Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 3717 times)

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Pet Insurance
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:14:05 pm »
What kind of dog insurance does everyone have? We are currently covered undet the AKC health insurance and one other that I can't remember right now. I just wanted to know what everyone's experience has been and which one was good since I am in the insurance business.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:25:41 pm »
We don't have pet insurance for either of our dogs at this time.  I am very interested in potentially getting it though (well, as soon as finances allow), so I will be interested in what others have to say...

For awhile, Cabo had a "wellness plan" at the vets at the local PetSmart (he had a vet that he loved that eventually began to work there, so when she moved, we moved with her!).  It deducted a certain amount out of your checking account per month...  I actually kind of liked that because it covered all of his office visits, all of his various tests, and one full physical exam per year, including teeth cleaning.  As he got older and kept having to go in for minor things, (and follow up visits from major things  :() having the visits and testing covered really helped out.  I think we got discounts on other things like shots, heartworm meds, etc. with it as well.

I also REALLY liked it cause it kept automatically coming out of my ex-husbands checking account after we seperated and he never noticed!  ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 04:32:49 pm »
We had that insurance through Petco for our Bichon but it didn't cover anything. She had bladder stones and a torn ACL and it didn't pay for either one so we ended up spending $4000 on the two surgeries. I hope what we have now is better.

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 05:08:43 pm »
I have thought about it, can anyone send me a link of their insurance. if it covers all of this 
We don't have pet insurance for either of our dogs at this time.  I am very interested in potentially getting it though (well, as soon as finances allow), so I will be interested in what others have to say...

For awhile, Cabo had a "wellness plan" at the vets at the local PetSmart (he had a vet that he loved that eventually began to work there, so when she moved, we moved with her!).  It deducted a certain amount out of your checking account per month...  I actually kind of liked that because it covered all of his office visits, all of his various tests, and one full physical exam per year, including teeth cleaning.  As he got older and kept having to go in for minor things, (and follow up visits from major things  :() having the visits and testing covered really helped out.  I think we got discounts on other things like shots, heartworm meds, etc. with it as well.

I also REALLY liked it cause it kept automatically coming out of my ex-husbands checking account after we seperated and he never noticed!  ;D

Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 06:59:39 pm »
Phillips, it was a while ago that I had it, but if I can dig up any useful info, I will post it for you...  Dunno if you will be able to get my ex to pay for it, though!   :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 07:29:34 pm »
We don't have insurance for Zoey. We spoke to the vet about it once, and we determined that it wouldn't cover basically anything that we wanted it to and wouldn't save us any more.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 08:38:48 pm »
We used to have VPI for Cowboy and the previous Newfs and found that, as your vet said, that it didn't pay for any of the really big ticket items:  diagnosis and surgery for a hip replacement for Otis, diagnosis and treatment of Cowboy's epilepsy, most of the side-effects of Lucille's reaction to her immunizations which eventually killed her.   They did pay a small portion of some of the emergency stuff that came up, but they seemed to always manage to attach it to a previous condition. The ER vet that I take my dogs to suggested just putting the monthly premiums in a seperate bank account and leave the insurance company out of it...so that's what we're doing!  (not in a bank account...just setting some aside in my "caring for newfs" file.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 09:07:00 pm »
Hello Everyone,

We also have VPI on our 3 Newfies.  On the other hand we have had great luck with VPI because it covered both 2 ACL surgeries on our kids, one on Madison & the other on Klondike.  The surgery was about $1300 and it covered almost $1200 on the ACL surgeries.  It also covers quite a bit on the Frontline and Heartguard meds once a year.  We have had VPI since the pups came home and they are now 2 1/2 yrs. old.  We had thought it was well worth for the ACL surgeries alone and when we got Kelso pup  last year, we got VPI on him too.  It costs about $26 per month per dog.  The first year I think the premium was a  bit more and then you can reduce it if you want.  They figure the first puppy year with shots and most amount of trips to the vet is higher. 

Now I am trying to think when they were spayed & neutered how much was covered.  I would have to look it up in my files. 

I think we have been lucky with VPI but, I do recall one incident when something came back not covered.  It depends on the Vet's wording sometimes too, so they re-submitted it and it was fine. 

Good luck with all your pups!  Let's hope that they all stay healthy & you don't have to worry about pet insurance.

Anita & the 3 Goofy Newfies from NJ