Author Topic: Why me? Why Now? AHHH!.. Update with pic :D  (Read 6400 times)

Lyn

Why me? Why Now? AHHH!.. Update with pic :D
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:59:02 am »
This morning I got a surprise! Not a pleasant one either!

Lola just turned a year old on April 6th. We were going to wait until she turned 2 to spay her but I said h*ll with it.. it's time to do it now because I don't want to deal with the mess and Bubba with the new puppy coming home.. etc.

Well what do I discover this morning? Lola is in heat! :'( What reallllly ticks me off is that I just made her an appointment YESTERDAY! to go in on Thursday for bloodwork and a checkup. She was going to be spayed next week! So I call my vet and the tech says I have to wait now until 3 months after her heat is finished to book her spay. ::) OHHH it just gets better and better. >:(

And just to add a little disclaimer.. no worries about pregnancy.. I've made arrangements for Bubba to go to my brothers to stay in the event that he becomes an uncontrollable beast. So far he just seems a little depressed but he's listening well and behaving himself.

I know it's my own fault I didn't have her spayed sooner.. I just needed to vent. :( ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:19:53 am by Lyn »

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Why me? Why Now? AHHHHH!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:12:02 am »
AHHHHHH, what timing huh? That sucks!! That's one reason I'm doing it earlier, not to mention the male/female problem I'll have as well.  Well at least you have somewhere for him to go, I'll be amazed if he continues to do that well!

When it rains it pours huh.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:19:29 am »
that sucks  :-\ that's about how life goes though!  hope all goes well, and not too messy!  will you be trying the doggie undies?  if you do, you gotta get pics ha ha, i can just see her running around in frilly undies!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:31:07 am »
Oh Lyn that does suck...  hang in there!

But now that is is just you two girls... you could embrace the raging hormones.... make a big bowl of buttery popcorn and watch some chick flicks like "Beaches" and "Steel Magnolias".... LOL
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:55:02 am by EllieAndBlu »

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:38:45 am »
Sucks big time! I caught it right away which is good at least.

But yeah undies or boxers with 'sanitary napkins'. Right now she's not too messy and that's good because I'm going to have to buy her 'undies' since I don't have anything that will fit her big butt. LOL

I don't know how breeders do it having intact males and female.. because I'm already stressing.  :D

LMAO! EllieAndBlu! I needed a good laugh.  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:39:52 am by Lyn »

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:52:47 am »
Hi Lyn.  Gracie is a woman now too and I'm feeling your pain on waiting to have her spayed.  I did the exact same thing and my vet said we have to now wait 2 months beginning at the end of her cycle which lasts at least on month.  YIKES!!!  The best part is we have classes we take.  So, I really do feel for you.  I think the chick flick night is AWE-some.  I may do that too..  Hang in there.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:01:31 am »
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if this is the beginning of her heat afterall. What color should the discharge be at first? Sorry to gross anyone out but it's more of a yellowish-brown with tinges of red. ???

If she's farther into her heat that might explain why she's allowing Bubba to sniff to his hearts content instead of chewing his face off? But how the heck could I miss the blood?

Ok I'm confused now. LOL

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:13:55 am »
SOmeone can corect me if I'm wrong,
But from what I can remember from my vet class The first sign is bloody discharge,after about 9 days it starts to change from pink to clear and thats when they are receptive to the male.She may also go through a false pregnancy afterward,She may start eating more and carry things around like she would a pup.
Of course there are exceptions to the rule.
Jackie
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:35:30 am »
SOmeone can corect me if I'm wrong,
But from what I can remember from my vet class The first sign is bloody discharge,after about 9 days it starts to change from pink to clear and thats when they are receptive to the male.She may also go through a false pregnancy afterward,She may start eating more and carry things around like she would a pup.
Of course there are exceptions to the rule.
Jackie

Hey Jackie.  That is all good to know.  Now I know what to look for.  Oh, and I had a beagle once that had a false pregnancy.  Her uterus became large which made her look very pregnant and everything.  She carried around remotes and phones and toys as if they were babies.  It was very strange and cute all at the same time.  She was spayed two months later.   ;)
Misty slave to:
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane

Lyn

Re: Why me? Why Now? AHHH!.. Update with pic :D
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 02:23:42 am »
Well that was the beginning of Lola's heat. We have 'mess' this morning. Poor Lola and stupid me!  >:(

Anyway I didn't have any undies that fit her. So I dug through my old summer shorts and found a pair that 'barely' fit her. But they will work for the moment. So I took a pic so you all can see how impressed she is. LOL

By the way this is so NOT fun. To anyone even remotely thinking of waiting to spay! DON'T!

Anakalia

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 02:31:07 am »
Awwww, well she looks cute in shorts.  I hear ya on the mess, it's not fun at all. 

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 02:35:47 am »
Ha ha..  Look at her.  Lola's all growsed up.  I have a question for you Lyn.  What day did you notice she was beginning her cycle?  I'm trying to prep myself for the icky part with Gracie and I want to be ready.  So far there is only obvious swelling and color change in her area (sorry for the graphic detail) but no discharge.  That began yesterday morning.  Today it's the same so I thought I'd try to narrow it down to when the fun part comes and she'll need to wear big girl pants.  Lola by the way is such a doll.  I love her face.
Misty slave to:

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 02:44:31 am »
ha ha ha i love her shorts.  this is why i keep males only, except sheeba who i just couldn't turn down.  if she has a false pregnancy, that's kind of tough.  sheeba was in one when we got her and would carry a stuffie around non stop, and attack other dogs when they went around it (sent tiny to the emergency vet b/c she gashed her throat and almost killed her).  cute, yes, but also very dangerous to have a p*ssed off think-i'm-a-momma dog going after everyone else.  good luck!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:03 am »
So far the only attitude change I've seen is that she is extremely clingy to everyone including the poor cats. LOL

I also cancelled any plans for the next 3 weeks. My mother usually doggy sits for me but I can't risk putting this all on her.  

Gracie Belle, Yesterday was the first time I noticed anything and Bubba kind of alerted me to that. She left some super tiny specks on the kitchen floor that at first I thought might have been her anal glands leaking again since it was a similar color. That's when I noticed the swelling and the bleeding started this morning.  :(

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 03:16:08 am »
Thank you so much Lyn for the information.  It's been a really long time since I've had to watch for this (Not since I had my beagle Mimi, several years ago) and I don't really remember what I was watching for.  Thanks again.   
Misty slave to: