Author Topic: Help! Wierdly thin coat problems!  (Read 1862 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Help! Wierdly thin coat problems!
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:34:12 pm »
I know that the topic of food allergies has been discussed a lot on here...but I am looking for a specific plan of action!

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Winston's coat was looking a bit thinner...I thought maybe it was because of the furminator (I only used it once), blowing his coat, etc.  But, today, I was grooming him, and he's lost almost all of his undercoat (except for around his chest, neck, and head) and his coat is SOOO thin!  I could see his skin and outline of his shoulder bone when the light hit it right! OMIGOSH!!! 

I feed him Canidae right now.  What would be the best food to switch him to if this is because of an allergic reaction? 

Thanks!!!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Wierdly thin coat problems!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:28:16 am »
Honestly it does not sound like a food allergy to me. I would have him checked out also.

If it is a food allergy Canidae sells 2 single protein/single Carb foods Chicken & Rice and Lamb & Rice.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: Help! Wierdly thin coat problems!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:53:27 am »
Our newfie just had that problem.  She was allergic to the dried egg in the dog food.  Very specific.  She was losing hair like crazy, and not just all the undercoat but some of the top coat too.  Then she was biting hair off.  Now that she had been on ACANAs Lamb and Rice to start (to find the allergy)we thought it was shampoo at first,  we then just switched to Origen and she is all better, no hair loss, even the undercoat is growing back.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com