Author Topic: New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?  (Read 26225 times)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 07:39:36 am »
He looks about the size that Navarre was at 6 months.  Yes you are going to have a big boy!  He should stop gaining now and start getting longer/taller.  Do you have him on any supplements?  My vet just told me to be careful of the fast rate of growth because of hips, etc.  I'll have to find some pics of Navarre when he was younger and post them.

On the flip side, my new GSD pup is just now 5 months old and I don't even think she weighs 30lbs!  I've only had her 3 weeks and she's such a quick learner!  But she was in the shelter for about 5 weeks and I think she's probably had the runs for the last 2 months (which have finally cleared up, seriously like yesterday!!)!  Plus she's female and I think Navarre was part mutant!!!  I will just have to wait and see!

He is a GORGEOUS pup!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 08:43:15 am »
Thanks all.

No, I don't have him on any supplements. I've kept him lean, as best as I could. Most everyone that sees him says he looks too thin. I find when he's starting to look chunky, it means he's about to shoot upwards.

How large did Navarre get?
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2007, 09:07:11 am »
He was a steady 98lbs for a few years then after he was put on epi meds he went to 130lbs for the last three years.  I don't know how much of that was the meds or just his genetics!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 12:46:49 pm »
I wish there was somwhere where we could find a chart for all breeds. I've been looking for awhile now for Pyrs and have come up empy handed. I was and still and a little worried about Trippers weight. He looks great but I find he's a little small. His present weight is 32lbs and he's 15 weeks old. My other pyrs if memnory suits me right were bigger than that at his age. Anyone out there have and ideas on what his weight should be?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2007, 11:19:26 pm »
I wish there was somwhere where we could find a chart for all breeds. I've been looking for awhile now for Pyrs and have come up empy handed. I was and still and a little worried about Trippers weight. He looks great but I find he's a little small. His present weight is 32lbs and he's 15 weeks old. My other pyrs if memnory suits me right were bigger than that at his age. Anyone out there have and ideas on what his weight should be?

I've looked for the same and haven't been sucessful either. I think the difference in Pyrs is a big one, some turn out HUGE, some just big, and some smaller. If he's not boney or anything I wouldn't worry about him. He may end up being a smaller male or just hasn't hit a big growth spurt yet. If I remember correctly my male was about 45lbs at that age, and my female about 40lbs. They stayed within a consistent 5 lb difference up until about 5 months old, now he stays 10 lbs ahead of her. Who knows, but it will be interesting to see how they turn out. He has a much, much larger structure and is much taller eventhough he's only 10 lbs heavier.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 02:59:25 am »
theres just too much varriation to take into consideration to come out with a no-fail weight calculating system
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline love4pyrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2007, 03:48:18 am »
He's so cute.My big boy was 10 lbs at 1month and then gained 10 lbs every month until he reached 110lbs.He is probaly alittle over weight.If yours doesn't get overweight i would say he will probly be 80-95lbs.