Author Topic: My new grandpuppy (kinda long)  (Read 7770 times)

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
My new grandpuppy (kinda long)
« on: March 06, 2007, 10:57:04 am »
I don't post much but lurk daily.  I just had to share this with people who would understand!

My daughter and son-in-law adopted a 10 week old Lab/golden mix from a kill shelter in Shreveport.  (They are away in LA at school.)  The day after they brought her home, she was sick.  Diarreah and a cough.  They took her to a local vet and he diagnosed stress tummy troubles from the change in environment and food.  He also charged them a fortune.  24 hours later, Molly was worse.  Lethargic and now vomiting to go along with everything else.  They took her to another vet (recommended by my dd co-workers) and Molly was diagnosed with Parvo.  They didn't give her much hope.  They started her on IV fluids and meds.  By the next afternoon, she was wagging her tail and barking a little.  After 3 days in the hospital she is home (with a bunch of meds) and being a typical puppy.  All that and this vet only charged them $160.00. We were shocked! There are still some kind people in this world.  The vet was pleasantly surprised at her recovery.

We are all so relieved after this rollercoaster.  I told my kids that they may need to remember this experience when Molly is being a terror - aka typical puppy.

Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

EllieAndBlu

Re: My new grandpuppy (kinda long)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:32:35 am »
awwww congratulation s  grandma!  :)
that face... LOVE that face of Molly's!
I am so glad she is feeling better and going to be okay!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:39:26 am by EllieAndBlu »

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:39:13 am »
Molly is absolutely adorable!!  I'm so glad she got the treatment she needed, what a fighter!  Parvo is very very scary stuff.  I'm really suprised the first vet didn't test her for parvo! 

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 11:44:50 am »
Shes very cute and I'm glad to hear she is feeling better.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 12:07:07 pm »
Definately a face worth saving ;)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:04:39 pm »
At least it all resulted in a happy ending. How tragic it would have been to lose a puppy you tried to save! It's great that she's recovered nicely from Parvo. I'm deathly afraid of Rosie getting it as I've heard it's quite lethal. But I'm so glad it wasn't in this case.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:14:55 pm »
They did notify the shelter and were told that if they bring the sick (or heaven forbid deceased) puppy in, they would receive their adoption fee back.  Gee thanks!  The vet said that there had been a lot of problems with that particular shelter and sick dogs - but they are still adopting.  And yes, parvo is HIGHLY contagious.  The kids were told that a new puppy can't be in that house for 2 years.  The virus will live in the soil for that long.  They had to get rid of the dog beds and toys and wash everything they could down with a bleach solution.
Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 04:49:17 pm »
Parvo is definatly VERY contagious- I had a fun bout of it while I was doing rescue- after years of never having an outbreak a sick puppy snuck by us and came into the kennel with Parvo, unfortunatly at the same time a sick kitten snuck by us with Calcivirus (similar to distemper, but more vampant and deadly) and I had a parvo/calci outbreak at the same time! We ended up with 32 sick kittens/cats and 8 sick puppies, but with ROUND THE CLOCK constant care we were able to save most of them.. We lost 1 puppy and 18 kittens (Calci is INCREDIBLY fast moving, they would be perfectly fine, then they would sneeze and within a few minutes be dead in some cases) I had SubQ and IV bags everywhere and I made all the volunteers change gloves and scrub covers before moving from each cage, and we scrubbed everything down with bleach on a daily basis. I dotn think I slept at all those two weeks, or if I did it was for like 15 minutes at a time

Afterwards, we treated the yard and kennels- this is absolutely possible, because she can still pick it up in the soil after she has been treated- what we did is I took a couple dozen gallons of bleach, loaded it in a pressure washer and bleached the entire backyard- it killed everything, including my grass- but no more parvo.

I really hope they complained about that vet. Thats unbelievable that he didnt test for parvo, especially if she had diarreah you can LOOK at diarreah and tell if its a parvo dog by the color. And with her coughing and just having come from the shelter? He should be fired over that, that's a no-brainer diagnosis. They should at least get their money back.

Shes adorable, glad to hear she made it!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:18:53 pm »
"if she had diarreah you can LOOK at diarreah and tell if its a parvo dog by the color."

How can you tell by the color?  What color would it be?
Salli, Annie's mama!