Author Topic: Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*  (Read 15854 times)

k2campbell

Re: Hot Spots * NEW UPDATE*
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 09:30:22 am »
Glad to hear Harley's on the mend and OMG - I would have SO freaked out too over the needle! ;) SO glad to hear she passed it though without any problems - whew!!!

Offline ketoby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 03:08:29 am »
I'm a little late reading this, but it caught my attention as my dog Toby got a "spring hot spot" for the second year in a row. I think he has some allergies related to things growing in the spring and he licks a spot bald on his "forearm".

I don't have any good ideas, my vet gave me an anti-itch/anti-inflammatory spray and I couple that with blocking access to the area (Toby has been wearing a modified shirt for the past week - the neighbors are starting to question us), therefore breaking the habit.

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to chime in was that I noticed a post about garlic. I'm no doctor or vet, so take this for what it is, but I just completed my master's (on Monday) and as part of that prepared a paper on the toxicity of common "table scraps" to dogs for my environmental toxicology class. It was interesting research, although I really only scratched the surface. Here's what to consider re: garlic...

Onions and garlic contain sulfur compounds that hydrolyze into thiosoulfinate s when chewed then decompose into disulfides. The short version is that these cause anemia. While there are not many reported cases of garlic toxicosis, garlic contains more disulfides on a mass basis than onions - it is simply thought that dogs have less access to quantities of garlic than they may have to onion. This "onion/garlic toxicosis" can be lethal without treatment.

Symptioms include pale mucous membranes, rapid respiration and heart rate, lethargy, and onion odor on breath. Vomiting and diarrhea may also develop. There are certain dogs with genetic predisposition to being more sensitive to these compounds. But, currently reports indicate that signs of toxicosis may be evident in dogs fed onions weighing more than 0.5% of their body weight. There's no dose related data (that I could find) relating to garlic, again because it is less often reported.

So, for a 60 lb dog, 5 oz of onion could be an issue (60 lb x 16 oz/lb x 0.005 = 4.8 oz). I don't know how much a clove of garlic weighs, but the reports I read suggest it would take even less garlic.

So, like I said, I'm not a vet or an MD. Just an engineer who wanted to research something interesting for my last scholarly project ever! I think dogs are much more interesting than most engineering subjects, right??? :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 04:09:56 am »
Yeah, a seed isn't the same thing as a grain.  Grains come from grasses.  Lecithin is typically derived from soy (a bean, not a grain), but it can also be derived from eggs.  Yeast isn't a grain, either.  It's a fungus.  Psyllium, on the other hand is a grain.

Good luck finding the source of the problem.  From all you've said, I still think the carpet cleaner is the culprit. 

Yeah I kinda figured the carpet cleaner was the source, I think she may have spring allergies too. But she also wasn't digesting the Evo very well, she is doing much better on raw food.
I'm not saying Evo is not a good food, my cat is on it and we've used it for over a year.
I just assumed that soy ect are all grains oopps LOL  :) Thanks for the correction, it's good to know what they are.  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 05:52:08 pm »
ooh i'm so sorry i was late in reading this too!!!  fumble has awful allergies and it comes out in ear infections and staph skin infection.  did this happen recently?? could be seasonal allergies too???  fumble gets the domboro treatment if it's bad, and then he uses this herbal stuff that is absorbed immeditately, ti's derma dream from halo... orrrr... we just started this holistic stuff called "clora clora" from a pet company in CA... i can't remember the name right now but if you're interested i can get you the info.  we found that none of the antibitoics really work, and just topical stuff or extra herbs and vitamins. 
I hope htat Harley is feeling bETteR!!! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »
Thanks,

Harley is feeling so much better, Her hot spots have almost all cleared up! She is still itching a bit but she is back to her normal self. The vet gave us some herbal powder that we put in her food, and that is for her skin. She has improved on it, although he did say that it can take up to 6 weeks for her to fully stop itching. I would love to know what you are using on fumble as this stuff cost $70.00 but this stuff also will boost her immune system. I don't want to us antibitotics as it causes liver damage. 
She loves the raw diet and is doing so well on it. The best thing is her stool is super small and doesn't smell!  ;D
Right now she is on turkey with bone and veggies in it and chicken with bone and veggies in it. She also gets green tripe and we are going to add organ meat too. I am also going to add some beef bone as well. But so far so good.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline dmcnaughton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 12:33:34 am »
Hi, I was just searching the net for info on allergies/hot spots for my dog and came across this forum.
We have an 11 month old labradoodle who started getting little 'pimply' bumps on his back and then red, oozy spots around Christmas. He licks and scratches quite a bit too.
We have had him in and out of the vet the last 5 months or so but it doesn't seem to help.
At first they had him on antibiotics and some other pill and it cleared it up for a few weeks but then he broke out again. The second time in the vet gave him antibiotics and steroid pills that caused him to lose control of his bladder...they said this is common on steroids?. The vet also had us switch to Medi-cal Hypo allergenic food (from Nutro)and started us on a monthly flee formula (cant remember brand). He broke out again a few weeks later so took him into vet and this time they gave him a shot...not sure what. But it didn't work at all.
Now he is really bad, big red oozy spots all over his groin, thighs and belly and itchy bumps on his back. I really dont want to go into the vet again...they just seem to pump him full of drugs that dont solve the problem.
I am in the process of switching his food to Orijen and have started adding salmon oil supplements. Also, bought a hot spot herbal spray (Canyon Meadows)so we'll see how it goes. Its only been 3 days so haven't noticed any major changes yet but keeping our fingers crossed.
The vet also suggested shaving him down for the summer so we may do that soon... :'(  I love his shaggy coat though.
Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendation s?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 12:48:55 am »
i'd shave him down, just so you could keep a better eye on it and it could air out some.  also, if you don't want so many medicines, look for a holistic vet in your area.  they'll go for more natural methods before they think about medicines. also, a new vet might know something your vet doesn't, and your vet may be treating it in the complete wrong way.  seems like something would have worked by now from the sounds of it.  so sorry your pup is going through this, it sounds AWFUL!  maybe you could post pictures of your baby so we could get a better idea what you mean is going on.  does it look anything like the pics in the link below?

http://www.nzymes.com/Testimonials/blizzard_cotton_itchy_skin_rash_chewing_feet_hair_loss.htm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:50:22 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:08 am »
Could be that he was allergic to his food. You should be good with Orijen as it is a grain free food. The main thing with healing hot spots is getting them to dry out. You don't need to shave him to get rid of the spots. The spray should work. We got a spray from our holistic vet and within a week all her feet have pretty much cleared up. I sprayed the effected area twice a day(not sure what the directions say for you). Also you can use benadryl or sulfer pills(which you can get for a holistic vet, not sure if stores sell them but they might) and that will relieve the itching. I think that you are doing the right thing with the food switch and with the spray all should be good. The spots should heal within 2 weeks and for the itching it can take up to 6 weeks. That is what my vet said for me.
Oh you may also want to add some tripe to the diet, it is great for the skin. Gross stuff but great.  ;D Don't worry I am sure he will be healed up in no time.

PS - Harley was allergic to her food too so I am just going by my experience.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline dmcnaughton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 03:35:34 am »
Thanks for your input. I went to the sight about nzymes and it actually could be yeast...never would have thought. He isn't nearly as bad as the pictures but the symptoms sound similar (smelly, face rubbing etc).
I've made him an appointment with a holistic/western vet (they say they do a combo of both beacuse in some cases modern medical procedures are required) for Friday. So hopefully she can help him. They asked what I was feeding etc and when said I was switching to Orijen she said it is a very good food but it contains chicken and a lot of dogs are allergic to chicken...
Anyway, I will try to post pictures of Cache for you to see.

Thanks again

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 03:44:44 am »
If it is the chicken then Innova Evo (also grain free) has a red meat diet. But I think that it might have been the grain in the other food that was causing the problem. Oh and from reading up on skin issues with Labs, they are prone to yeast alleries ect. But usually with a change in diet it clears up.
Good luck with the new vet. I look at the name of the powder that our vet gave us (it's for her itchy skin) it has worked wonders. She hardley ever scratches anymore.

Nina

Edit to add- We have to see some pictures of Cache! We love pictures here. Added one of Harley(Lab mix)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 03:49:11 am by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline dmcnaughton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 04:30:10 am »
Just an update on Cache...we took him in to the new vet on Friday and she was great. Very attentive but very expensive  :-\. Turns out it is yeast, quite a bit apparently with some bacteria. She said it could be from anything...the shampoo the groomer was using to allergies.
She said the Orijen food is excellent and is actually going to bring it into their practice, her only concern with it is if it is baked or dried? We have to keep him on a strict grain free diet and only chicken protein for now. We are adding salmon oil to his food and a probiotic to help clear up the yeast. She also gave us a shampoo with benzoyl to use once a week for the next 3 weeks and then a topical spray and some ears drops as the yeast was causing an ear infection as well. It seems to be clearing up but no great results as of yet. I guess it will take a few weeks though.
I tried to attach a picture but it keeps telling me the attachment file is too large. Sorry.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 05:37:50 am »
It's great that you are getting some answers.  Our first pyr (17 yrs ago now) had problems with ear infections and hot spots.  We went from vet to vet and no one really could figure out what caused them back then.  One vet thought that she as allergic to wheat, so we gave her wheat-free food.  That helped, but she still had problems.  We were told to irrigate and clean her ears with a special solution.  We did that and they improved, but she still occasionally had issues.  The hot spots we learned to treat fast (like the very first time we saw her start to bite at a spot) and we kept them under control, with fewer problems.  I so wish that we'd had a vet back then that could have gotten to the bottom of it so that she would have never had any problems with them, not just less often.  You're doing a great job for Cache!!!  :)  Keep us posted.  I'd love to know more about this in case one of our pack now ever develops them.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees