Author Topic: Hi im new and about to get my newfie puppy  (Read 4315 times)

Offline newmommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Hi im new and about to get my newfie puppy
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:01 am »
HI. Im new here and very excited to have found this board. I am getting my newfie puppy on thursday she is 12 weeks. I cannot wait. Im not sleeping at night Im so excited.
Is there any advice I need to know?

I have other dogs so I know what I need to have for her arrival but I have never been owned by a newfie before. the breed just fascintates me and I cannot wait to cuddle her!!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi im new and about to get my newfie puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:17:15 pm »
Hello newmommy and welcome to BPO.  I'm Misty owned by Gracie (English Mastiff) and we love it here.  There are a lot of Newfies here so you will get TONS of great advice.  It sounds to me like you pretty much have all the basics covered but you forgot one thing.  PICTURES!!!!!  :D  Again welcome and I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:39:36 pm »
Awwww congrats on your upcoming new addition!  I can't wait to see pics, newfie pups are adorable!  I agree with Jenn rest up now! hahaha Welcome to the group!  ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:51:54 pm »
congrads!  if your dogs are older (adults) make sure your house is still puppy proofed!  cables, wires, cleaners, etc.  you know the drill!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:21 pm »
Oh yey! Welcome and we are all excited for you! Cant wait to see pictures!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline peanut

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:53:50 am »
you will love your newfy pup.  I just got mine 1 week ago, at 8 weeks, and he is awesome.  I can't believe that so far there have been no accidents in the house.  He actually give great signs that he needs to go.  Yes...be sure to puppy proof as it  will be into everything.  They are adorable and so affectionate.  Keep us updated.

Offline newmommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 03:10:55 am »
i will post pics as soon as I get her thanks for all your kind words

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 03:32:06 am »
Congratulasimp le: love, love, love your puppy to death and make sure that they know what is expected of them from day 1. I can't wait to see pics.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:18:17 am »
Hey!  Congratulation s!  I just got my little Sierra on April 4 - my first Newf also.  She's beautiful and a handful.  Not sure if these are "Newfie things" or "Sierra things", but this has been my experiences over the past 4 weeks.  Provide plenty of chew toys!!!  Begin teaching the meaning of No immediately.  Don't be overly worried of having a clean house.  Be prepared to get sassed back when you reprimand.  Be prepared to have a bundle of black fur trying to get in your lap when you sit down.  Be prepared for fast growth.  My girl has gained 14 lbs and 2.5 inches in height since we brought her home.  Most important of all, provide lots of love and attention.  There is nothing these dogs want more than to please you.

Enjoy your baby.  I'm enjoying mine!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer