Author Topic: Question about hygroma  (Read 2197 times)

Offline millpark26

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Question about hygroma
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:41 am »
I noticed a lump on the back of Oliver's front-left elbow recently. It's semi-soft, movable and about the size of a small egg. I don't believe it could be a fatty lipoma because personally, I have several and Oliver's lump is a bit squishier. Searching the net, I found several references to hygromas.

When I had him at the Vet this afternoon, I asked them to take a look at it. The Vet said it could be one but she wanted to aspirate it to see what we're dealing with. However, any time I've read about them, people were strongly advised NOT to let the Vet drain it because you run a good risk of introducing infection via the needle and if they get infected, they're a nightmare to deal with.

Oliver is 15 months old and has always flopped down hard on surfaces, hard or soft, but we try to keep him on soft surfaces as much as possible.

The Vet said she's only ever seen hygromas in older dogs, not young ones, and they usually don't have hair covering them.

So, since I was hesitant to let her aspirate it, she said for me to keep an eye on it.

Now, being the worry-wart that I am, I'm wondering if I did the right thing?

Anyone else have experience with a possible hygroma?

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Question about hygroma
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:22:49 pm »
http://www.dogleggs.com/files/hygroma.cfm

Goi to the above sight and check out what they have to say.  They sell awesome products desgned fo common ailments for largebreed dogs.  My beloved 12 year Dane has a lick granuloma and there "Hock Sock" has done a great job mimimizing the issue.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet