Author Topic: New to the forum - Big Paw Lover and new Anatolian Shepherd Owner  (Read 7760 times)

Offline Tammy A.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hello!

I am a life-long dog lover.  My beautiful GSD, Rador, is ten years old and as playful as ever.  My boyfriend's Chow mix is also quite large.  Our newest family member is an Anatolian Shepherd puppy -- Woodyacres Cenk Koda.

Koda is 16 weeks old, weighs around 50 pounds, and is 22 inches tall.

Pictures to be posted soon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 02:39:25 pm by Tammy A. »

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: New to the forum - Big Paw Lover and new Anatolian Shepherd Owner
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
Welcome to B.P.'s! ;D  Anatolian Shepards are highly protective dogs if I remember correctly reading in my research...I found them to be a very interesting breed!...What else can you tell us about them?...My name is Chelle & this is my Pyr Samson...We live in Iowa & also let my husband, 2 skin kids, 8 cats, 2 bunnies, & a guinea pig live with us too...lol!...We have a soon to be addition coming...A little girl Pyr that Samson can't wait to play with!

Offline Tammy A.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:49:51 pm »
ASDs are much more protective, independent, and territorial than most Pyrs.  The owner of the place where we board our dogs during vacation -- CEDAR SHADE PET RESORT -- has a rescue Pry named Al. 

Koda is very social currently, but will get more protective with age.  With proper socialization and assuming the dog has a normal temperment, ASDs can become service dogs, therapy dogs, or companions.  Most ASDs do not tolerate strange dogs on their home turf, but may be more accepting of other dogs when out and about. 

I took Koda to the SPCA to be microchipped last week.  At 15 weeks, he was the best behaved dog there, hands-down.  He was calm, confident, friendly, acted appropriately with the other dogs.  He touched noses with a small Shibu Inu, showed no fear or aggression toward any other dogs (even those barknig at him), and mostly laid about watching the pandemonium around him. 

In contrast, if we are out walking and a dog barks at us, he will growl and bark back.  The ASD's protective instinct is hard-wired and, having been bred to guard flocks in Turkey without any human supervision, independent.  Thus, I'm aware that owners must be careful to avoid certain situations.  For example, I would never take Koda to a dog park or to the lake where dogs run off-leash.  What if a dog ran up to us, barking and growling?  When full-grown, Koda will most likely consider the dog a threat and act accordingly, despite my wishes. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 03:27:55 pm »
Thanks for the info. Tammy!...Samson is my 1st dog & I am amazed at all the breeds I never knew existed until I started researching & then joined B.P.'s!...I LOVE learning about all dogs!

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:07:47 pm »
here is my sisters Anatolian Asik...I just love love love te LGD's....It is true about the pyr being the softer of the lgds but they are still pretty serious when need be.  I can show you some ranch ones that would give you a run for your money...I would say the hardest of the LGD's is the CO...I am a notch below at the CAO  I like the Caucasian but not the coat...and they arent as an overall healthy breed as other LGD's

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 04:57:32 pm »
Welcome to the board tammy, you will love it here.  I don't know anything about the Anatolian, can't wait to see some pics of your baby, please don't keep us waiting too long.....lol

I am owned by 3 dogs, Ace, a 5 yr.old Doberman.  Sasha, a 1 yr.old Dobie/ Lab, and Tekke, a 4 month old Boston terrier/ValleyBulldog.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 05:09:33 pm »
Great pics of Asik Babs!...The LGD's really trip my trigger too!...But, I don't think Samson would give anything a run for it's money but possibly a stolen hotdog of off the picnic table...lol!...I kid though...I used to wonder what the heck is this sissy of a dog going to gaurd? :-\  Twice though I have seen Samson's gaurding instincts kick in full force...It wa slike he wasn't even thinking for himself but more on some primitive level..Once was at I'm pretty sure coyotes on the neighboring property that got too close for his liking...I had heard them yipping & yapping a bit earlier & once was at I don't know what the heck it was but it was dark in the yard & his warning growl & stance convinced me that we should hurry & go in...lol!

Offline Tammy A.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 05:25:49 pm »
I posted the pics!  None from this week yet.  Koda's going through a gangly stage!

ann

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 06:00:39 pm »

hi and welcome tammy i looked into the ASDs i love thier look .i'm i correct it is one of the newer breeds in the akc.........

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 06:04:40 pm »
Ann, I can't stop clicking...hel p.

ann

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 06:09:42 pm »

chelle your a wierdo and i say that with love in my hart...btw quit stalking me..

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 06:14:23 pm »
LOL!...I love you too that's why I stalk you PLUS you give me the good advise on pet food! ;D  I need you!...Call me? :-*  LOL!!!!

ann

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 06:40:15 pm »

chelle your kinda scary..i'd break-up with ya but i might need something from in the future...i'll call

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 08:14:14 pm »
Good girl!...LOL!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 08:31:00 pm »
Gypys,  Even the biggest baby pyr will turn it on when needed.  I did not think Rosie would even hurt a fly. One day a new UPS man came at me with the board to sign, I guess she did not like the way he did it. I had her  hooked to the post on the front porch rail.  She pulled a rail off and chased the guy into the truck.  I am still not sure why she did not like him, but if she did not like someone it was good enough for me.  I only saw her go into that frame of mind a few times, but I would not have wanted to be the bad guy when she did.

You have to post lots of photo of your two babies playing.  You life will then be 98% reading BPO and watching your babies play. If only we did not have to worry with that other 2% of life.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)