Author Topic: Newf Questions HELP!  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Pascal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newf Questions HELP!
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:56:33 am »
Hi, I am new to this board...not new to Newfs though. We have an 8 month old girl named Guinness. So cute. She is my second Newf my first, Murphy, 13 years old but with the ex. ....

So I forgot alot about puppyhood with a Newf......

I am pretty sure that she must be peeing in her sleep. Sometimes she will be quite wet...and smelly when she gets up after sleeping. SHe is fully housetrained so I am sure it is when she is sleeping. So that is sad but the worst part is she smells SO bad!! We wash her at the pet wash often but I don't think Newfs should be washed frequently. Am I right? Has anyone had this before? Will she grow out of it. Her whole pen stinks of pee and I clean it all the time.

Trimming. It might help to know if people trim the behinds of their Newfs...she actuallly often pees or drips on herself and this might be part of the stinky problem.

Thanks
Jill

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Newf Questions HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:21:08 am »
Have you tried waking her up to take her outside? I know that'd probably be pretty inconvenient, b/c I'm guessing you're sleeping, too... But I'm not sure what else you could do. I would talk to a vet about it, too. When I taught kindergarten, I had a kid who I had to wake up in the middle of nap time to get her to the bathroom, or she'd have an accident. It seems like it'd work for a dog, except it'd just be a pain sometimes if you're sleeping.

You could try trimming her, but but the issue of peeing would still be there and I would guess it wouldn't completely solve the smell issue.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:11:44 am »
i'd get a good check over by a vet, for UTI's, or some other actual cause for it.  waking puppies up from naps works great, if it's not caused by some sort of physical problem.  we had to do it with axle b/c he had to go RIGHT when he got up, and couldn't get outside in time, so we ended up carrying him or waking him up.

if it's actually urinary incontinence here's a good website to explain some of the causes.  also, sometimes spaying can cause this in some dogs, although i don't remember if it would start right away or until later in life.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_urinary_incontinence.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:18:14 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:37:11 pm »
Rosie, our 4 year-old Newf, develops a pretty bad pee smell on her backside too... because she's an impatient pee-er (she starts peeing even before she's completely hovered and she starts to get up without 'shaking' the rest of her tinkle) causing her pee to get caught in her fur. It's impossible to get the pee smell out, we'd have to wash her back area fur everyday to do so. So we usually just get her pee and poo area shaved, as well as her fur inside her back legs. That way, there's nothing for the pee to get caught on.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Pascal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:26:27 am »
THanks for the help. I'll start with the backside trim and see if I can find that Odour Product. If the peeing continues I will take her to the vet. She is such a delightful girl but seriously that smell really makes you back off!!

Thanks,
Jill

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:22:20 pm »
Newfs have a genetic disorder that is prevelent that can cause incontinence, unfortunatly I can't remember anything else about it. Maybe one of the breeders or someone who has been more active with the breed than I will remember. I would definitly talk to the vet about it.