Author Topic: Is it fair?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Is it fair?
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:17:49 am »
Someone my uncle knows is potentially giving up his 2 year old female Landseer.

I of course want this dog...hubby says it isn't fair to bring such a large dog into our home because we (hubby)  only allows the dog (Harley) on the first floor and basement of our house.  It is a LARGE kitchen and a decent size family room.  When I am awake this is where I am or the basement but Harley can go there with me.  Most of the time the kids are in these two rooms also.

We have a decent size yard about 1/3 of an acre; but we are having a in-ground pool put in so that will take some room; we do have a front yard also.

So people with large dogs (esp. newfs) what do you think?  Would a newfie be OK in such a small area?

Thanks for your help

Harley and Randy

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Is it fair?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:22:17 am »
I used to have A newf in the condo and he was just fine. Long walks and dog parks are a must but other then that...they are not too hyper and very very gentle!!! I love that breed!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:22:31 am »
Sorry I can't help with any info...but I think you should get the newf ;)  We will send positive dog wanting thoughts to your hubby ;)  ;D

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:32:36 am »
We have two newfies and a newfie/bc mix , our house is 1600 square feet but it's packed with other critters , furniture and TOYS .LOL And our yard is incredibly tiny , and our dogs only get to go on walks once a week and they do just fine ! Plus there are certain rooms our dogs aren't allowed in either and our dogs deal with it just fine , mine are velcro dogs but they don't make me feel overly guilty for not letting them in those rooms .
Ooooh I hope you can get this landseer !  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:00:02 am »
My husband and I live in a 2 story home that is less than 1,000 square feet with a tiny lil' backyard.  Lucy will be 10 months this week and she's perfectly fine with a long walk or a trip to the dog park.  She would probably appreciate a larger space for her 10 minutes of zoomies around the backyard everyday but other than that she's pretty happy wherever we are.

I hope this helps with your decision!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »
I have a major soft spot for Landseer's. Also, since she is 2 she will probably be losing some of the puppy energy soon.  I say go for it, too!  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:07:30 pm »
ha ha you can always send your hubby here.  we live on JUST shy of an acre, with a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, with a finished 2 car garage and FIVE dogs, 1 cat, a 72 gallon fish tank, 5 gallon tank, 2 1/2 gallon tank, and a soon to be 5 foot red tail boa.  not to mention two kids and me and hubby.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 12:12:06 pm »
julie i'm coming to steal your 125 gallon!  our fish are outgrowing our 72 too fast, not sure if we'll make it to jan (tax return) ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 01:18:38 pm »
We live in an 800 sq. ft. loft and Bear does just fine. He gets out lots but is completely content with his daily routine of city walks, park playtime, and belly rubs from mom & dad. Not to mention that he has his own couch and takes his dad's place in bed many nights.  ;D

Go for it! Bring home the Newf.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 02:20:47 am »
I hate to be the dissenting voice here...but, I will.

So, as far as space goes, I think you're fine. We've had multiple dogs in our 900 sq. foot apartment. They get out lots, go to the beach, go for walks, and we share a decent sized yard with our neighbor. It works.

BUT!

Something that I've learned is that if hubby isn't pleased with the situation...yo u could have 34987134982714 acres and a 90 room house, and it still won't be enough space! That's the part you want to deal with.

This is just my humble opinion, but I've learned that harmony with the hubby trumps my personal desire to have more dogs. And in exchange for not bringing in more dogs against Mark's will, I get a Newf pup in October! He has always maintained that we currently do not have enough space, but that he IS NOT against another dog. I've always fought that and disagreed. But after our last round of (challenging) fosters, I gave in. We're now on the hunt for a house and I've contacted a breeder that I like, and she has a litter due in October. Its a long time to wait, but its worth it, and Mark agrees.