Author Topic: Been MIA - Anna update  (Read 2978 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Been MIA - Anna update
« on: April 22, 2007, 03:43:36 pm »
Wow!  Lots of changes to the board!  I got myself locked out from the board but thankfully Michael the Wizard got me back on today!  Thanks Michael!

So...we've had an eventful few weeks with Miss Anna Banana!  She went into heat for the third time since joining our family in October 2006.  We met with the vet, weighed out the risks, and decided to go forth with the spay while she was entering heat.  She had her surgery on Monday and seems to be recovering just fine.  We sent her uterus away for testing as there were some suspicious bumps on it.  Came back on Friday - nothing to worry about but she had an extremely overactive uterus and would have been in almost constant heat had we not proceeded with the surgery when we did.

She has been exhibiting some unusual behaviour since the spay - the biggest of which is wanting to stay in her crate all the time.  She will whine to go down into the basement to the crate, runs when the door to downstairs opens, and then burrows in her crate almost as if she's nesting.  She has taken every single toy in there with her, and has taken to carrying HUGE balls around in her mouth.  I'll have to get a picture to show you cuz it's too cute.  Anyhow, I'm chalking it all up to hormones and figuring she'll come around.

Now...I have to go get caught up on everyone's news!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Been MIA - Anna update
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:39:47 pm »
Poor Anna having an overactive uterus!  That doesn't sound remotely fun.  Welcome back to the board.  I hope Anna feels like her old self soon well without the mood swings, bloating, and cramping.   :D
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:23:17 pm »
Awwww! Tell poor Anna that its okay, I act a little unusual when I'm hormonal too. ;)

Jenn do you have an over active uterus too???? Cause we all know that you are kinda.... ummmm.... errr.... Unusual most of the time..

Awwww Poor Anna... I sure hope that she gets to feeling better.  We really need pics of the girl.

Carrie
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »
It could be the hormones, but my pup merlin acted odd for 2 weeks after his surgery, and then one day i came home na dhe was back! She is super cute!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:39:00 am »
Good to see you on the board Sandy - you've been missed!

So glad Anna's surgery went well.. Once those hormomes settle down she will be back to her old self... in the meantime hope we can see some pics of your girl carrying big balls around in her mouth... sounds totally cute!  :)

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:45:16 am »
Awww poor Anna!  I'm glad you went ahead with the surgery, she'll feel much better not being in heat all the time!  I'm sure her hormones will settle down in a bit and she'll be back to her normal self! 

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:25:11 am »
Well we are sending lots of quick recovery vibes to Miss Anna Banana.  Glad to see you guys back.   
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:47:32 pm »
Thanks everyone! We're glad to be back!  She's still nesting down in her crate, but her appetite is back, and she's stopped with the peeing and digging.  My husband doesn't get it, but then again, try to explain a hot flash to a man eh? 

One thing that was kind of concerning tonight is there were some blood stains on the kitchen floor that look like they're coming from her rectum area.  I checked her out pretty carefully (yes, I had my face down in a Newf's woo hoo tonight....oh the life I lead....) and couldn't see anything except maybe one of her little moley things that might have been bleeding.  If there's more in the morning, I'll have to take her to the vet again.  Sheesh.  This dog just loves going to the clinic to get the loving I think!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Cimone101

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:01:19 am »
We had a similar situation happen to our Sydney (who is now 14 years old!!!) She still carries around her "babies" and kneads and "nurses" them.. IOW, she sucks on them while smooshing her paws like a cat. It all started after she had a false pregnancy and was fixed right after. Hopefully the nervous behavior will go away for Anna. Best of Luck!