work was not going well , etc ) and I kept wondering if it was a sign , but I'm so glad we got him in spite of all that ! So my advice is JUST DO IT !!!  ;D  8)

BWAHAHAHAA!!  That just reminded me.  The day we went to get Koby we had to drive about 5 hours to get to him, Tony still wasn't sure he wanted a great dane living in our house, he was VERY hesitant, WELL that morning our daughter woke up with a cold and pink eye, but we had meds for that so we still decided to go, an hour into our drive 3 deer ran out in front of us and we hit one, our car didn't look so good and Tony was sooooo frustrated, he said "Andi, I think the deer are trying to tell us something, they must be trying to stop us from going!" hahahahaha I'm just glad we kept on going, Koby's the bestest dog ever! ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:48:56 am by Anakalia »

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 06:58:27 am »
Holy Deer! That's crazy... you could have said to Tony, "No honey. If the Deer were really trying to tell us something we would have hit ALL three of them." LOL

I"m trying to look at the extra dog in terms of the "Law of Diminishing Returns". Do I really feel that at this stage of my life I could provide enough time and attention for another dog? Of course part of my original thought was that having two dogs would provide them each with a playmate in the event that I actually didn't have the time one day for a walk.  I just don't want to get another animal only to realize one day that now between the dogs, cats and kids, no one is getting as much of "me" as they should be. Does that make sense??? 

Now, I just need to deal with my spontaneous, impulsive side...  ::) I don't think I'll survive a "look" trip! LOL... I may be able to get some pics though. I would love to post the little buggers. ;)

*** Modified because I don't know how to complete a sentence. ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 07:00:14 am by bluskygirl »
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 07:05:50 am »
1 dog .....4 dogs .... it's all the same to me ! LOL The only time consuming part I think , about adding a new dog is the puppy stage (ie potty training , OB training , etc) and I've SORT of skipped that with Spook so I'm happy about that  ;) But you've still gotta pick up poop , still have to feed your dog , still have to get the grooming stuff out , just do a little bit more with the new pup is all ! LOL Just go get one , every one needs a puppy !  :-*
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 07:10:12 am »
ha ha just think of it like this.  the more dogs you have the more productive your "assembly line" skills become at feeding time!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 07:15:58 am »
You guys are tricky! I so wish that I could.  I wish that I had a car big enough for all my kids... skin and fur. I don't though... what would I do?  Can't get a new car. I know, I'll just leave the skin kids at home with the gamecube. (Just Kidding). :D
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 08:20:10 am »
Oh you should see how I fit my four kids (and carseats) , three big dogs and one little dog , plus hubby and myself , and diaper bag , etc into our Expedition . I'm goooooooood  8) My hubby always says " I have faith in your packing abilities" LOL  ;D
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

chaosndestruction

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 03:53:30 am »
1 dog .....4 dogs .... it's all the same to me ! LOL The only time consuming part I think , about adding a new dog is the puppy stage (ie potty training , OB training , etc) and I've SORT of skipped that with Spook so I'm happy about that  ;) But you've still gotta pick up poop , still have to feed your dog , still have to get the grooming stuff out , just do a little bit more with the new pup is all ! LOL Just go get one , every one needs a puppy !  :-*

HAHA I agree! It sounds exactly like "ferret math" 1 or 4 what's the difference?

You need him!!!!