Author Topic: Housbreaking tips  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Housbreaking tips
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:51:03 am »
Hi everybody!

I've had my Newfie pup, Sierra, for about 5 weeks now and she is STILL not housebroken!  When we take her outside, she knows exactly why she's there and what she is supposed to do, she just doesn't seem to understand that she is NOT supposed to do it in the house!  Sh is not giving any signs that she needs to go out that we can see - she just squats in the middle of walking through the house.  I'm trying something new where whenever she barks I take her outside hoping she'll start associating the two and bark when she wants to go out...but that won't really work unless she starts understanding that she's only supposd to go potty outside...

This is the only hurdle she needs to get over.  She is a very well-behaved puppy other than this.

Any suggestions????
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Housbreaking tips
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 04:03:54 am »
Can't believe I forgot to give that info!  LOL!  She is 14 weeks old.  She is in a crate at night and when we are not home.  She is able to hold it overnight as long as she is taken out around 10:30-11:00 at night to poo and she goes out immediately in the morning around 7:00 am.  When I am home I take her out every 45 min or so to pee and about 30 min after she eats to poo.  My husband is usually home with her during the day and he says he only takes her out every 2-3 hours and no accidents.  We keep her in the room with us and don't really let her wander the house on her own yet.  She pees a lot, sometimes up to 4 times each outing.  I just don't know how to make her understand that she has to let us know she has to go out.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 04:33:45 am »
Can't believe I forgot to give that info!  LOL!  She is 14 weeks old.  She is in a crate at night and when we are not home.  She is able to hold it overnight as long as she is taken out around 10:30-11:00 at night to poo and she goes out immediately in the morning around 7:00 am.  When I am home I take her out every 45 min or so to pee and about 30 min after she eats to poo.  My husband is usually home with her during the day and he says he only takes her out every 2-3 hours and no accidents.  We keep her in the room with us and don't really let her wander the house on her own yet.  She pees a lot, sometimes up to 4 times each outing.  I just don't know how to make her understand that she has to let us know she has to go out.
She is still very young. Most of the dogs don't get housebroken at this age. Give her sometime and hang in there. Our pup started showing signs after a week BUT could not be trusted until she turned 6 months. We were watching her like hawks for months, LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:45:11 am »
The biggest thing, in my experience is catching them in the act.  This means never letting her out of your sight.  When you see her start to squat, a very loud "No!  No!  No!" accompanied by a trip outside seems to get the point across fairly quickly.

So should I stop taking her out so often and let her get to the point where she might go inside in order to catch her in the act?  I understand why you are suggesting that, it just seems a litte counter-productive...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:06:29 am »
My philosophy about housebreaking is that prevention is the best possible thing you can do.  With Lucian (who is 12 weeks old and now pretty good on the no-accident front) we get up, take him out right away (he is not crated at night, but is in our bedroom).  He is then fed and then back outside right after and one more time about 30 minutes after that.  He's crated while we're gone and has never had an accident.  Then once we are home for the afternoon he is taken out whenever: he plays for a good deal of time, has a long drink, chews on a toy (chewing stimulates the digestive tract), wakes up from a nap, or has another meal.  His water is taken up at 6:30 or 7 (as long as we don't forget) and accidents are pretty much ignored (unless I catch him and can easily run the peeing monster outside).  In my opinion, if he has an accident, it's because we're not watching him close enough.  Tons of positive reinforcement when he does go in the right spot.  It's to the point where he runs to the door to go out and won't go INSIDE if he has to do something!  It's the constant reinforcement.

This is only my experience, but it's worked well with all the dogs who have been in my life and is the advice I give to my clients.
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 05:34:29 am »
My philosophy about housebreaking is that prevention is the best possible thing you can do.  With Lucian (who is 12 weeks old and now pretty good on the no-accident front) we get up, take him out right away (he is not crated at night, but is in our bedroom).  He is then fed and then back outside right after and one more time about 30 minutes after that.  He's crated while we're gone and has never had an accident.  Then once we are home for the afternoon he is taken out whenever: he plays for a good deal of time, has a long drink, chews on a toy (chewing stimulates the digestive tract), wakes up from a nap, or has another meal.  His water is taken up at 6:30 or 7 (as long as we don't forget) and accidents are pretty much ignored (unless I catch him and can easily run the peeing monster outside).  In my opinion, if he has an accident, it's because we're not watching him close enough.  Tons of positive reinforcement when he does go in the right spot.  It's to the point where he runs to the door to go out and won't go INSIDE if he has to do something!  It's the constant reinforcement.

This is only my experience, but it's worked well with all the dogs who have been in my life and is the advice I give to my clients.

This is what we've always done also, and it's worked well for us so far.  Our basic idea has always been that the pups or dogs really want to please us lowly humans.  :)  So if we can help them to avoid having "accidents" in the house and then praise them to the skies when they go potty outside, then they get positive reinforcement for going potty in the correct place.  It may take a little while still, she's very young, but I'm sure that she'll get it soon. ;) BTW, can we see some new pics of Miss Sierra?  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:01:20 am »
I agree with everyone else on watching like a hawk and going outside constantly.  I will say that with Kaila I got some of the puppy pee pads and those helped tremendously when she was tiny and I was at work.  There are ones that smell like grass (yes, I smelled them pre-pee to see if they really did smell like grass) and she would use those.  Even if I got distracted doing something and missed her oh so subtle signs she would go find the pad and use them.  It also helped that I had a pad or two in each room of the house.  Of course, she's the same puppy that watched the cats use the litter box and she crawled in it and used it before she outgrew the litter box.  Hope that helps some.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 01:16:21 am »

We are also taking up her food after she eats at 6:30 pm and limiting water. 

I think I may have posted this thread a little prematurely... she tried to get over the doorway barrier and kept turning around to bark at us and when I went to take he out, she beat me to the door and then went as soon as I let her out.  This morning she also went directly to the door when I let her out of her crate.

Do I dare be hopeful that she's finally starting to understand?  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 01:19:35 am »
Awww I am glad that she is getting it.

Nina

Edit because I can't spell  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:56:54 am by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 01:56:18 am »
BTW, can we see some new pics of Miss Sierra?  :-*

No need to ask - I'll jump at the chance to show off my beautiful girl!  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 01:57:30 am »
Awww she is the cutest ball of fur ever!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:03:05 am »
Ahhh, I just love her.  ;D ;D  She's adorable...top to tummy!!!   :-*

It's great news that she's starting to let you know when she needs to go out.  Good job, Sierra!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:08:59 am »
Beautiful baby....I love the pouffy puppy ears.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:12:41 am »
It's impossible not to love her.  She's literally a dream come true for me.  I have always wanted a Newf for as long as I can remember and never thought I'd own one because of the size and I never thought I'd find someone willing to live with a huge dog that slobbers.  And now I know I have found Mr. Right, because he is willing to do this for me.  He hates drool, even though Sierra has totally and completely won him over.  Sometimes I look at her and can't believe she's actually mine!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:17:52 am »
By the way, I just want to thank everyone for your helpful advice and for the sweet comments!  You are all very good in making newcomers feel welcome here!!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret