Author Topic: We lost our big girl to cancer! :(((((((  (Read 6114 times)

Offline biggirldogue

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
We lost our big girl to cancer! :(((((((
« on: April 13, 2007, 01:25:11 pm »
It's been two weeks since we had to make the dreadful decision to put our Ajna down.  She awoke with a swollen paw and 3 hours later they were telling me she should not go home because she was in a lot of pain.  She never told me!    And the cancer was missed on other visits.
My question here though is our other Dogue de Bordeaux is soooo depressed.  He is only 2 years old and he has been with us for a little over a year. 
His appetite for the last two weeks is non existant.  This is a dog that REALLY like his food.  And every night, during the night, he throws up. 
Has anyone experienced this?  I know things take time, and I am trying to spend extra quality time with him.
Please help my poor Samson and us!

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: We lost our big girl to cancer! :(((((((
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:39:44 pm »
completely normal!!! It's only been two weeks. Dogs grieve like people, at their own pace, unfortunately we cant explain to them what happened. So I would just keep up his regular routine and try giving him some chicken babyfood mixed in with his meals to encourage him to eat. If the vomiting continues, take him to a vet. But otherwise give him time. See if you can have a doggie playday with a friend too.

I am so sorry for your loss.  :'(
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:53:35 pm »
Hi biggirldogue.  I'm Misty and I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.  I agree with Brownis15.  Just give your guy extra attention.  Again, I'm really sorry for all of you. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:57:47 pm »
Could we have mmore pics of your guys? The avatar picture is adorable.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:01:33 am »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  :'(  You must miss her so much.  We lost Halley, our 3 y/o Pyr to bone cancer last year.  It was misdiagnosed by the vet twice as a foreign object in her paw.  They did surgery and ran two long courses of antibiotics, but no x-ray.  >:( :( We were new to town and this was our first visits to this vet, so finally I called Pyr Rescue to ask for advice.  I credit a wonderful woman at rescue for suggesting an x-ray.  I had Halley in the next day for the x-ray. It was bone cancer and already too late and she had only a slight limp and intermittant at that.  My experience is that these big paws don't always show any discomfort until it is too late.  I'm so sorry that you lost your Anja.  I hope that my Halley met your Anja with a big play bow.

Regarding your poor boy, Daisy, our Golden developed terrible vomiting & diarrhea the last month of Halley's life and for a few months after.  Despite a couple of months and lots of visits to the vet (new vet by then) for tests & meds, and a diet of rice and chicken baby food, the problems continued until the vet diagnosed either IBD or food allergies (he wasn't certain) and put her on a duck & potato kibble and she' been fine since.  One of our son's has severe food allergies that worsen when he's sick or stressed, so we've wondered if stress is what caused Daisy's problem to develop.  In the last 2 months we've adopted 2 new adult Pyrs and now Daisy can occasionally eat a treat (non duck & potato) and digest it ok.  The only thing that's changed is that she is happier now with her new siblings.  If you haven't, you might try taking him to the vet to check for giardia or other things that are treatable with meds.  Then if it continues, you may want to consider an allergy formula food like duck & potato or sweet potato and fish and see if he does better on it.  Also, all of our dogs love the duck and potato (dry as well as canned), so it seems to be very popular.  I'm sorry that this is so long, but we've been through something similar and I really sympathize.  Please give your boy a pet & a kiss from Daisy & I.  :-*  Also, if you stay on BPO I think that you'll find lots of comfort here...I know that I did.  ;) Please keep us posted.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 05:23:31 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about your girl.  You got great advice from everyone and I really don't have anything to add.  I hope Samson starts feeling better really soon.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience