Author Topic: Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*  (Read 15903 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:56:55 am »
I think that Harley may have a hot spot in between her toes, it is really red and kinda moist in there. I called the vet but they don't have any appointments available until May! But I can drop her off in the morning and pick her up at night, which I don't mind doing they love her there. But the earliest is Monday. In the mean time I don't know what to do. Any idea's?

Nina
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:29:13 am by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Spots
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:16:51 pm »
bump
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
i found this article, although i know sc trojans said not to use hydrocortisone cream.

1. Shave the area. The first treatment for hot spots is to dry them out and get air to the area. Hair loss is a feature of hot spots, but hair can also mat over the inflamed area, covering up a potentially much more severe and large problem.
   2. Cleanse the area with cool water and a gentle skin cleanser.
   3. Cool compress the area 2-4 times a day with a cool wet washcloth.
   4. Additional home remedies that can be used until you can see your vet:
          * tea bag compresses (black or green tea) to help dry the area out. Tea can be used as a wash or as a compress.
          * Domeboro's (Burow's) solution (aluminum acetate) - available over-the-counter at pharmacies to help dry the skin out. Can be used as a compress or as a spray.
          * Hydrocortisone creams - Some people advocate using a thin film of an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream. I would recommend talking to your vet first -- in general, creams and ointments only serve to "gunk up" the area and prevent proper drying if used incorrectly. Also, if the pet licks it, you want to make sure that it isn't toxic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:20:36 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:30:09 pm »
Thanks, I swear it came out of no where. We were just at the vet on Wednesday and then this morning I noticed in between her toes is all red. It's going to be some hard to shave in between her toes but I'll do my best.

I think it is because she has been really itchy lately, it is so dry here. So we have her on fish oil that we put in her food and the vet gave us some sulfur pills. Hopefully that will help but now we have this problem. Ugh.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:31:01 pm »
personally, i wouldn't shave it b/c i'd be scared to clip skin (i copied the article).  the tea bags do sound like an idea though!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:36:39 pm »
I personally wouldn't bother taking the dog to the vet. There are plenty on hanural remedies for hot spots! My breeder uses this "Peace and Kindness" stuff. She said it does wonders. Good luck!

http://www.needsndesires.com/canadastore/canchrisproducts.php
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:00:25 pm »
I'd rather treat her at home than make another trip to the vet, however this is my first hot spot and it is between her toes!  ::) I'll check out that website and make a trip after work to our feed store, they have a people/pet pharmacy there. I'm sure they'll have some great products that I can try. If it is not better by Monday/Tuesday then I'll take her to the vet.

Thanks
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 01:09:47 pm »
I'd rather treat her at home than make another trip to the vet, however this is my first hot spot and it is between her toes!  ::) I'll check out that website and make a trip after work to our feed store, they have a people/pet pharmacy there. I'm sure they'll have some great products that I can try. If it is not better by Monday/Tuesday then I'll take her to the vet.

Thanks
Nina
When my previous dog got his first hot spot I was freaking out. I can understand you! But, like st.trojan says Hot Spots are much bigger ussues then just spots. It means that the dog's ummine system is weak. So you have to work on supplementing dogs diet or changing it.
The Vet will try to give you an injection and antibiotics which might cure the spot temprorarely and that is not what you need. 
Keep us posted!
Mary W. Crane

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 01:23:43 pm »
I've also heard of people using Tea Tree Oil for the hot spots.  You have to get a higher quality oil but it's used as an antiseptic, anesthetic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, disinfectant, fungicide.  It can't be used on cats but it's safe for dogs. 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 01:40:13 pm »
Mary W. Crane

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 02:27:46 pm »
She's on Evo red meat diet, and now we've added salmon oil to her food. What else should I add to her diet? I'm thinking of switching to Orijen food. It is grain free and made here in Alberta. I think I may pick up some green tripe I heard that is really good for dogs and their immune systems. If anyone has some suggestions on other suppliments I am all ears. I really don't like seeing her all itchy  :'(

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 02:41:32 pm »
She's on Evo red meat diet, and now we've added salmon oil to her food. What else should I add to her diet? I'm thinking of switching to Orijen food. It is grain free and made here in Alberta. I think I may pick up some green tripe I heard that is really good for dogs and their immune systems. If anyone has some suggestions on other suppliments I am all ears. I really don't like seeing her all itchy  :'(

Nina
I have never heard of Orijen BUT I would consider adding raw meat to her diet. My friend's dog had some skin issues not that long ago and as soon as he switched to raw the dog is healthier then ever! Also, feed her some garlic daily. It's good for immune system!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 03:16:06 pm »

Thanks so much for all the advice! It is so dry here it is making Tim and I miserable! I think that we are going to buy a humidifier. And for the garlic how much do you give? We've given her tripe before and she loves the stuff, but that was a while ago, I am going to start giving it to her again.
I think that it maybe the red meat diet that is causing the skin issue, on the other evo food she never had this issue, that coupled with the dry air.... well it's a bad combo.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 06:01:31 pm »

Thanks so much for all the advice! It is so dry here it is making Tim and I miserable! I think that we are going to buy a humidifier. And for the garlic how much do you give? We've given her tripe before and she loves the stuff, but that was a while ago, I am going to start giving it to her again.
I think that it maybe the red meat diet that is causing the skin issue, on the other evo food she never had this issue, that coupled with the dry air.... well it's a bad combo.

Nina
2-3 cloves a day for 50-70 lb dog. Start slowly...There are some weird dogs out there who don't like garlic...like mine. Most dogs love it!!!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 08:37:39 am »
Thank for all the info, I'll be out shopping with Harley aka Princess LOL  ;D

Nina

Edit- I'll keep you all posted on her progress.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:38:20 am by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)