Author Topic: Rufus's eyes remain red after treatment...what to do?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Rufus 10536

• Gnawer
  • Rufus the Goofus Labradoodle
    • View Profile
Rufus's eyes remain red after treatment...what to do?
« on: April 28, 2007, 05:21:29 am »

Ever since we adopted Rufus (2 months ago), the lower whites of his eyes have been red.  My vet, who I like and trust a lot, has recommended two ointments as treatment, both of which I've used (the lastest being VetropolycinHC, triple-antibiotic combo (bacitracin-neomycin-polymyxin  with 1% hydrocortisone) 3 x a day for the last five days.  Even after the latest, his eyes are still red off and on, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. 

At first I thought it was an infection (he was tested for any irritations), and as the trees have started to bud, thought allergies...

Anyone else had this issue?  THANK YOU,

Robin (and Rufie)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Rufus's eyes remain red after treatment...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 05:28:59 am »
here's a website that talks about some of the tests that can be done to find out what exactly is causing the problem.  it also says you can get eye lubricants.  maybe those could help?  kind of like visine, but for dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/red-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

i'll keep looking for stuff, if you can get a pic it would help a lot, as i can then compare and contrast them to pet medical pages.  here's another site that goes through a gazillion causes for red eyes that you may want to look over.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/eye-problems.aspx
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 05:33:24 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 06:01:53 am »
Not knowing your situation completely I can only offer my experience.

My puppy has droopy lower lids so he is prone to getting dirt and other irritants in his eyes that also are not flushed out easily, naturally.  I use Visine and it's really helped.  He's grown into his droopiness a bit so I don't have to do it as often.  My vet recommended the eyedrops.

Offline Rufus 10536

• Gnawer
  • Rufus the Goofus Labradoodle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:36:03 am »
thank you so much for the website info...

Robin

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:34:46 am »
I def think it could be allergies! Merlin gets the same thing, and he tears a lot more.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon