Author Topic: Ear Infection question  (Read 10531 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Infection question
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:32:07 pm »
You are so right on the willingness to treat issue.  Because Bo is so big & I am so millitant about her health, it seems that my vet is somewhat reluctant to "do what I say" because of ego (just my hunch).  However, I'm reluctant to start with a new vet when she's in pain becuase there's the trust issue for me-no relationship has been built & even though my vet is persnickety, I still am able to communicate with them.  I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if I can bring her in tomorrow or if they can give me something to treat her with.  It's not an ideal situation in any respect.  Thanks for the feedback, though!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 12:38:21 pm »
i know you love your dogs, there's no question about that, but.  if your vet is reluctant about doing everything he needs to do, are you sure that everything that can be done is being done?  we interview vets before we use them, and take our dogs to meet them before we even sign up for a check up.  that way, i can see how our dogs react to them and i can also get a feel for the vet.  we've managed to find some vets that our dogs wouldn't let within 20 ft without barking or growling and others that our dogs climbed right up in their laps giving kisses.  maybe if you go and meet with a few vets you can find one that you can trust, and your baby will get better treatment.  sometimes if the dog knows the people don't like dealing with them or are aggravated over working with them, it can cause unnecessary stress / nervousness and bad behavior when a person who loves the dog can do the same thing with little or no problems out of them.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 12:46:05 pm »
Point well taken.  Honestly, I have been considering switching for some time now, but since Bo's been doing well, I have been less than motivated.  The other thing is that there are few vets that practice with a somewhat holistic approach around here.  I am not saying that I need an entirely holistic vet, but my experience with treating Bo's various maladies is that she often responds better to herbal/natural remedies than the traditional ones.  For example, when she was suffering from chronic diarrhea, the vet had her on Flagyl for two weeks with not success.  I put her on slippery elm bark & switched her diet and we had solid poop in less than a week.  It might just be this vet (not sure), but I'd like to work with someone who has a open mind about pursuing natural remedies in conjunction with traditional medicine.  Just my two bits...

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 12:49:42 pm »
holistic vets are GREAT!  we're looking for one in our area right now, but can't find one.  we used a vet one time that when we hit the parking lot our dogs either pooped, peed, or barfed every time.  we switched, come to find out he didn't like big dogs and it stressed them out  :-\
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 01:49:48 pm »
We use a holistic vet and we love them. Harley loves going to the vet. She runs right in and says all her hello's, gives big kisses and everything. She was just at the vet yesterday for her titre test and check up. When we got in the room she flopped over to get some belly rubs. She never did that with our old vet. Changing vets was the best thing we ever did.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 02:32:22 pm »
Ok, so I made an appointment with my old vet (the one I was seeing prior to my current vet) because he was good and is now back from a 2 year sabbatical.  I told them what was going on & they're going to see Bo on Saturday and suggested that they might sedate her to properly treat her ears.  Finally-someone who is speaking some sense to me!!
 In the mean time, my current (soon to be old vet)  gave me some medicine to treat her & an ear wash.  Does anyone have any experience with Alocetic Ear Rinse and Mometamax?  Just curious...
Jenn

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 02:35:17 pm »
what great timing for him to get back!  keep us updated!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 02:35:31 pm »
I forgot to ask:  is there anything for pain relief for her?  Clearly her ear is painful, and I know she has a very high tolerance for pain, so for her to cry out when I was cleaning it makes me thing it's very uncomfortable for her.  Any suggestions?  

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 02:39:14 pm »
would aspirin help?  as per "dog dosages" search, Buffered Asprin -- 5mg/lb, every 12 hrs.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 06:28:47 am »
Okay.... so I looked at Ellie's and Blu's ears closely last night and seriously almost started to cry (I am such a dork) because their ears are hot, bright pink/reddish, inflamed and there are sores. And although my babies didn't complain at all, I can tell they suffering and uncomfortable. I feel sooooo badly! They are going to the vet at 4pm today.

Also - the drops prescribed are Tresaderm.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:29:49 am by EllieAndBlu »

Anakalia

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 07:50:52 am »
Awww poor babies! I hope the vet can get them on a better medicine, so they can get over that infection!  I'll be sending tons of healing vibes their way!  :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 08:34:30 am »
boy, that must be one killer ear infection  :'(  so sorry for them, and i do hope they put them on a better medicine (s) for it!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 09:01:27 am »
poor monkey's!!! I hope the vet fixes them, give them a get well kiss from me! :-* :-*
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 01:17:47 am »
would aspirin help?  as per "dog dosages" search, Buffered Asprin -- 5mg/lb, every 12 hrs.

Hi all I had to cover a few extra shifts( lot's of co-workers getting sick) I do not think an asprin should be given until seen by the Vet. Asprin is a blood thinner! the skin in the ears bleed very easy when irritated and inflamed let's not make it worse! Also it is not true to dose a giant breed dog as a human or a med - large breed for medications.Gi ant breeds have a lower tolerance for some medications than others. Give only what a DVM perscribes after they physically see your pets!
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 08:24:10 pm »
Bo is back from the vet...turns out that she has ear canal stenosis (narrowing) in her right ear.  Not sure what's causing it, but the vet had to sedate her to get to the root of the problem.  He cleaned her out & filled her ear with ointment.  He said that she also had a hot spot inside her ear!!  OUCH!!!  Anyway, the infection was minimal, so that's good...no oral antibiotics.  She's recovering from her hangover...boy was she LOOPY!!!  I've never seen a drunk dog before!  By the way, she's weighing in at 135lbs!!  Looks like someone needs to go on a diet!  I guess the salmon oil we've been giving her has been too good for her & plumped her up quite a bit! =)  I forgot to ask about pain relief when I was at the vet, but I appreciate the feedback about aspirin.  I'm just going to ride it out with her and hope that now that we know what the problem is, we can treat it.
=)