Author Topic: invisible fences  (Read 12649 times)

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
invisible fences
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:25:13 pm »
Does anybody use an invisible fence with their big dogs? Are they an option? What do you think?
Bogie 9y.o Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot
Montague 1 year old St Bernard Puppy

All the while you have a dog you will be loved.

mama23+pyrs2

Re: invisible fences
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:56:03 pm »
Well I know with Pyrs, they don't work and I've heard from others they don't work on their big dogs either. Luckily we have a fence but my breeder warned me before I got my pups that they don't work on them. Their pain tolerance is too high so they keep getting zapped and get out anyway. The father of my pups would end up with a bloody neck but still cross it. But Pyrs are known to roam and it takes a lot to keep them in. I think a lot of bigger breeds have the same pain tolerance though.

Also, another way to look at it is that even if it does keep them in, it won't keep anyone or anything out and that could be dangerous, especially with a protective breed that sees anything that comes onto their property as a potential threat.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:35:35 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:26:11 pm »
I have 2 Pyrs and a Golden/Yellow Lab X and like Kristina, I would never try it with my Pyrs but personally I wouldn't risk it with my GoldenX or the dobie that we had years ago either. IMHO I would just be too worried that if something really enticing (squirrel, rabbit, etc.) caught my dog's eye on the other side of the invisible fence, that the dog would risk the pain to catch it and then keep on going. Also, we've seen bears and a wolf hybrid roaming our area, so I'd also be concerned about other animals coming into my dog's space.  I'm sure that there are people that have some first hand experience and maybe some is positive, so hopefully they'll post, too.  In any case, I think it is always a great idea to microchip & have current ID tags on your dog.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 03:59:33 am »
We have invisibly fencing for Harley and it works fine most of the time....I must also say I never leave Harley out alone for more than 5 10 minutes tops.

It is a concern that other dogs and animals can come into your yard; thankfully Harley wants to play with anyone and anything - but the big scary dog down the street wants to kill harley (meanie) and has wandered into our yard twice.

Also, Harley has broken thru the fence at least 2 times; again thankfully he just goes next door to play with his buddy Rusty.

So I would rate it at about a 70 out of 100 - but if you can't have a traditional fence it is better than nothing

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:05:35 am »
We have a conventional fence here for our guys, but one of our neighbors uses an invisible fence for their little dog.  (He looks like a gray Norwegian elkhound/akita type dog, but is small, about the size of a beagle.)  Anyway, they leave him out in the yard when they go to work, and several times he has shown up at our house while the owners are gone.  Recently, when we were going for a walk with my big guys, we heard this awful, blood curdling scream, and saw him charging down the hill toward the road, screaming all the way down.  All I could figure was that he got zapped crossing the fence line, but it wasn't enough to deter him from doing so.  Of course, since he got zapped while leaving the yard, he refused to go back in, and it was several hours before his owners got home, so he was running loose the whole time.  The last time I saw him, he had one rear quarter shaved, and a huge scar from apparent surgery- not sure what happened, would not be surprised if he had been hit by a car, but the owners still depend on the invisible fence thing while they are away.

Weedsport, NY

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:41:11 am »
We have a 5' chainlink fence and my newfoundland kept digging underneath it , so we also installed an anvisible fence to stop her ..... NOPE ! Didn't help one bit !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:58:24 pm »
Thank you everybody, my questions are answered. I don't think I will bother with the invisible fence. I have another question, if you don't mind? What does everybody do with their dogs while at work?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:11:58 pm »
crate.  definately.  whenever we leave we separate our 5 dogs in separate areas b/c of the chance that the may destroy something out of boredom, or worst eat something that could seriously hurt them.  another point on the electric fences, wouldn't it zap them when they try to go back IN the yard?  our old schnauzer (he died when i was in high school) would sit on the wire, the perv.  but once he got out the yard, it was horrible to get him back in it again.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 01:12:48 pm »
I'm lucky enough to stay home but whenever we go anywhere the pups get crated. Are you crate training at all? I'm ALL for it, I think it's the safest thing for your pup and your stuff! ;)

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:24:46 pm »
I have not crated, we are English and in England you just don't crate dogs. We have made a pen for Monty in one of the garages, it is carpeted and has sunlight coming in throught the windows. He has a bed, endless supply of water and a toy box.  This is working well, he naps out there even when we are home. Do you think this will continue to work when he gets adult.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 01:29:10 pm »
as long as it's sturdy enough, i would think it would work.  granted he may eat the carpet, or chew the toy box.  what materials are you using?  if you have chain link, he may be able to get his jaws stuck in the links eventually and possibly hurt himself.  very unlikely, but possible.  i'd say it'd work though, just watch what you have inside the enclosure, as well as what you make the enclosure out of.  try to make sure it's dog proof, because over time you'd want to choose things he wouldn't be able to chew off, break and eat, etc.  i'd love to see pics of it!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 01:34:37 pm »
Yeah I'd like to see pics too! I have a question though, if he always has water to drink, Does he soil his pen? I don't remember how old he is. I just know if my pups had access to water constantly they would need to go out ALL the time.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 01:36:36 pm »
Oh and mine are famous carpet chewers too, that would be the first thing to go.

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 01:48:05 pm »
There is part that is not carpet and I leave a puppy pad down for him if we are going to be gone a while. He is not a chewer, the carpet is still whole. My husband made the framework of 2x4s so it is very sturdy. I dream that one day I will be able to leave him in the house to keep the parrot company....... will that day ever come.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 02:59:48 pm »
We crated Gweck till he was 18 months old. I have to say I am a HUGE FAN of crating. While it may seem like a not so nice thing to do, if crate trained properly, dogs look at a crate as his/her den/safe zone. Gweck LOVED his and he still lays on a chair where it used to be. Sometimes I think I should take it out for him just so he has it cause he went in it ALL the time on his own. Not only did I love it cause it kept him from destroying stuff but it also kept him safe. There are plenty of hazardous things throughout homes that can be fatal to our pets such as medications, cleaning products, wires, loose change, even furniture if enough of it is eaten. I really think crate training is a responsible thing to do and if you don't have garage space to build a pen or a room that you can pet proof than you all dog owners  should consider it!

Good luck!!

Julie

I agree. I remember reading somewhere they likened it to leaving a baby or toddler alone in a house when you aren't there. It's the same with a young dog, if not worse!

They do grow to love their crates and it doesn't take long. All I have to say to Yukon is 'go to bed!' and in he goes, plops down like it's home. :)