Author Topic: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas  (Read 39875 times)

EllieAndBlu

Re: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 11:02:08 pm »
OMG - look at those paws! Spartan could be on his way to breaking a world record in Dobie size....lol

What a flippin' cutie... I love him!  :)

Here are a couple pics of my dobie/pit girl, she is currently tipping the scale at 71 pounds.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:05:54 pm by EllieAndBlu »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 02:40:08 am »
I agree, we need new pics so umm ..where are they? ;D

Offline MaryAndDobes

• Gnawer
  • Rory
    • View Profile
    • Glengate Reg'd
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2007, 10:36:14 am »
"12-14 is standard for Dobe's"

What's standard for responsible Doberman breeders is to crop them before they ever leave the breeder's home, and it is generally done around the age of 8-9 weeks.  Twelve to fourteen weeks is extremely late. 

I'd like to suggest for Doberman lovers to please spend some time on this site to learn about buying responsibly
http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm

The fact that this breeder didn't crop and is breeding oversized Dobermans are two big red flags.  The last thing you want is for a Doberman to be grossly oversized, leading to more hip, elbow, joint, cardiac problems, etc. 

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2007, 12:47:43 pm »
I am not a fan of cropping as a whole, and being that your boy is so obviously oversized, I wouldn't think you're thinking about the show ring for him, so wouldn't it be a moot point to put him through it?  Just like MaryAndDobe's said - 12 weeks is EXTREMELY late for a crop - 7-8 weeks is the norm with 9 or 10 being the absolute latest I've ever seen a vet want to do a crop (and most of the vets I've worked with wouldn't crop).

-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 06:27:25 am »
Sorry about no pics, my son is in California for two weeks with my digital!

Spartan is now almost 5 months old, and weighs 61 pounds. Just a flippin MOOSE, all paws and jaws!!   :D

A 40 lb bag of Nutro Large Breed puppy food lasted three weeks, and there is no "puppy fat" on this kid! My vets are guessing 100+ for him when he's grown, I just wonder how much the "plus" is gonna be!

To answer a few questions, the people we got him from aren't "breeders", they are friends with Dobermans and we have gotten both of ours from them. We got him at 6 weeks. We love Spartan, and don't care if he is "breed standard" or anything else. We cropped his ears because that is what we think a Doberman should look like, and it's our choice in this matter. The procedure was done under sedation, and he was sent home with 10 days supply of pain pills. Women and men do worse things to their bodies every day in the interest of appearance...   :D 

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 08:01:25 am »
Aww he is adorable the pic in your av any way.. HE  looks like my  Zeus hehehe but  Zeus is a rotti hehe  So  no  ear snipped on him lol.   BUt  he is adorable and   will be  probley  pretty handsome  with his ears done.  IS his tail  docked
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 10:14:21 pm »
Ugh you post and no pics, What's up with that? ;D :P
Glad to see your back though, I need a puppy fix in about 2 weeks!

Women and men do worse things to their bodies every day in the interest of appearance... 
I definitely agree with that. I love the crop/docked look and plan on doing it to my future dobies as well.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 02:24:02 am »
Here he is giving me his best "Kiss my butt" look.  :)

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 02:34:00 am »
Zeus is quite a handsome lad! My folks have a Rott, and they look like twins next to each other as far as markings!
  Yes his tail was docked at 2 days old, way before we ever met him! I love it, Dobies don't wag their tails, they wag their stubby at 100 mph and their whole body wags!! :D

This pic was a month ago and about 15 pounds...

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 03:38:51 am »
He's growing growing! He must have much more growing to do if his feet are still that big. Don't Dobermans when grown have like really small feet? :o

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 06:03:40 am »
Yes, their feet look small, only the tiptoes touch when they're standing up.

This is crappy quality (phone), but check the 4 1/2 month old out on a standard 7 foot leather couch!!

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 06:11:06 am »
He is  sure a beut. HE has such long legs..
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 06:11:40 am »
Hmm Maggie's feet aren't that small and her pads touch the ground? lol
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 06:45:36 am »
I've never seen one in person so I don't know, I was just going on memory from pics and I didn't think they had very large feet when they are grown. But I could be totally wrong. He definitely needs to grow into those some more though! lol

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 10:46:17 pm »
Hmm Maggie's feet aren't that small and her pads touch the ground? lol

I just cheked Dals's ... his feet are pretty big, but proportional to his body.  His whole paw pads touch the ground too.  I'm pretty sure Kiz & Kaiser's did as well.  :-\

No, no, no- I mean their paws look longer than they are when lying down, their feet are more "neat, bunched" appearance according to AKC when standing up...

Here is his paw at 7 weeks, it flexes at the black markings spot.

And yes, he still has plenty of catching up to the mitts he has NOW...