Author Topic: Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*  (Read 15918 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Spots *UPDATE*
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 09:23:43 am »
Well here's an update.

We went and bought some tripe for Harley gross but she loves it. And we got some hot spot powder called Miracle Dust. The stuff is amazing, her spot is almost all cleared up. It's not bright red anymore, there is still one little area that is oozing (sp??) So don't have to make a trip to the vet.
We think that her itching maybe food related. So we stopped feeding the Evo Redmeat and are feeding her the Reduced Fat Evo food that we have. She wouldn't eat it before but with the Salmon (Omega 3) oil she has been eating it. So hopefully this will clear up her skin issue. Finger crossed.  ;D

Thanks for all the advice.
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:39 am »
Oh hot spots.  YUCK and OUCH!!!!!  I'm super glad to hear that Harley is getting better and glad for you too.  I know how hard it is to have to care for those and it's never easy to see the pups uncomfortable.  Good news to hear all is getting better.   :D
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Anakalia

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 10:09:17 am »
I've never heard of Miracle Dust, but I'm so glad it's helping Harley!  I'll keep my fingers crossed she has no more skin issues, hopefully the food change will help!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 10:39:15 am »
I've never heard of Miracle Dust, but I'm so glad it's helping Harley!  I'll keep my fingers crossed she has no more skin issues, hopefully the food change will help!

Miracle Dust is made by the Urban Carivore
http://www.urbancarnivore.com/uc_online/pages.cfm?ID=26

They are a Canadian Company, I bought some of their Tripe too. It comes in patty form so it is less gross.  :D.

They have lots of natural products, and raw foods available. So if I want to feed some raw food all I have to do is go buy a box of the stuff  ;D Nice and convenient.  ;D
Oh and the dust can be used to stop bleeding if you cut the quick during nail trimming.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Spots *NOT GOOD UPDATE*
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 04:12:54 am »
OK so Harley is still itching like mad, to the point where she exhausted herself, she was over heating!  :'( And not her hot spots are on her front paws and her other back paw! I think that she is allergic to the carpet cleaner that I used, that coupled with swimming in the river at the dog park. So the first hot spot was almost healed until she started licking it again. She has socks on all her 4 paws along with hot spot powder. I am going to buy her some booties today. And buy some of the old carpet cleaner that I was using. I am also going to check the ingrediants in the evo food and see if there is anything different between the regular evo and the reduced fat. And I am going to call the vet take her in tomorrow. Or today if possible, I know she is in pain the poor girl.  :'(

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Anakalia

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 05:11:58 am »
Awww Harley!!  Jenn has got a GREAT idea with the Solarcaine, I love that stuff!  Hopefully she'll stop with the itchies soon, no fun at all!  Get better Harley!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 05:41:39 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Harley  :-[

I hadn't read the post before because I know absolutely nothing about hotspots and didn't think I could add anything  - but I just have to let Harley know that we are thinking of her !!

Feel better soon!!

Randy & Harley

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 05:53:40 am »
have you given her any anti allergy meds? That might help! I am so sorry she's in so much pain! :-[
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 06:30:43 am »
I gave her a benadryl yesterday to help with the itching. I just feel so helpless seeing her like this.  :'( I really think it is the carpet and she may have gotten something from the water when she went swimming. So we are going to get some advantage, that worked for her last year when she had the itchies after swimming. But I think the hot spots are from the carpet, when she came in she was still all wet so her paws would have absorbed what was in the carpet as well as her belly.
So I am going to clean the carpet with some hypo allergenic cleaner. Hopefully that will solve the problem.  :'(

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 06:49:21 am »
i hate that things aren't getting better!  axle has a reaction to some carpet stuff too, but his hair on his tummy / legs just falls out (awesome, huh?).  i can't imagine if he would get hot spots from it.  i sure hope things get better soon!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 11:09:23 am »
WOOHOO, Harley is going to seeour vet tomorrow morning. They are coming in early to see her. They are so wonderful!  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 07:28:49 am »
Well Tim took Harley into the vet. The clinic owner was the one to see her. He said it could be a reaction to the carpet cleaner and to her food. He said it is like she is having an allergic reaction to grains in her food. Tim told him we feed her no grain food. He said dry food, even if they say it is "grain Free" will have some type of grain in it!  :o I checked the evo ingrediants and Lecithin is in it which is a seed, therefore a grain. Orijen has psyllium seed and yeast extract (MOS) which looks like grain to me. Ugh how frustrating huh. So he gave us some sample Raw food and we are going to go get some from store that we got the tripe from and get some raw food patties (Urban Carnivore makes them). So raw we go, I'll have to read up it to know if we have to give supplements ect. Any advice would be appreciated.  :)
We also go some hotspot spray, some herbal medication, and she got an accupuncture treatment done. When he was poking her she was like what the heck, then she ate one of the needles!  :o He said she would be fine and pass it.
I am glad that she is fine, and will be feeling better soon by poor girl.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 08:28:33 am »
Well they spray is working wonders! Her back feet are almost all healed up. The front are doing better, she isn't licking them as much.

She is still itching, the vet did say that it could take 3/4 wks for the herbal medicine to fix that.

And WOOHOO she passed the accupuncture needle LOL  ::)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Anakalia

Re: Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 08:34:00 am »
I'm glad she's healing up so nicely!  AND I'm super glad she passed the needle, I would have been freakin' out! 

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 09:29:04 am »
I was so freaking out when Tim told me she ate the needle. But he said it was a really flimsy needle and the vet said it would float right through, no damage. The vet said she is the first to ever do that though. LOL leave it to Harley  ::)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)