Author Topic: Urinary Incontinence and Prion?  (Read 7601 times)

EllieAndBlu

Re: Urinary Incontinence and Prion?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 02:51:53 am »
Thank you Kathryn, I will ask about the Sudafed.  It would be nice to have another option.  She (the vet) did offer one other option when we had Daisy's appt.  It was to put her on a synthetic female hormone (I don't recall what it was called) but it's possible side effect was cancer, so we chose the Proin.  We just lost our 3 y/o Pyr to inoperable bone cancer last year, so possibly increasing the risk of cancer really worried us.  Do you have any experience with this hormone?

Is the hormone DES? That is what my dobie/pit girl is on for her incontinence. She was diagnosed about 3 years ago... for the first year or so whe was on Proin but about a year or so ago she was changed to a low dose of DES (synthetic female hormone). After a bunch of research and the vet assuring me the risks are very low, esp. because of the low dose used to treat incontinence in dogs. I tried it with Ellie and she has responded very well. I haven't read anything about it causing cancer in dogs.

Hope this info helps.

I am currectly in the process of researching natural alternatives for treating incontinence, as I would really rather Ellie not have to take meds, if possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:06:24 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Urinary Incontinence and Prion?
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 02:30:55 pm »
Thank you Kathryn, I will ask about the Sudafed.  It would be nice to have another option.  She (the vet) did offer one other option when we had Daisy's appt.  It was to put her on a synthetic female hormone (I don't recall what it was called) but it's possible side effect was cancer, so we chose the Proin.  We just lost our 3 y/o Pyr to inoperable bone cancer last year, so possibly increasing the risk of cancer really worried us.  Do you have any experience with this hormone?

Is the hormone DES? That is what my dobie/pit girl is on for her incontinence. She was diagnosed about 3 years ago... for the first year or so whe was on Proin but about a year or so ago she was changed to a low dose of DES (synthetic female hormone). After a bunch of research and the vet assuring me the risks are very low, esp. because of the low dose used to treat incontinence in dogs. I tried it with Ellie and she has responded very well. I haven't read anything about it causing cancer in dogs.

Hope this info helps.

I am currectly in the process of researching natural alternatives for treating incontinence, as I would really rather Ellie not have to take meds, if possible.

I'm sorry, I don't remember now if it was DES or not.  I'll probably be taking Sammy into the vet soon though to have his teeth checked and I'll try to remember to ask the vet what the female hormone was called.  I'm glad that the DES has been working so well for your girl and thanks for passing that info on, it really does help!  I'll definately keep that in mind too if/when (more likely when :-\) we need it.  A natural alternative treatment would be wonderful!  I'd love to know what you find out. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees