Author Topic: eating dirt  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
eating dirt
« on: April 27, 2007, 03:51:26 pm »
Tonka, I have noticed recently, has started eating dirt.  I cannot for the life of me figure this out.  Anyone know if this is normal, a deficiency, why?  and what do I do about it?
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: eating dirt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 02:28:14 am »
Is Tonka digging at the dirt and then eating little bits of it or giant dirt clods?  Mine will dig up the grubs under the grass and eat them plus just lay in the yard and lick the dirt.  I had one dog that would chew on rocks, dirt clods, anything really.  He was just looking for something to play with but preferred the dirt and rocks to the toys I bought him. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 02:41:42 am »
Grace did that when she was younger.  now she just picks up things on the ground and brings them home so proud of her find.  (mostly bark chips).  she paws at dirt and uncovers god knows what then rolls in it. 
unless it's making him sick...i don't think eating dirt will hurt him.  just be careful of those soil based bacteria...whe n he gets that in his tummy WATCH OUT.  Grace gets that and the poop never ends.  of course Rotts have a more sensitive GI system than other breeds.  but just remember that soil based bacteria can be a night mare.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 03:53:46 am »
Thanks guys!  He digs and then starts munching on clods of dirt!  It is just really gross. 
I am kind of a big deal!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:06:38 am »
Thanks guys!  He digs and then starts munching on clods of dirt!  It is just really gross. 
maybe he thinks it's good...and what we munch on is gross.  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 07:06:59 am by Lin »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 11:30:16 am »
maybe he thinks it's good...and what we munch on is gross.  :)
LOL!  That's a possibility!  :D
I am kind of a big deal!