Author Topic: It's the craziest thing...  (Read 5948 times)

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
It's the craziest thing...
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:11:06 am »
We have no idea what our pup Cooper did to himself to cause this limping he has this morning!!  He's completely favoring his front left leg.  It seems to be at the joint right above his foot, but I'm not real sure.  Has anyone had experience with their dog limping for some unknown reason?  He hasn't been out romping around at all to cause a strained ligament or anything...he's been in the house and in the garage.  Any ideas?  Is there a certain amount of time I should give it to see if it gets better?   ???

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: It's the craziest thing...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:11:45 am »
what kind of dog is he?  age, weight also please (over or under weight or at an ideal weight).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:12:38 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:14:50 am »
He's a 6 month old great dane...75lbs.. .

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:18:13 am »
Well all I know is that my pups limp randomly from time to time. The first time I got very concerned, but it didn't last long. Yiska just did it the other night, it was right after she had gotten up from a long nap. I know Yukon barreled out of the crate completely on top of her, but she didn't make any noise so I don't think that was it (they do that all the time). That went away too, not long after.

How long has he been doing it this morning?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:19:44 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 06:21:42 am »
I just noticed it.  At first, I thought that since he sometimes sleeps with it all curled up, that maybe he'd done it for too long and it was bothering him.  I think it's bugging him so much that he's not his usual spastic self and is willing to settle down and sleep (he never wants to settle down in the house at this age!)  I can't see any swelling or anything.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 06:25:34 am »
Try googling "Enostosis" aka "Growing pains". My friends BT is currently going thru it ...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:32:19 am »
or "Pano" aka Panosteitis (sp?).  My GSD Faust had that on and off for the first couple years of his life, its also known as growing pains or shifting lameness in young dogs.  It is the inflammation of the long bone and can be sometimes connected to high protien levels in the dogs food.  Best of luck, its no fun for the poor pups.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.