Author Topic: new Newfy pup  (Read 4524 times)

Offline peanut

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
new Newfy pup
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:25:18 pm »
HI,
I'm new to the site, and hoping to get some advise.  I have a 8 week old Newf (pure bred).  He seemed to be doing great the first few days home but today is sleeping all day long.  He is eating and drinking (not eating as much as normal, but still managed almost 2 cups of kibble).  The kids were playing with him yesterday so perhaps he's catching up on his sleep.  Any ideas?  In other words, should I be worried.

Brand New Newfy Mom

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: new Newfy pup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:37:35 pm »
Puppies, especially BIG puppies, are like babies.  They sleep A LOT!!  As long as he seems to be normal otherwise, eating, drinking and using the bathroom, I would chalk it up to puppyhood.  Tonka would have energy bursts, "zoomies", as a puppy, but he would (and still will) sleep 19 hours out of a 24 hour day.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:49:27 pm »
welcome!!1 Yey, its probably puppyhood, lol enjoy it now while it lasts!! My GSD pup came home at 8 weeks and his activity level has doubled in three weeks!! Most pups will sleep a lot, and if they get worn out one day, the next day they may sleep twice as much!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline peanut

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:11:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  He actually managed to do a few romps around the back yard...Now he's all tired out again.  Guess the kids wore him out yesterday.
Looking forward to being part of this community.

Thanks!!!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:46:34 am »
Welcome! Sounds perfectly normal to me too! My Pyrs are 4 months old and still sleep ALL day long, and all night too, lol. They have 10 minutes of hard play max and then it's time to rest again. I don't know how active adult Newfs are but Pyrs aren't, so I expect this much activity to just slack off as they mature haha.

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:53:56 pm »
Welcome and congrats! Please share pictures at some point. What is your pups name? Rudder our 1 year old STILL sleeps a ton. It is just the big dog way. Don't forget that they grow so fast, that they need their rest. Good luck!
Rudder's mom

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:11:53 pm »
i don't have a newfy, but i do have two giant paws.  axle i've had since he was 9wks old, and he slept ALL the time.  as a matter of fact, he used to sleep the whole 9 hour drive (starting at 12 weeks) without a peep when i traveled back and forth from NC to MS every few weeks when hubby deployed a lot.  he still does sleep a lot at 4 years old now.  diesel, our dane, is 1 next month and is the same way.  he sleeps unless you wake him up for something interesting!  i went to the vet a lot with axle because of random things, and always brought up the sleeping.  i was told every time it was normal, and just because the fast rate he was growing at.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:57:17 pm »
If you've never had a Newf before, you'll quickly realize that as a big dog, it very much enjoys its sleep. As older puppies and teenagers, they tend to be slightly more energetic. But as puberty passes, they'll start sleeping most of the day away. Our 4 year-old enjoys walks and swimming, but after a good long walk or a few bumper fetches in the lake, she hits the sack REALLY quick.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 08:13:47 pm »
As others have stated this is normal.  I have had giants for 20 years and this is very typical.  My four month old Mastiff puppy eating and sleepig is very dependant on the amount of energy expended the day prior. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet