Author Topic: Adding raw question  (Read 2810 times)

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
Adding raw question
« on: April 27, 2007, 10:42:13 am »
Okay, like many this recall thing has me freaked out.  We feed kibble only in the morning but add 1/3 can to each bowl (3 dogs) for their evening meal.  We have been feeding Chicken Soup Adult but now that their puppy and kitten canned have been recalled I am thinking of just adding some raw meat and veggies to their evening kibble. (And changing kibble.)  The question is what to add, how much and should I grind it.  I have never fed my dogs anything raw before and don't want any problems with bones splintering and getting lodged somewhere.  Thanks!
Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Adding raw question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:56:33 am »
i'm not to a guru about raw feeding, but i've heard not to mix kibble and raw meat in the same meal b/c it lowers the ph in the tummy and so the tummy won't be able to kill all the bacteria from the raw meat.  also, raw bones don't splinter nearly as easily as cooked bones.  i'm sure others will have tons of info for you though!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 10:57:03 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
Re: Adding raw question
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:10:29 am »
While some say not to feed both kibble and raw, as long as you do so at different meals, it's fine. Many dogs can and do eat kibble AND raw. Most dogs that get diarrhea when switching to raw (detox), will get it irregardless if they are fed kibble or raw at the same time, or go cold turkey.  I know people who feed kibble at breakfast and raw at night.

As for the grinding- there is no need!  That's the wonder of RMB's (raw meaty bones).  They satisfy the natural urges to chew, provide much needed nutrients and clean teeth at the same time. This week Lucian is having chicken quarters at dinner. You can feed any kind of meat- chicken, beef, fish, lamb,turkey, rabbit etc... Here is a good calculator to help you figure out amounts. http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et