Author Topic: My dog is TOO SPASTIC!!  (Read 13650 times)

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My dog is TOO SPASTIC!!
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:48:43 pm »
Okay, so Cooper is 6 months old, but he is really driving me nuts.  He's a great dane, and from what I understood BEFORE we got him was that danes were mellow, relaxed dogs.  HUH!!  He is constantly trying to run off with the kids' things, the laundry (socks especially), and today it was the library books!!!  He has plenty of toys, a Kong included...whi ch he won't play with.  Today, we were trying out a new furniture arrangement and he decided to launch himself over the back of the couch.

Does anyone else have stories to share about how their dog USED to be spastic and now is a perfect relaxed angel???I really need some sort of light at the end of the tunnel thing  ;D or is it >:(

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: My dog is TOO SPASTIC!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:02:10 pm »
Cooper sounds like a "toot".  Those are my favorite kinds of puppy dogs.  I once had a great dane named Shaft and before I knew better I use to let him run throughout the house free when I was at work.  Though we had carpeted floors he still managed to rearrange the furniture.  Oh, and he also ate every pair of shoes that I owned.  Ahhh.  The good old day's.  ::)  I quickly learned about crate training after that.  Crate training combined with a good long walk works wonders.  I'd love to see pictures of Cooper.  He sounds like a real character.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 03:13:18 pm »
I brought Koby home when he was 7 months old and boy was he a handful!  He put holes in our walls, got into garbage daily, and was just a silly troublemakin' 115 lbs. pup!  He settled down eventually around the age of 2 and now he only gets the crazy zoomies once in awhile, but I wouldn't have traded his destructive puppy phase for anything, most of the time I was laughing hysterically at all the crazy stuff he was doing.  Good times....good times... hahahaa

Crate training does help tremendously, so if you don't already have a crate, I'd definitely get one.  Good luck!  :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:27:42 pm »
We have 2 Pyrs (our 3rd & 4th over the years) and a big Golden mix, so no experience specifically with Great Danes, but that sounds very puppy to me.  Our pups have all done that kind of thing.  TV remote controls & the kids wooden train tracks have been big favorites around here, and our first Pyr (17 yrs ago)made it her life's work to excavate & disable the sprinkler system weekly for quite awhile.   ::)

We've also had great luck with crate training and stuffed Kong's, they've kept us sane at some points.  Give your mischief maker a big hug for me.  ;) and please post pics when you can.

Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:06:53 pm »
6 months?  Cue the start of the dane puppiness stage!  ;)

Danes are growing so fast those first 6 months that their body doesn't have as much energy as normal puppies (usually.. there are always exceptions).  However when they hit 6-9months their growth slows down dramatically and their energy comes UP!  lol  That combined with adolescence makes for a trying time.. matter of fact its the age when 90% of danes are given up to rescue. 

Stick to it, enjoy the goofiness but make sure he has lots of supervision and guidance and go over his obedience like he was a little puppy again(even though he is huge, in reality he is still a puppy for a least another 18months).  After you ride it out, you'll have a great laidback companion to enjoy. 

Best of luck and try to have fun with it.. as trying as it can be sometimes.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 10:30:09 pm »
OOps.. I meant to say that 90% of Danes who come into rescue are this age(6-18mo)...   not that 90% of Danes this age go into rescue.   ::) sorry about that..
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:30:40 pm »
I've posted pics before, but since you guys like them so much, here ya go!! :D

My 12 year old daughter told me yesterday that Cooper has KHD....(Knuckle Head Disease).

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:36:51 pm »
lol thats hilarious, great pictures!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 01:08:16 pm »
Hahahaha  Knuckel head... that is Masons favorite saying...  Dont worry it does get better.... I am just not sure when. lol.  Morph is almost a year and a half and he is still a "blurta hound" which is crazy dog in German.  I will be sooo happy when he grows out of it but I will miss it also.  So just do what I do... when he does something crazy... take pictures first... then scold.  It gives ya enough time to cool down some and realize how nutty they really are.

Enjoy lol
Carrie
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:42:51 am »
Duramax is 14 months old and has settled down considerably. his hyper moments are becoming farther imbetween, and usualy you have to instigate the mood for it to be there. he still gets all goofy when we have company but there is a marked improvement. time makes the biggest difference.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 09:49:29 am »
Okay, so Cooper is 6 months old, but he is really driving me nuts.  He's a great dane, and from what I understood BEFORE we got him was that danes were mellow, relaxed dogs.  HUH!!  He is constantly trying to run off with the kids' things, the laundry (socks especially), and today it was the library books!!!  He has plenty of toys, a Kong included...whi ch he won't play with.  Today, we were trying out a new furniture arrangement and he decided to launch himself over the back of the couch.

Does anyone else have stories to share about how their dog USED to be spastic and now is a perfect relaxed angel???I really need some sort of light at the end of the tunnel thing  ;D or is it >:(
Grace is not the perfect angel!!! but she has gotten her boundless energy out of the way.  :) 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 09:51:58 am »
Your dog is absolutly stunning! Be strong! It will get better!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)