Author Topic: Is Nature's Remedy effective as tick/flea preventative??  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Rufus 10536

• Gnawer
  • Rufus the Goofus Labradoodle
    • View Profile
Is Nature's Remedy effective as tick/flea preventative??
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:31:26 am »
I'd LOVE to use something other than Frontline on Rufus since I have young children who can't stay away from him for the day or so after I've given him the once-monthly treatment, but wonder if anyone has had good results with Nature's Remedy or any other herbal tick/flea preventative?  The info with the product says it will actually kill fleas/ticks, but since I live in the NE and tick season is well underway (I pulled two off yesterday - poor Rufie), I want to make sure I'm being as vigilant as possible.  Thanks for any comments! 
Robin & Rufus

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Is Nature's Remedy effective as tick/flea preventative??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:44:29 am »
Hi,

I asked about this yesterday and the feed back sounds good.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,17060.msg207527.html#new
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:02:27 am »

Yes...natural essential oils are very effective at repelling fleas and ticks.  There are many products on the market to consider, but since I make my own I can't recommend any.

Citronella and lavender are key ingredients for fleas, and palmarosa or rose geranium are key ingredients for ticks.

Keep in mind that the best flea prevention is health - fleas only infest unhealthy animals so if a dog is unhealthy and has a weak immune system, fleas may still be able to set up shop.  Any dog however can get a flea or two and this is easy to manage with natural essential oils.

Ticks are opportunistic and will drop on anything it can - so the oils help to prevent them from attaching.  I have a dramatic difference in the number of ticks I pull off my dogs on days I don't spray them with my concoction, than on the days I do.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:18:19 pm »

Yes...natural essential oils are very effective at repelling fleas and ticks.  There are many products on the market to consider, but since I make my own I can't recommend any.

Citronella and lavender are key ingredients for fleas, and palmarosa or rose geranium are key ingredients for ticks.

Keep in mind that the best flea prevention is health - fleas only infest unhealthy animals so if a dog is unhealthy and has a weak immune system, fleas may still be able to set up shop.  Any dog however can get a flea or two and this is easy to manage with natural essential oils.

Ticks are opportunistic and will drop on anything it can - so the oils help to prevent them from attaching.  I have a dramatic difference in the number of ticks I pull off my dogs on days I don't spray them with my concoction, than on the days I do.
I have been using these oils for a while and I have to tell you MY DOG HATES THE SMELL OF IT. Every time I pick the spray bottle I have to chase her for 10 min. Now I spray it on paper towel and wipe her with it (the minimum, so she doesn't go insane from smell).
Do you think it may be too strong? I mix it with water as well...
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:13:09 am »

Sure....many dogs are very scent sensitive and hate the smell of one oil scent or another.  I know a dog who buries his head over the scent of lavender, and one of my girls hates the citronella - very pungent.

Diluting effectively can help - I put 10 drops of each oil in several tablespoons of almond oil - and then put all of that in a large spray bottle filled with water - it is highly diluted but the fragrance is still apparent - this is key.

Also, I never spray on the upper half of the body to keep away from mucous membranes.  Ticks usually go for the neck and behind the ears so I dab a drop on the back of the neck. Fleas go for the rear - base of tail and butt where they are out of reach and this is where I generally spray.

If one scent is too horrible for her - you could try testing the scents and leaving one out - or reducing that one significantly and see if the potion still works. It just can't be the palmarosa or rose geranium that you elminate as that is key for ticks.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar